Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6

3,840 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Work/Life balance (depending on your contract) (in 503 reviews)

• Most projects make it easy to work from home a day a week, if not 100% of the time (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 180 reviews)

• When a contract ends, it is your responsibility to find a new one or else receive a lack of work letter, terminating your employment (in 80 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company, Smart People"

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Great culture, and there is always work as an associate Subcontracts admin. Most Client Staff are great to work with. the Subcontracts team is very interactive and work closely with each other. If you dont know it, just ask, no one will undermine your work.

Cons

The internal and Government processes are intense and takes a lot of know how.
    Some client staff are difficult, but manageable because of great Subcontracts Leadership

Advice to Management

Great Subncontracts Management team, although work is hard, the management is great.

"Management careers only apply here"

Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Analyst in Herndon, VA

Pros

Booz Allen has an excellent reputation in the government contracting business and they have a presence in nearly every government agency and organization. If you are in the DC Metro area and are looking to get a stronger network presence, Booz Allen is excellent for creating such.

Cons

The corporate culture is focused on directing people to become project managers, department managers, etc. The forced process guarantees that you can only get promotions and raises if you follow the corporate hard line and eventually give up the job you came to do, be it analysis or software development or scientific research, in order to handle time sheets and mindless administrative tasks for a progressively larger group of people. The drive to bring in projects to make money also often leads to projects that are impossible to do well or with any kind of positive result - and these failures are passed down to the lowest levels - not left at the level where the decision was made to take on the project. These lead to low morale and negative feedback.

Advice to Management

Find another way to allow promotions and raises without forcing people into the 'must be a manager' career track. You hire people for their analytical skills, scientific knowledge, etc - don't make it so they have to stop doing what you hired them for, in order to 'succeed' with the company.

"Booz Is Decent Second Tier Player - For Whom Good Enough Is Often Good Enough"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Falls Church, VA

Pros

BAH is an extremely large consulting firm with substantial resources and many bright people. Employee benefits are fair to good. As a place to start work, or at an early stage in one's career, it can serve as a good resume builder.

Cons

On the government side, the firm manages to combine the lack of true results oriented focus and lack of creativity found in many quarters of the public sector, with a unequivocal focus on short term revenue generation, even at the cost of long term results.

While many in senor management like to fancy themselves, and the firm, as of a similar quality with quasi-competitors like BCG, Bain, or McKinsey, that is not at all the case, particularly on the government side (Booz Allen Hamilton - with the private sector side now a seperate entity dubbed booz and company). Much more of a systems consultant, with massive, often multi-year federal contracts, there is far more of an emphasis on quantity than quality.

Corporate ethics, while repeated incessantly on various forms and agreements (largely to comply with US Government standards) are, all too often, malleable in the service of short term revenue and profitability goals. All too telling, and all too accurate, was an article in a government contracting related publication headlined "Booz puts emphasis on ethics to avoid scrutiny". There you have it.

Advice to Management

More focus on excellence in hiring. Greater attention to the differences between US based operations and projects and international operations.

4. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Information Security Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Information Security Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

work flexibility, telecommute, work from home.

Cons

working on client site - lack of communication

Advice to Management

award time off

"Just another consulting company - you get lucky or you don't!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

Benefits, Work Life Balance at times, Always something going on in McLean in terms of training and activities. However, most are never lucky enough to be allowed to attend because they are chained to their seats on client site.

Cons

Management is HORRIBLE! Team cares more about making documents and deliverables "look pretty" as oppossed to the actual content of the items. You either get lucky with your manager, team, and project or you don't. And, don't even try to move around within. You will be black marked and described as no longer being a team player. Also, even though they claim they do not support "butts in seats" roles, if you are on the government side, you will almost always be performing a government-type job and may even be managing a government employee. And the worst was being told I could not attend training that had been scheduled and approved because I was not allowed to leave my seat at client site.

Advice to Management

If you don't care about your employees, they are not going to give anything back to you in terms of hard work and great feedback. You will continue to have constant turnover and become just another consulting company. When you have employees that come to you with great ideas and want to be challenged, you need to embrace that and help develop their careers! Instead, you look poorly on them for having their own opinions and do nothing to challenge them. I know if I was a manager and I had an employee that was eager to learn and become involved with Booz Allen, I would take them under my wing and do everything I could to help them succeed, even if this meant helping them join another team where their skillsets and career goals would be met! Management does NONE of this. Care, you need to care. When you don't, you can't even imagine the effects it has on the people working for you. They become so disengaged and no longer care about anything. You are ruining the people, you are making them jaded that they cannot get out of consulting fast enough. Take care of your people. Something so simple and easy would make a WORLD of difference.

