Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Booz Allen Hamilton US Reviews

United States

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Work/Life balance (depending on your contract) (in 524 reviews)

• Most projects make it easy to work from home a day a week, if not 100% of the time (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 180 reviews)

• If not, employees get lack of work notice (in 82 reviews)

"3 years at booz"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

Work life balance - I almost never work more than 40 hours a week
    Respect - entry level/junior employees are shown a great deal of respect from other employees.

Cons

Commute - driving to Tyson's corner is absolute agony
    From my experience in training classes, there are a lot of fakers at Booz. Guys that talk a lot without knowing anything. Fortunately I haven't had any on my projects.
    Paychecks are once a month.

Advice to Management

Please continue to respect work/life balance. I came here from a job that required 50+ hours a week every week. The free time means a lot to me.

"No response"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The online training available it adequate. The option for tuition reimbursement is great, if you want to take courses during your tenure.

Cons

I have had no support from my team. My admin is very stressed and has pressure from his leader that is funneled down.

Advice to Management

Place your employees where they prefer to work and they will be happier. Offer more flexibility for home/work life balance.

"Not a great place to expand your technical knowledge."

Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

Good benefits, salary is relatively competitive with other firms in the DC area when you factor in the benefits & the name for the resume. A variety of opportunities and career paths. Many of the employees are experts in their fields.

Cons

Salary (by itself) is not great. Salary appears to be arbitrary and varies widely (10K+) by team/office -- even if in the same metro area. Difficult to move to other projects. Highly technical people need not apply, they just don't have a wide array of technical work that needs to get done. Full battle gear business attire is required every day. There answer to everything is "it depends." They should be able to give straight answers, particularly to new college grads.

Advice to Management

Drop the words "it depends" from your recruiting process. Job offers should be firm, or at the very least include a clause stating that your actual placement might be drastically different than the offer. Stop hiring technical people (ie. Computer Science grads) if you can't place them in positions that utilize those skills.

4. "Solid career, pretty happy."

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

Pros

Good business model, assessments are fair.

Cons

Really hard to advance past Associate.

Advice to Management

Spread out levels of advancement so that everyone is not a 3!

5. "Great place to work, many opportunities"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

Pros

This place is absolutely full of some of the most educated, optimistic, intelligent and flexible people I have ever worked with. For the most part, Associates and below make excellent employees, collaborators and friends. I have felt challenged and full of great things to do.

Cons

Many of the large contracts run by Booz Allen are so far distanced from the company that many employees become more of a fixture in their individual contract than in the company at large.

Advice to Management

Establish a track for those in the company who wish to continue to improve their skills in their chosen discipline, rather than requiring all managers to sell business and win contracts to get ahead.

6. "Booz Allen has grown"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

Pros

Work life balance is very good. They are located everywhere which makes looking for jobs internall if you move very nice.

Cons

It has grown enormously and I don't know if the management has fully figured out how to handle it.

Advice to Management

Work on cutting off some of the fluff in the company. There are too many employees for the work. Stop taking advantage of the government.

7. "Very satisfied"

Current Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Norfolk, VA

Pros

This is a great place to work If you're willing to work hard and learn to work within the culture

Cons

Lots of unwritten "rules" - just find a good mentor or two to guide you through

Advice to Management

Keep leading

"Not good for Health"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Money, career advancement if you are in the right industry practice, great networking with other people at your level, good strategy experience

Cons

The Principals (Associate becomes Senior Associate becomes Principal becomes Partner) are often the study leads, but can be horrible people managers.

Advice to Management

Encourage managers to create team loyalty by being nice to the staff. I know there is work to be done, but the Associates are smart folks chosen for a reason, and undermining them constantly makes for a bad work environment.

9. "Good opportunities, if you are willing to sacrifice work life balance."

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

Good opportunities for growth. The firm really puts a lot of time and energy into the employee review process and holds managers accountable for developing their staff. The feedback from the reviews are helpful in identifying growth areas and are tailored for your own career goals.

Cons

Work life balance can be hard to achieve, especially for senior staff members. Also, it is becoming harder to maintain the same culture as the firm has grown and senior management has become more distant.

Advice to Management

The firm has grown tremendously in the past decade. Take a closer look at what has made the firm such a great company to work for and ensure the core components don't get lost in the shuffle of all the change that is happening.

10. "Bait and switch"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA

Pros

There are a lot of very well connected people walking the halls in McLean, VA. It is a very interesting environement to work in, you have to be very comfortable dealing with the government red tape. Compensation was acceptable, but I did have to work hard and negotiate it back up to where I was with my pervious employer.

Cons

They said you can meet anyone from an Astronaut to a Prima Ballerina when I hired on and they were correct. But, they also enticed me with an overseas opportunity... unfortunately when I actually joined three of the key people within my group quit! (all at once). They had had enough, this was an extreme case and does not happen often. Given how slowly partners react to their internal organizational troubles it makes sense...

Advice to Management

Improve the work life balance for the teams. As in any organization there are people who seem to work 24x7 and just as many (if not more) who are just barely doing 9-5 M-F... They need to purge some of that dead weight (govt or not) and help out the work horses.

Showing 172 of 4,140 reviews