Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in Charleston, SC | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

Charleston, SC

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Work/Life balance (depending on your contract) (in 503 reviews)

• Most projects make it easy to work from home a day a week, if not 100% of the time (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 180 reviews)

• When a contract ends, it is your responsibility to find a new one or else receive a lack of work letter, terminating your employment (in 80 reviews)

1. "Booz Allen Lead Associate"

Current Employee - Lead Associate (Project Manager) in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Lead Associate (Project Manager) in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great support for military reserve members; excellent mobility opportunities between offices, regions; fantastic record of placing personnel on new work after tasks end. Very flexible work arrangements, etc.

Cons

Must be comfortable with constant change; not the highest salary, although other benefits, including recognition, are still very good.

Advice to Management

More and better integration between the commercial business and government sections of the firm; better salary opportunities for employees less interested in the flexible work options and other perks.

2. "Software Development Test Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexible work environment that has a nice set of perks to go along with the job.

Cons

The pay isn't the best.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible about working remote.

3. "Scrum Master"

Former Employee - Scrum Master in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Scrum Master in Charleston, SC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, good company with really good benefits and company internal training resources.

Cons

Low pay, Local Management's lack of knowledge of their employees, Not capitalizing on employees previous experience and ideas for improvement, and personnel mentoring program non-existent

Advice to Management

Learn from the experiences of your older and more experienced employees. Allow Career Manager the opportunity to mentor younger employees

4. "Booz Allen engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and flexibility in work schedule

Cons

Repetitive work with minimal engineering going on. Most of the work is maintaining existing systems and not designing anything new. Engineers are doing technician work.

Advice to Management

Keep better track of your employees. Know what they're doing (or not doing) so you aren't surprised if people aren't happy.

5. "Not enough training available for newbies."

Former Employee - Technologist in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Technologist in Charleston, SC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Project I worked on made a big impact. Employees work really hard to make a difference. We did our best to work together when hire ups did not.

Cons

Happy hours are more frequent than community activities.

There were also no expectations set or ways for employees to be evaluated on. Didn't know how my work was evaluated.

Advice to Management

Provide more training to new comers.
    Set people y for success with some expectations.
    Let employees know what other positions are above theirs so they can look forward to growth.

6. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Associate in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good ethics, strong company values, excellent training/education opportunities

Cons

Expect employees to take on additional responsibilities. Milk the employee for every possible $.

Advice to Management

I do not wish to provide any advice to management.

7. "Technician 3"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Pros

This is a good company with stability, name recognition, and a lot of opportunity to move up. Their projects are interesting, and they're starting to adopt a more open work lifestyle.

Cons

Given that this is a large entity, there is a lot of corporate red tape that can be tedious and frustrating. Some of the upper management, at least in my office, has an obsolete approach to management.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the corporate nonsense, and continue to evolve your treatment of employees. The acquisition of Sparc was a very good step, and many of the progressive work policies from that company have been maintained.

"Amazing place to grow your network!"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Booz Allen Hamilton has allowed me to grow my personal and professional network, with reach into markets and clients not possible before. I'm able to help my clients by bringing a perspective that no other consulting firm can match. Being able to take what the Navy has done and apply to similar requirements in the Army, leveraging lessons learned is great.

The internal resources that BAH provides are also great. It's the little things like apps for timesheets, expenses, and others that go so far!

Cons

I can see that those who have been with BAH for a long time have seen a lot of change, some of which not for the better. That said; most change has been for the better of the firm and is required to stay competitive in this crazy market. I think the "grass is always greener" and have seen many come right back after leaving BAH.

Advice to Management

Embrace the change in our market direction and help those looking to excel in technical delivery be able to be recognized and make the investment to allow for them to grow. Invest in proposal and people management, allowing for increased focus on client delivery staff.

9. "Sr Consultant/ cyber Security Engineer"

Former Employee - Information Assurance Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Information Assurance Engineer in Charleston, SC

Pros

Great benefits. if you're proted you get an extra weeks vacation.

Cons

Salaried & expected to work over 40 hours a week without extra pay, but cuts your pay if you're under hours.Hard workers arent always recognized.

Advice to Management

Think of employees more instead of managements own advancement.

"Awesome to Awful, a 3 year spin"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The workload was great, the pay was competitive, it was a nice challenging engineering position with ARINC (which was bought out by BAH in 2012, and transitioned into the firm in 2013/2014). Benefits were par for the course, coworkers were friendly and agreeable, and for contract work, they do a good job of keeping people with billable work.

Cons

No promotion path, pitiful raises for even the top performers, citing economic reasons and the need to keep costs down to be competitive, and at the mercy of the people bidding for work. Better hope they bid good work for you instead of work that you're overqualified for. There's been a fairly large and concerning exodus of senior staff and management in the past year, and incoming work has gone from design and engineering to cable fabrication and manual labor. Benefits got "restructured" a few times (and restructuring is never to benefit the employee) and the job is nothing like it used to be

Advice to Management

Internal promotions. Make people feel like staying could actually be beneficial. I've watched many younger employees come in, work 3-4 years, and go somewhere else to get a promotion to something they should have had a year or two ago. Managers come in, do a few projects and leave. Promotions could actually give this office some stability instead of the astronomical turnover rate that we currently experience.

Showing 12 of 3,965 reviews