Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews | Glassdoor

3,804 reviews

Full-timePart-time

3,804 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Work/Life balance (depending on your contract) (in 497 reviews)

• Most projects make it easy to work from home a day a week, if not 100% of the time (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 180 reviews)

• When a contract ends, it is your responsibility to find a new one or else receive a lack of work letter, terminating your employment (in 80 reviews)

1. "Software Development Test Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great flexible work environment that has a nice set of perks to go along with the job.

Cons

The pay isn't the best.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible about working remote.

2. "Associate, Program Manager"

Former Employee - Associate Program Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Program Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a large body shop such as Booz Allen Hamilton (BAH) has its perks such as always having a contract to transition to in the event you want to explore other career avenues, have conflict with a current team or teammates, or need to relocate - BAH is a global firm servicing clients from the Public Sector (US Gov't, State & Local, and other Governments globally) and Private Sector.

Cons

BAH, being a large firm, can be great, but also because of the size, you tend to bump up against a lot of bureaucracy and unnecessary "hoops" to jump through when you are looking to explore other areas within the firm. I personally attempted to switch from a client facing role supporting to US federal gov't to supporting the Private industry, leveraging my skill set (Data Analysis, Financial Modeling, Strategy & Operations, etc.) and it was more difficult to switch internally than it was obtaining the job and even more challenging than the actual work being delivered to my client base. When there's a process like that, employees get burnt out of attempting to switch account teams and eventually leverage their network and move on to another firm. Which I chose to do.

Advice to Management

If I could advise my peers and the VPs over the accounts, I would stress to the VP subordinates and lower to really understand who they hire and not just hire someone to hire them...knowing your employees and understanding their skill set, expertise, their strengths and what they need to work on (weaknesses) is vital to any organization and can be leveraged to suit the needs of your employees VS managing folks blindly - it takes more time, energy, and resources to manage employees that you don't know or understand, rather than taking more time to know them and spending less time on management tactics and trial & error. I continue to use my own advice as an entrepreneur and new business owner.

3. "Good company that will help you excel"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Dahlgren, VA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Dahlgren, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (Less than a year)

Pros

- communication
    - educational benefits (lots of in-house cert training)

Cons

- Expect you to attend meetings at local office and then make up the time at your job site (aka work for free)

4. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Wonderful people to work with. Leadership allows flexibility.

Cons

When an organization, it inevitably becomes a bureaucracy. When the organization almost solely serves the government, the bureaucracy is even more apparent.

Advice to Management

none

"The life of a Senior Associate"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity! I was challenged to make the most of every situation and bring the best thought leadership, innovation and talent the firm had to offer. Leadership was involved but let me run with my ideas through the gifts of feedback, gentle guidance and resources.

Cons

Some leaders were less than helpful if your initiatives did nit support their plans. Sometimes forced to hire less than capable staff. Complex pricing structure with regular changes communicated then not implemented.

Advice to Management

Continue to hold to the Core Values that made Booz Allen famous. Never sell your integrity.

6. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people rewarding work

Cons

Not the most competitive pay

"Average Company"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Solid government contracts and job security. Very good work/life balance. (Ended up at BAH through a buy-out. The transfer went well with fair treatment by BAH and with minor loss of previous benefits.)

Cons

Very top heavy. More of a consulting firm than a technical engineering firm. However, BAH is trying to break out of their good ole boy system stereotype. Office hoteling is the worst system one could impose on engineers.

Advice to Management

For work well done, cash goes a lot further than inspirational quotes etched on a ridiculous rock. Dump hoteling.

"Some Good / Some Bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mc Lean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mc Lean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Definitely some smart people around and some interesting projects. Need to get a bit lucky to get promotion. It's important to stay connected to fast-risers. Good training and opportunities to learn.

Cons

They'll pay you if they like you or if you ask. They won't pay you just for doing a good job.

Very political - anybody who is remotely right of center is not welcome. You would expect that attitude from younger people, but it goes straight up through middle management all the way through the officers.

It's not clear what senior leadership actually does, other than come up with new and silly names for things every couple of years.

"Closely guarded old boys club to enter senior leadership"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance, decent perks, flexibility in work location. Overall, a decent place to work if you're not too keen on getting promoted...

Cons

Closely guarded old boys club to enter senior leadership, bureaucracy of the military industrial complex...

Advice to Management

Create merit based promotion structure and incentives...

10. "My review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My co-workers were top notch and my client was easy to work with.

Cons

Depending on the program and client you support, Government consulting can easily get stale and repetitive.

Advice to Management

None, for the most part, my direct management was responsive and accommodating to requests.

Showing 3,804 of 3,923 reviews