Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in Huntsville, AL | Glassdoor

Updated May 1, 2017

Huntsville, AL

5.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Work/Life balance (depending on your contract) (in 516 reviews)

• Most projects make it easy to work from home a day a week, if not 100% of the time (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 180 reviews)

• If not, employees get lack of work notice (in 81 reviews)

1. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Wonderful people to work with. Leadership allows flexibility.

Cons

When an organization, it inevitably becomes a bureaucracy. When the organization almost solely serves the government, the bureaucracy is even more apparent.

Advice to Management

none

2. "Great company for right out of college"

Former Employee - Consultant in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Booz was a great company as a first job right out of college. Salary was fair and benefits were good. They encourage a lot of professional development and additional learning. Lots of retired military.

Cons

The amount of former military could be off putting for some. It appeared that to progress in the company one would have to do bd at some point.

Advice to Management

Great company to start with. For first new college grads, start with the basics and don't assume they know anything about the ancillary job things (finances, retirement, job progression.

3. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than a year)

Pros

corporate support, good place for professional growth

Cons

communication is lacking between offices and corporate

4. "Best company I have worked for among the five governement contract companies I have been employed by."

Former Employee - Military Analyst in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Military Analyst in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A very professional and caring atmosphere driven towards mission accomplishment and a happy client employee relationship. Work toward a collaborative future as a team, made me feel at home. Challenging work and very fare compensation and an excellent benefits package, the best I have been a part of to date.

Cons

I have little negative to say about the company. I was in a unique situation which didn't help me out. Both of my first line leaders left the firm and as a lone on-client-site employee I got lost by the next level of leadership who really didn't know me or what I was doing.

Advice to Management

Care and Communicate

5. "Fantastic company"

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was one of the only places where I was surrounded by driven, intelligent, professionals. The work life balance was great, as was the compensation package. I liked the ability to work for multiple clients as well. They spend an awful lot of money on individual training too. It's a great chance to travel to other Booz Allen locations and network with others in the company.

Cons

I really didn't have any negative experiences when I was there. I know some of my other co-workers were less then satisfied with some of their Senior Associates though. Working on client-site is difficult to maintain a corporate identify when your leadership chain isn't keeping you involved or informed.

Advice to Management

Make sure on-site employees are effectively communicated with.

6. "Good Company"

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great professional development program, competitive pay and benefits

Cons

Not a lot of contracts in my location, They were removing/ changing benefit packages.

Advice to Management

None

"Wow. Not worth it."

Former Employee - Associate in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn new things.
    Lots of resources available, if you could justify them.
    Working with some very smart, very motivated people.

Cons

One of my customers referred to BAH as "the virus".
    Big promises, no follow-through.
    Hard to tell who's really looking out for you and who's trying to stab you in the back. (Based on conversations, though, this is unique to the office I was in).

"This once great consulting firm has become an outsourcing company"

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are pockets of the firm that still retain the former greatness of the Booz Allen culture. The collaborative spirit, adherence to core values, thought leadership, excellence in everything that they do, career development for all staff, professionalism (acting that way and treating others that way), client service, hiring the best and brightest. To date, I have not run upon anything quite like those aspects in my 10 year career. I learned things at Booz Allen that I would never have learned elsewhere, and really the "secret sauce" of what made Booz Allen great could really work anywhere.

Cons

Things were great when I first hired onto Booz Allen in 2008. Then things went quickly south. First the Carlyle buyout in mid-2008 which changed things a little but not appreciably. Then going public in late 2010 when the Partners said "nothing would change" when in fact everything changed (weekly utilization drills, increased scrutiny of expenses). Then the mass hiring in 2011 of unqualified staff for non-existent positions in the ill-timed, ill-advised "Take Share" initiative. Then the mass downsizing in 2011-2012. Bit by bit, the firm has become beholden to the shareholders versus what it was always beholden to: its clients. This has led the company to value a "butts in seats" outsourcing approach to government contracting versus the classical management consulting approach of the gilded age of Booz Allen. No longer are people valued at Booz Allen, they are just a commodity to be sold cheaply. When your task runs out, you're out the door. In some fairness to Booz Allen leadership, the clients (or really, client, the Federal Gov't) don't value thought leadership in the classical sense (The gov't provides the thought leadership, right?). Joking aside, I don't think that Booz Allen knows what hit them since the change was so gradual they really think that nothing has changed in the culture of the company.

One last thought and that is that the management at Booz Allen made a fatal mistake in relying on the double-digit annual revenue growth model where the firm's revenue grows fast, faster than the infrastructure can keep up leading to a growth-binge-growth-binge model where profits come from the infrastructure not keeping up. This model may have been great for the fat years, but is dismally insufficient for the current fiscally constrained environment.

Advice to Management

Go private again. This is what you always said was your big strength. Being private meant you could take long-term risks without worrying about immediate payoff. You could keep people on the bench longer because you weren't as worried about profit margins. You also didn't waste all that time on quarterly earnings reports and other drills.

"It's all about the "Company""

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company offers excellent salaries and benefits; however, those benefits have corroded significantly over the past 4 years, especially since the company went public.

Cons

Lack of work and life balance. Less than productive atmosphere - all about climbing the corporate ladder rather than doing the best in the job one holds.

Advice to Management

Allow employees who are interested in doing their current job well, not becoming a manager, to do so without pressure to constantly take on higher level duties. Not everyone wants to be in charge.

"Booz Allen Hamilton in transition..."

Current Employee - Associate in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Associate in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong historical culture of smart people, strong core values, doing quality work for government. Geographical offices across the country, primarily in places of concentrated federal operations. Good employer for veterans. Good employer for working mothers.

Cons

Company is going through a major transition -- went public in 2010, and is still dealing with the ramifications to its business model and culture. Company is doing better than its industry peers in this tough economic climate, but it can be a ruthless place to its employees right now -- pressure to maintain billability can be brutal.

Showing 16 of 4,050 reviews