Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 25, 2017
3,573 reviews

Full-time Part-time

3,573 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Work life balance is good compared to other consulting firms because most projects are locally based (in 474 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, work from home when contracts allow, don't work you to death (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 172 reviews)

• If you are not bringing in "billable hours" you will receive an LOW Lack of Work and have 30 days to find a new contract or be let go (in 78 reviews)

1. "Lead Associate"

Former Employee - Team Lead in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Core Values that are lived by most

Cons

Not many private industry of clients

2. "Excellent People"

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Excellent People, amazing work and even better clients

Cons

Leadership sometimes forgets about those in the shadows

3. "Senior consultant"

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Excellent teamwork and project culture. Consistent hours and flexible commuting.

Cons

Project staffing can be outside your control. Lots of turnover which affected culture.

5. "It really opened a new door to a total new life"

Pros

Great salary, family oriented, good benefits, great organization for Veterans to work for. I was afraid to my near future after getting out of the Army, and now I can feel secured knowing that this organization will take care of me and my family.

Cons

I can't really think in any cons. My recommendation to those who are looking for a job, to be persistent and the most important part, have a very professional resume done, this is a very professional organization and they are also looking for professionals.

6. "communications specialist, senior"

Current Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible work schedule, broadening opportunities, job security

Cons

lower than average salary and bonus

7. "Analyst"

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

great atmosphere with great benefits

Cons

nothing bad to say about them

Advice to Management

none

8. "Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse Client Profile, Promotion of a quality Work/Life Balance, Interesting Work Available, Great non-work events are organized, some Family Focused and some Networking and Recruitment, and Solid Investment in Employee Progression

Cons

Engagement with Senior Leadership is sometimes sparse. It is possible to hide in a large company, and the "Career Guide" model is taking measures to improve.

Advice to Management

Come to as many events as you can, promote as many events as you can, it only strengthens the unity of your career teams and the unity of the company.

9. "Associate"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great flexibility, wonderful and intelligent colleagues.

Cons

I can't think of any yet.

10. "Not bad, not wonderful"

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. Clock in your hours and you're done; usually nothing additional is asked. My skill set has broadened.

Cons

Mobility to different projects/contracts can be daunting. Be prepared to work on assignments you weren't hired for.

"Great People and Relaxed Environment. Limited Growth."

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The majority of people I worked with were great, genuine people.

Booz Allen has to be the industry leader for work/life balance. Because of this, it’s not uncommon for people to have other major sources of income on the side. It really is amazing the amount of free time you have when working for a government contractor.

For the most part, managers are always available to talk to about any issue and they really try to put you on projects that you want. You can easily get by on 10am-4pm days. I personally know a lot people who only showed up to work when they had meetings. Also, to get a job at Booz Allen, you don't even have to do a case study.

Booz Allen is an excellent brand name. It’s really overwhelming how highly external recruiters and firms think of Booz Allen. Obviously, this is a huge positive, since if you don’t move up as quickly as you would like at Booz Allen, you can just leave, for probably a much better offer monetarily. This is really important at any large corp, since oftentimes it is very crowded come promotion time.

Cons

Some in upper management and HR at Booz Allen have a bad habit of lying. This is more so than I’ve seen at really any other company I’ve worked at, so it’s worth mentioning. They will absolutely lie to you when trying to recruit you. They’ll tell you about bonuses and fast promotion. It’s important to know that it is company policy that no one below senior associate gets any bonuses, regardless of what they tell you. They have this vague concept called the ‘People Model’, but in reality it’s just a bunch of false promises; no two managers give the same definition of it.

Booz Allen is currently in this weird stage of deciding if they should be more than a government contractor. They spend a lot amount of money (which they get from huge gov't contracts) in anything that has the word ‘innovation’ and in creating products that don’t have a legit chance of selling. That money could be better spent elsewhere; for instance, the firm wonders why their commercial arm isn’t getting any legs, but it’s really because they don’t bring in any legit rainmakers. You can’t ask government workers with no industry connections to bring in commercial business - that’s not a good strategy.

Other than that: health benefits are relatively subpar. no bonus unless you're senior associate above, regardless of what they tell you.

Overall: If you’re looking for an extremely relaxed environment at a big consulting shop, I really couldn’t recommend any better place to work. If you’re fairly technical and want to challenge yourself professionally, I’d recommend looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be a product firm. Hire more MBAs to focus on quantifying return on investment on some internal investments. Impossible to retain legit talent without bonuses.

Showing 3,573 of 3,679 reviews