Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in San Antonio, TX | Glassdoor

Updated September 13, 2017

San Antonio, TX

3.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Work/Life balance (depending on your contract) (in 517 reviews)

• Most projects make it easy to work from home a day a week, if not 100% of the time (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the work/life balance is not there (in 180 reviews)

• If not, employees get lack of work notice (in 81 reviews)

1. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Work Life balance is great. Company cares about feed back from employees and helps foster growth. Great contracts that we work on. Pro Military.

Cons

Contracts come and go sometimes indicates possible lay offs. Pay increases lack. Sometimes difficult for the company to invest in infrastructure. Need more opportunity for people in the private sector contracts.

Advice to Management

I would say that the Management should be more competitve with salary pay. Also needs to invest in infrastructure and paid, leave and sick time.

"Excellent company,"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Good salary and benefits.

Cons

Some of the leadership are used car salesmen.

Advice to Management

Return to your core values of retaining top talent and developing them purposefully. In the current approach the firm is no different than any other service provider defense contractor. Some of the recent talent acquisitions were focused more on their price-point than quality and the client has noticed.

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Bureacratic and high turnover rate for young consultants.

4. "It was OK"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people in some places. Lots of Opportunties

Cons

Based my role and title on my salary requirement instead of my experience.

Advice to Management

When someone doesn't know the company position titles, please take the time to work with potential candidates and place them where appropriate. Don't say "you want to be paid $XX so you will come in as role X.

"Avoid the IMAG Team"

Former Employee - Lead Game Designer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Game Designer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic client, many great and motivated worker bees. Booz Allen Hamilton culture, as I learned it at orientation and interacting with people elsewhere, is superb. But instead of orientation, there is now online training, and the culture does not reach the IMAG team.

Cons

Upper management has no software development experience. One bad manager has driven out a TON of senior people, and upper management buys his lies unquestioningly. Workplace went from wonderful offices to giant cube farm with no storage. I worked at the IRS call center and had more storage than what they have now. Loud and many many people in each room.In three years there I never saw a promotion from Associate to Lead Associate; instead they repeatedly drove out the higher paid associates and hired Lead Associates with no software or game development backgrounds. Booz people on other teams (and in other cities) seem much better than IMAG, all because of management. More than one former employee (in the "loop") has told me it's far worse than I saw. My review is of the IMAG team specifically, not the company as a whole. First time I've lost a job with more than one year in with no notice and no severance; they'll screw you on the way out. Booz as a whole allows employees time for self-development, but everyone on the IMAG team must be 100% billable, even making up time from marketing trips.

Advice to Management

Check the references and resumes of all current employees, starting at the top. Send folks to training. You've fired or lost so many folks, I can hardly keep track. One artist wasn't good enough to work for IMAG, but is good enough to work for Electronic Arts; that alone should tell you your evaluations are suspect.

"Great company and consulting roles"

Former Employee - Lead Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Booz Allen was my first post-military retirement career - and facilitated a great transition to a civilian role. I enjoyed my 7+ years with Booz, Allen, and had the opportunity to work with several different clients in both an individual contributor role and as a team leader and mentor, ensuring our diverse teams were meeting varying client requirements. In my opinion, Booz Allen truly ascribes to their core values, measures performance relative to those values, and rewards those who excel.

Cons

Work-life balance: the company speaks to having a culture which enables a strong work-life balance, and it is true (most of the time) up to the Lead Associate level. However, it seems that this goes by the way-side at the higher levels -- especially in a volatile and fiscally constrained government contracting environment.

Advice to Management

Find ways to improve the work-life balance for your leaders at the senior associate level and above. If you want to retain personnel and have them strive for promotion to those levels, there needs to be a more concerted effort to make it appealing. Seeing your senior managers work 60-80 hours per week on a pretty routine basis is not a way to retain people.

7. "Great Company So Far"

Current Contractor - Cyber Intelligence Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Contractor - Cyber Intelligence Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton as a contractor

Pros

Friendly employees, caring of new personnel to ensure adjusting to job and company.

Cons

Dont believe my pay is equal to others in similar positions in same city.

Advice to Management

Need to do more to ensure new members understand company, policies, and bennefits better. Just providing access to a website isnt enough.

8. "Great place to learn management consulting"

Former Employee - Lead Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 3 years)

Pros

Core Values. Staff development. Must drive your own career and use resources available.

Cons

May get pigeon-holed on client site.

Advice to Management

Focus shifted from people to sales. Not sure if it's swung back, but it should.

"I provide support to the Air Force as an analyst on a BPR team facilitating events to drive efficiency."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture, specifically at my office is tremendous. I love the people I work with and everyone is a class act. Teamwork is not only encouraged, it's mandatory, but self sufficiency is needed to thrive.

Cons

The events are for a week, typically 4-5 days and the days are long. We consistently work 14 hour days during an event and it's not very family friendly. You can expect to work close to 220 hours a month, and the pay is not on par with other firms in comparable positions.

10. "associate"

Current Employee - Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are great. Work environment is good. Excellent mentoring.

Cons

Marketing. Benefits are great. Work environment is good. Excellent mentoring.

Showing 48 of 4,055 reviews