Cover image for Booz Allen Hamilton

Consulting

18d

works at

Booz Allen Hamilton

For those who have experience at both Deloitte and Booz Allen Hamilton , I know that PDM gets a lot of hate on this app, but is it really that different from typical onsite work at Booz Allen Hamilton ?

15 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and the pace is very slow for those that like to work at a slow pace.(in 737 reviews)
  • "Great work and people!(in 569 reviews)
  • "Great work/life balance and very flexible when it comes to work location for off client site.(in 479 reviews)
  • "Great Culture and a Good Place to Work(in 231 reviews)
  • "Good pay and the people I work with on a daily basis are great.(in 226 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management particularly with career and reporting managers who rule with an iron fist.(in 218 reviews)
  • "Salaries are low and unequal.(in 213 reviews)
  • "Career Managers and senior leadership don't seem to care what happens once you're placed on a project.(in 180 reviews)
  • "Hope you get a good Manager and not someone who's there because of their title.(in 144 reviews)
  • "Long hours and lack of flexibility (at times)(in 71 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Booz Allen Hamilton and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Excellent

Dec 1, 2022 - Staff Scientist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Willing to work with employees in difficult circumstances Great benefits Great leadership

Cons

Positions often require security clearance

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I love this job

Nov 17, 2022 - Senior Consultant in Vandenberg AFB, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are legitimately passionate about the work. It makes a huge different. The have some helpful benefits as well. They have a large network of very knowledgeable people and it's really easy to navigate and connect with people that you need to.

Cons

The pay is little low. Especially for the cost of living on the Central Coast of California. I know several people that work the same or similar position somewhere else in the US (where their cost of living for their area is a fraction of what it is here) and they're making $80K - $110K. Because of this, many of our positions are understaffed because no one wants to move to an area where they're paid more and pay less to survive.

3. Join the Booz Allen Hamilton team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

401k Matching Only Vests Dec. 31st

Nov 22, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent place to work. Feels fairly standard. Benefits mostly seem pretty solid, and their lowest tier of healthcare is actually FREE, as in no money out of your paycheck. That's a pretty cool model.

Cons

Requisitions for software take forever. I needed a certain software to do my job and it took ~2 months to get it approved and acquired. As far as 401k matching, they vest their matchings on a year-by-year basis, all at once on the 31st of December. Meaning if you leave on Christmas, pretty much an entire year's worth of matching goes down the tubes. To me, that sounds like a gotcha-tactic to save a couple of figurative pennies and indicates bad faith.. I could work at the place for 20 years and they'd still try to keep up to a year's worth of matching, no matter what. Eventually employees are going to catch on and you'll end up with mass annual exoduses on New Year's day. It's a scummy practice in my opinion. As far as pay, I'm personally paid waay under-market. Asking for a raise doesn't seem to be yielding anything for myself and a few others, so I'm sadly looking elsewhere for competitive pay. Titles seem to be a liiittle bit inflated here as well, but I could be wrong.

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee

It's not a bed of roses

Nov 28, 2022 - Lead Associate in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

BAH pays very well which makes it hard to leave to go to another firm.

Cons

I've been employed by BAH for several years, so this isn't a review from a disgruntled employee and I'll probably retire from here b/c I don't want to learn another culture, but this place is rough! No work/life balance. Lots of backstabbers. Leadership likes to create different councils to talk about how great we are, but in reality, most everyone is miserable. Clients are great to work with and we do exciting things but burnout is real.