Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Booz Allen Hamilton President and CEO Horacio D. Rozanski
Horacio D. Rozanski

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 176 reviews)

• If you are not bringing in "billable hours" you will receive an LOW Lack of Work and have 30 days to find a new contract or be let go (in 78 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company, Smart People"

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Great culture, and there is always work as an associate Subcontracts admin. Most Client Staff are great to work with. the Subcontracts team is very interactive and work closely with each other. If you dont know it, just ask, no one will undermine your work.

Cons

The internal and Government processes are intense and takes a lot of know how.
    Some client staff are difficult, but manageable because of great Subcontracts Leadership

Advice to Management

Great Subncontracts Management team, although work is hard, the management is great.

"Great people, terrible business"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Everyone -- even the difficult types -- are eager to work and excel. There are some senior officers with questionable morality, but most people here are great people to work with.

Cons

1. Federal clients. Don't forget that you'll move at their pace, not yours.
    2. The nature of the job means that sooner or later you'll be strategizing ways to get more money from the client (i.e. federal government), regardless of whether or not you'll actually add value. BAH runs on government money, a large chunk from DoD, and thus is part of the bigger problem we have in this country with fiscal responsibility.
    3. Living off the American taxpayer. Much of the money that flies around in DC is at the expense of everyone else everywhere else in the US, BAH is a major player in this system, particularly the defense technology sector.
    4. You'll never get paid what you're worth. The three lowest ranks (Consultant, Sr. Consultant, Associate) seldom make what they're worth, while senior management (looking at you, officers) make insane amounts of money.

Advice to Management

I'm leaving this job for two reasons, despite being hand-picked and groomed for greater responsibility by senior management.

1. You weren't paying me enough to do the job; especially when you factor in the amount of stress this job puts on a human being, the amount of time I sacrificed with my family, the amount of guilt this job inspired in me as an American.
    2. The job is not meaningful to anyone who doesn't lust for profits. At some point each of us gets a look at how the sausage is made, and then it becomes clear that the government is basically asking (literally sending out solicitations and announcements) to be ripped off. They don't need what we're selling, but they buy it anyways because Congress tells them to. This buys Congress fancy retirement plans at the same businesses that profit. But everyone else loses, and Booz Allen isn't doing enough to be a part of our nation's long-term fiscal stability.

3. "Associate, Program Manager"

Former Employee - Associate Program Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Program Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a large body shop such as Booz Allen Hamilton (BAH) has its perks such as always having a contract to transition to in the event you want to explore other career avenues, have conflict with a current team or teammates, or need to relocate - BAH is a global firm servicing clients from the Public Sector (US Gov't, State & Local, and other Governments globally) and Private Sector.

Cons

BAH, being a large firm, can be great, but also because of the size, you tend to bump up against a lot of bureaucracy and unnecessary "hoops" to jump through when you are looking to explore other areas within the firm. I personally attempted to switch from a client facing role supporting to US federal gov't to supporting the Private industry, leveraging my skill set (Data Analysis, Financial Modeling, Strategy & Operations, etc.) and it was more difficult to switch internally than it was obtaining the job and even more challenging than the actual work being delivered to my client base. When there's a process like that, employees get burnt out of attempting to switch account teams and eventually leverage their network and move on to another firm. Which I chose to do.

Advice to Management

If I could advise my peers and the VPs over the accounts, I would stress to the VP subordinates and lower to really understand who they hire and not just hire someone to hire them...knowing your employees and understanding their skill set, expertise, their strengths and what they need to work on (weaknesses) is vital to any organization and can be leveraged to suit the needs of your employees VS managing folks blindly - it takes more time, energy, and resources to manage employees that you don't know or understand, rather than taking more time to know them and spending less time on management tactics and trial & error. I continue to use my own advice as an entrepreneur and new business owner.

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, colleagues are the best part of the job.
    Collaborative and innovative atmosphere.
    A lot of awesome contracts, can move around fairly easy.
    Teleworking possibilities.
    Interfacing with industry and government clients and leaders everyday.
    Benefits are good.

Cons

Pay, not bad but not great.

Advice to Management

Pay your people the industry value, be salary competitive, helps retain and incentive employees.

6. "Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and excellent benefits.

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth.

7. "Great Work Place"

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart People, Trust in Employees, Autonomy in getting work done, Flexible work hours, Great benefits

Cons

Potential Growth, It's better to start at a higher position

Advice to Management

Provide Career Ladder steps to achieve vs. just self defined goals to achieve every year.

8. "Good company, hard to make your way up"

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was happy with my colleagues and flexible work from home policy

Cons

Good company, hard to make your way up

"Stifling"

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to move within the firm to other positions. Limited office space means more options for telework. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Low pay for internal employees, high healthcare costs, management offers little to employees in rewards or incentives, limited workspaces for those required to be in an office

Advice to Management

Invest more in your people, both internal & client side staff

10. "Firm Overview"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment; No up or out promotion requirements; and I received a great annual salary since I brought commercial consulting experience.

Cons

There is no strong culture branding.

"Ok company to work"

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Some people are good to work with.

Cons

-Pay discrimination against women.
    -I have being working for 3 years now and all I have doing is documentation. No engineering. All interesting work is out sourced to sub contractors.
    -No life/work balance.
    -Benefits are not that great.
    -Pay increments are very less 1%-3%
    -Very Political.

Advice to Management

Please stop lying and try acting as though you care about your junior employees.

Showing 672 of 3,830 reviews