Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews | Glassdoor

Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews

Updated September 24, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Work/Life balance (depending on your contract) (in 508 reviews)

• Most projects make it easy to work from home a day a week, if not 100% of the time (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 180 reviews)

• If not, employees get lack of work notice (in 81 reviews)

1. "Bad place for senior technical people"

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large variety of work and locations. Really talented advanced technical people, though rare, are really good. Many solid people at more workaday tasks (e.g. regular software development, operations).

Cons

Advanced technical work is rare and rates are low. The advanced data science practice that I was sold on at interview time largely doesn't exist. (One Senior Associate told me: "Most of our customers aren't even ready for simple analytics, much less advanced analytics.") Despite being told at interview time that there was tons of work near me, none of it could actually support my rate, so I was left with a choice of an hour+ commute or terrible contracts (I actually did some of both). I left in a year.

Advice to Management

Competing on price and advanced data science are incompatible.

2. "Not what it used to be"

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexibility, free coffee, decent pay

Cons

public company acting like a public company, benefits are the same as every other company, loss of contracts means less opportunity, nothing sets this company apart anymore...go wherever they will pay you the most.

Advice to Management

stop trying to "fix" the culture with new initiatives and let it happen organically. seen as overkill.

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Augusta, GA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The hiring process was fairly quick.

Cons

Pay raises were minimal. Received same line every year "Due to economic downturn you're getting a minimal raise in-spite of your great year" . Changed there retirement plan within 6 months of me working, was one of the reasons I accepted the offer. Work schedule was awful, 24/7 rotating schedule unless you were part of the in crowd. Every year take away vacation time.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people better.

4. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has some good benefits like 401k matching and more premium healthcare packagers.

Cons

I have been with the firm four years and have had 5 different career managers. With that much turnover in team management, it's hard to get ahead. It's a frustrating place, especially when the team seems to value social gatherings over actual hard work. So long as you become friends with your manager, you'll get ahead.

"Disappointing Experience, A Facade"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a handful of little perks that come with the job: monthly chance to win free tickets to major events, liberal telework policy, city appeal (for those who like that).

Cons

Booz Allen completely lacks any opportunities that are meaningful, challenging, or innovative. A large percentage of the work is staff augmentation, which is miserable. Almost all of their projects are things that the client is too lazy to do themselves. There is no actually need for Booz Allen, they exist and thrive out of the mere convenience of their clients and nothing more.

Also, Booz Allen is extraordinarily cheap.

Advice to Management

Stop pursuing any and every opportunity with a dollar value. You are so concerned with being good at everything and the result is that you are good at nothing.

You all have a terrible retention problem. Booz is not seen as a place people can actually have a career, it's merely a place where people because there is a lack of meaningful work. Your retention problem WILL NOT be solved by coming up with nonsensical "values". Your younger employees want relevancy, not meaningless and insincere, made-up nonsense.

Also, stop pretending that you have any footing in engineering work. You don't. You should never hire anyone with an engineering degree. You will never need them.

I had a difficult time getting another job at a legitimate company with Booz Allen on my resume. Booz was literally a stain on my resume.

"Not like it was"

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people; interesting mission with the right client.

Cons

The company went public and new focus shifted to maximizing shareholder wealth. Used to be a trusted adviser to the government, but now they are just another chop shop contractor.

"Zombies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-If you get to work at the corporate office, things aren't so bad. You have coffee, water, windows and your own desk.
    -Young environment
    -People know the company name
    -Can move to different positions relatively easily

Cons

-Micro-managed to the extreme - get ready for someone to ask you where you are if you stay in the restroom too long or a doctor appointment runs over. You have to put CALENDAR invites on every single person on your teams' calendars (5-6 people) when you have an appointment. God forbid you have to wait at the Dr an extra 30 minutes....better update that calendar invite!!!
    -Working on client site at a government facility is AWFUL: no windows (=no sunlight or access to the outside world), walk from parking lot to building is almost 1/2 a mile so you don't want to go anywhere for a break because it's such a pain, NO SPACE - 6-7 people to a cube, you work off of a laptop unless you're a lucky one that has snagged an actual computer, because there are so many people in one area there is NO privacy - don't even think about making a personal phone call or checking your personal email - you will get reprimanded
    -SUPER political and bureaucratic -everything is process driven, dull, SLOW, no creativity, black and white, 10 signatures to get one thing done
    -MEETINGS galore! There are meetings about meetings. No lie. I once sat through a meeting about how to properly structure a PowerPoint detailing what font and bullets are allowed.
    -They love busy work. They give you work to prove you're working. We are told to create complicated spreadsheets to detail every action we make, the status, details, and dates. We spend more time trying to track our actions than actually doing them.
    -Only accrue 10 hours of PTO a month

Advice to Management

STOP MICROMANAGING! It shows weakness in leadership and pushes your employees away. Micromanagement is a FAILURE of leadership. Employees need managers to stand behind them, not on top of them. Create a better work environment! Allow a few days of work away from client site. The clients WILL survive and guess what - the happier their support people are, the better support they will get. It's a win-win. Allow employees an allotted time to relieve stress during the day without them being penalized for going to the gym or taking some time to get some fresh air. SUPPORT mid-day gym time like most modern day companies. BAH needs to get out of the 1900's and embrace the modern times or they will have no great employees left after the old school mentality veterans die off.

"Better Consultancies Out There"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company gives you a good name on your resume, especially right out of school.

Cons

Poor management. Lack of communication from leadership team. Very cold leadership team that you could not trust. Only care about billable hours.

Advice to Management

Improve! Get to know your entry level employees

"Expensive firm living off past "glories""

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Better than most when it comes to supporting staff post-contract lost.

Cons

A bloated management construct limits upward mobility.

10. "Turning into giant temp agency"

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Stable job. some divisions are interesting than others. New data science division is expanding,

Cons

Not a clear path for growth. Leadership does not really care about those under them. The business model seems to be getting butts in seats.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy of how you'll develop a competitive advantage and grow your to team to be better.

Showing 519 of 4,020 reviews