"Nobody will notice your contributions unless you're lucky and get on the right team."

Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

Stable firm with great growth, lots of different types of work.

Cons

Level III is a dead end for most employees. Terrible employee "mobility" program that does absolutely NOTHING. HR constantly screwed up my paychecks and tax witholding. "Luck of the draw" in which team you get assigned to - some are great and others are really messed up. Senior management is totally disconnected and rarely seen by employees III and lower, especially on client site or at satellite offices.

Advice to Management

Actually come by and see your employees once in a while, find out what they're doing, and find out what they want/need/care about. Seems like many senior people don't have a clue as to what their employees are doing. Nobody above a level III has ever even come into my office.

"Entry-level workers beware!"

Former Employee - Researcher in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Researcher in McLean, VA

Pros

I believe that the best reason to work at Booz Allen was the number of interesting speakers and brown bag lunches that were open to anyone. I learned a great deal by attending random information sessions. While this didn't make up for otherwise wasting my time, I did feel like this training was very valuable and gave me a lot of knowledge to follow up on in the future.

Cons

Job hunters, beware! Booz Allen has been growing at an unsustainable rate. Managers hire excess workers, then let them sit in offices with nothing to do, sometimes for months. Advancement, security clearances, training - if you want it, you'd better be ready to fight for it, as managers will leave you to fend for yourself. "Networking" within the company consisted of my manager handing me a list of people who didn't know either of us and requesting that I call them and ask to be put on their projects. All in all, I had a very bad experience. I was told that this is mostly because I didn't have any family or friends in Booz Allen prior to going there, as this is how the typical person enters the company. After all of this mistreatment, I had to repay Booz Allen for the tuition that they had paid for and the moving expenses that they had covered.

Advice to Management

It's a poor idea to hire people and give them no work. It's also really unacceptable to severely lowball people's salaries, then tell them that there's no room to move on it. You couldn't move on salary; I couldn't bring myself to stay.

"Beware! Don't work here."

Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

For younger employees, a chance to learn a lot. Very liberal budget for IT and travel. Very good benefits.

Cons

Its a sweat shop. You are expected to be on call, working, checking email, 24/7/365. They have no sympathy for family issues that require time away from work. They fire good people at the drop of a hat with little justification. Performance, ratings, while supposedly based on 360 degree feedback, is subject to change by management if they decide they don't like you. Management hires their friends at outragiously high salaries, thereby denying internal candidates new opportunities.

Advice to Management

Quit and let someone with a sense of values and high ethical standards run the company.

"Booz Allen Hamilton Linthicum Maryland office feedback"

Former Employee - Associate in Linthicum, MD
    Former Employee - Associate in Linthicum, MD

Pros

For this specific Booz Allen Hamilton group in Linthicum, Maryland, the best reason for working there is the opportunity to obtain a high level security clearance. Most of the work done in this office requires a security clearance and having an active clearance is very advantageous in this area of the country.

Cons

Booz Allen and Hamilton in the Linthicum Maryland office is a very competitive working environment, meaning that your colleagues are all working against each other to try to obtain work and assignments. This corporate culture has created an environment of mistrust of others motives, lack of information sharing, misinformation being provided across the organization and a general cut throat mentality.

Advice to Management

The corporate culture instilled in your organization is causing the greatest amount of attrition at Booz Allen and Hamilton. Promoting a more equitable, fair and cooperative work environment would improve morale and encourage more employees to stay and want to join your organization.

"I think Booz Allen Hamilton is a good company, but..."

Former Employee - Consultant Level I in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant Level I in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I think it is probably a very good company to work - I think there were problems in my particular office. I came in with the expectations that I would be working on a particular project and that project never came to fruition. I was put on another project that I was hearing bad things about. They were right. I was pretty disappointed, as I had heard good things about the company.

Cons

Highly political, very little information forthcoming from management on your position there, responsibilities.

Advice to Management

I think the "mothership" should take a good look at the Atlanta office.

Showing 3,840 of 3,965 reviews