Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in Herndon, VA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Booz Allen Hamilton President and CEO Horacio D. Rozanski
Horacio D. Rozanski

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 175 reviews)

• If you are not bringing in "billable hours" you will receive an LOW Lack of Work and have 30 days to find a new contract or be let go (in 78 reviews)

1. "Relaxed Culture"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, work from home when contracts allow, don't work you to death

Cons

Tech is dependent on contracts, work can be dull

Advice to Management

push newer tech in contracts

2. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People that you work with is great. There are lot of smart people.

Cons

They care about hiring lot of people that they can throw into a project instead of building a good team.

"Great people - awful management"

Former Employee - Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- My coworkers and immediate bosses were amazing and great people
    - The benefits are nice. They include a lot of interesting benefits like lawyer and IVF/adoption assistance
    - They offer a lot of various awards/bonuses for good work
    - if you're a workaholic this is great thriving environment

Cons

- it took upper management a really long time before we were able to actual hire more help.
    - the amount of work I was slotted to do was for two people not one. The stress was just insane after a certain point.
    - expected to be on call ALL THE TIME.
    - hierarchy is really stressed there which I'm just not a fan of personally. I realize that's the case for most jobs but it was extremely prevalent here.
    -Work/life balance is stressed here as a part of the culture but all I got was "work all the time," so much that I didn't know where or if I even had the "life" part.
    - working 50-60 hr work weeks.
    - if your not a workaholic and want to have a life outside of work, this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Even though you have tons of employees, there needs to be a bit of balance between work load and life. I left because I ended up getting emotionally and mentally burnt out pretty severely.

"Lead Associate"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 8 years)

Pros

Booz Allen is an excellent to begin a career. You will learn solid consulting skills, work with some very smart people, have opportunities to participate in an abundance of networking opportunities, interest groups, training events, social media , mentoring circles and numerous other forums. The company pays well if you have in demand skills such as cyber security or data science. If not, pay is still about the same as any other contractor, although there is no bonus opportunity until Senior Associate. If you’re good expect regular promotions every 2 – 5 years from Consultant up through Lead Associate.

Cons

For high performing people the progression stops at Lead Associate. The company has a bottle neck of very talented people at that level. Promotion to the next level, Senior Associate, is shrouded in mystery. Unlike most other companies, there is no process for identifying high potential candidates and providing them assignments to grow their talents. Instead the company subscribes to a “You are in charge of your own career; use your network to find your next assignment” philosophy. The best people do just that. Unfortunately for the company, their network extends well beyond Booz Allen and many leave the firm as a result.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership needs to stop constantly rearranging the organization and focus on getting out of the office and developing new business. Identify the cadre of people you want to keep and provide them a clear roadmap and timeline to the next level. Compensation should meet or exceed the competition which implies the bonus program needs to be pushed down to the Lead Associate level. Show a little less mercy for your marginal performers.

"Started off great, went downhill from there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues,important work, and flexible working arrangements with good telework options.

Cons

Your work satisfaction depends greatly on your particular contract...my work became mundane and unstimulating that it could have been done by someone with a high school education. I definitely was not engaged in the kind of work I was promised when I joined the firm...work that would challenge my skills, knowledge, and abilities. Also, their benefits package, especially the 401(k), got worse and worse each year.

Advice to Management

You are losing your top talent each year as your benefits package gets worse and you don't adequately build new areas of business. Stop treating employees that are engaged in proposal development as a drag on your billable metrics...you have to keep the pipeline of contract work strong, especially in areas (I.e. Healthcare) that Booz Allen traditionally hasn't had a long history of work. Utilize your employees' talents better.

"Great opportunity(s) - but be ready to work"

Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to grow and be tested in your area of expertise and career overall. I loved learning around other people who were experts in my field and other fields. And there is a certain prestige that comes with having Booz Allen Hamilton in your email signature and your business card. It's up to you to live up to it though and they will help you do that. And finally, because it is a relationship-based company and business, you can make some friends in and out of the office.

Cons

In my opinion, and I know other alumni will disagree, but the company changed after going public. Despite their attempts to seem up to date and agile, they are still a buttoned up, staid culture. The benefits were great when I was there but I have since heard they're not so great anymore. I also did not like being rewarded for growth, whether it was a promotion or pay raise.

Advice to Management

Pay your people (better), and relax.

"Strategy Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Excellent work-life balance because you can bill your hours; Good opportunities for junior officers just separating from the military and with high-level security clearances.

Cons

When I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton, there was a lack of upward mobility. There were a lot of consultants stuck at the junior-mid level waiting long periods of time to get promoted.

"Not bad!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

Pros

- Very relaxed workplace. Booz is not a bunch of "suits" anymore. Casual attire now accepted unless you're client-facing.
    - Super fun coworkers. Lots of social events with coworkers and some bills were picked up by Big Booz.
    - Fairly good pay for the area.
    - Tons of learning opportunities. They'll take you as far as you want to go in terms of learning and really emphasize personal development.
    - Definitely room to move up. Promotions left and right.
    - Fairly good benefits.
    - Awesome work/life balance.
    - the SIG in Booz is always trying to take notes from Silicon Valley

Cons

- Not the most talented fellow engineers. Some fresh grads were coming in without knowing how to use the terminal. To be fair, Booz can get away with this because they honestly get paid to manual test their clients projects so Booz just throws their poor engineers at those projects.
    - If it's not clear by the manual testing project noted above, Booz can have some seriously bad client project. Ex. - 15 year old technologies that are hanging on by a thread. Have fun sifting through 15 years of hacked together, poorly designed programming and trying to tack on another patch.
    - Projects start and then inevitably die really painful slow deaths. Not much really comes from internal projects.
    - All the good engineers seem to leave after a year or so, leaving mostly bad hires to stick around. Most likely, the longer someone has been an engineer at Booz, the worse they are.
    - Really easy for other devs to "coast" at Booz and not have to progress.
    - I've heard "this is how I've always done it and it works" way too many times.

Advice to Management

Try to break everyone free from the culture of contentment. Push for greatness. Quit hiring terrible engineers just because you're hiring like crazy. Those will be the ones that will stick around for a decade.

10. "Amazing place to work if you are on the right contract"

Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Current Contractor - Senior Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

My current contract has allowed me to work from home when needed but is coming to an end in September. I'm currently looking for another project to work on which is a little frustrating since I can not work in to many different areas (single mom with a kid). Hopefully all will work out since Booz is really a nice place to work.

Cons

Because of Obama care, health insurance is not as great as it used to be...but still better than the alternative.

"Big on Teaming"

Former Employee - Help Desk Customer Support in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Help Desk Customer Support in Herndon, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of Room for growth within the firm on the teams that aren't customer facing (this is was the side of BAH that I experienced). Lots of team building activities. Hard work.
    Very professional colleagues.

Cons

Your experience here is dependent on who your team lead is and on some teams, the better you are at office politics, the better your chances at getting promoted. Par for the course.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the quiet team members. They also have a great deal to offer.

Showing 140 of 3,786 reviews