Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Booz Allen Hamilton President and CEO Horacio D. Rozanski
Horacio D. Rozanski

1,675 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Work life balance is good compared to other consulting firms because most projects are locally based (in 474 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, work from home when contracts allow, don't work you to death (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 172 reviews)

• If you are not bringing in "billable hours" you will receive an LOW Lack of Work and have 30 days to find a new contract or be let go (in 78 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company, Smart People"

Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Great culture, and there is always work as an associate Subcontracts admin. Most Client Staff are great to work with. the Subcontracts team is very interactive and work closely with each other. If you dont know it, just ask, no one will undermine your work.

Cons

The internal and Government processes are intense and takes a lot of know how.
    Some client staff are difficult, but manageable because of great Subcontracts Leadership

Advice to Management

Great Subncontracts Management team, although work is hard, the management is great.

"Great people, terrible business"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Everyone -- even the difficult types -- are eager to work and excel. There are some senior officers with questionable morality, but most people here are great people to work with.

Cons

1. Federal clients. Don't forget that you'll move at their pace, not yours.
    2. The nature of the job means that sooner or later you'll be strategizing ways to get more money from the client (i.e. federal government), regardless of whether or not you'll actually add value. BAH runs on government money, a large chunk from DoD, and thus is part of the bigger problem we have in this country with fiscal responsibility.
    3. Living off the American taxpayer. Much of the money that flies around in DC is at the expense of everyone else everywhere else in the US, BAH is a major player in this system, particularly the defense technology sector.
    4. You'll never get paid what you're worth. The three lowest ranks (Consultant, Sr. Consultant, Associate) seldom make what they're worth, while senior management (looking at you, officers) make insane amounts of money.

Advice to Management

I'm leaving this job for two reasons, despite being hand-picked and groomed for greater responsibility by senior management.

1. You weren't paying me enough to do the job; especially when you factor in the amount of stress this job puts on a human being, the amount of time I sacrificed with my family, the amount of guilt this job inspired in me as an American.
    2. The job is not meaningful to anyone who doesn't lust for profits. At some point each of us gets a look at how the sausage is made, and then it becomes clear that the government is basically asking (literally sending out solicitations and announcements) to be ripped off. They don't need what we're selling, but they buy it anyways because Congress tells them to. This buys Congress fancy retirement plans at the same businesses that profit. But everyone else loses, and Booz Allen isn't doing enough to be a part of our nation's long-term fiscal stability.

3. "Brilliant Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many levels of management within organization.

Cons

Short term projects make it a challenge to stay billable

Advice to Management

Be accountable to your team

5. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced environment, Intelligent staff, and caring management.

Cons

Less than adequate career managers. Need to be able to fend for yourself when it comes to your own career.

Advice to Management

Allow consultants to choose their career managers if they are not compatible.

6. "Senior Energy Consultant - Review"

Current Employee - Senior Energy Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Energy Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Booz Allen offers a great opportunity for anyone to learn and gain experience quickly through a large range of projects.

Cons

Energy sector is small and can sometimes make it hard to find projects that meet your overall career goals.

7. "Incredible range of careers available"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Career flexibility, work life balance

Cons

Benefits are not quite as lucrative as years' past

8. "Lead Associate"

Former Employee - Team Lead in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in McLean, VA

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Core Values that are lived by most

Cons

Not many private industry of clients

9. "communications specialist, senior"

Current Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible work schedule, broadening opportunities, job security

Cons

lower than average salary and bonus

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get exposed to many interesting dilemmas and you have great resources to lean on.

Cons

The place is like a factory at times and you have to be aggressive to shine;

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more mindful and communicate better wit employees

"Great People and Relaxed Environment. Limited Growth."

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The majority of people I worked with were great, genuine people.

Booz Allen has to be the industry leader for work/life balance. Because of this, it’s not uncommon for people to have other major sources of income on the side. It really is amazing the amount of free time you have when working for a government contractor.

For the most part, managers are always available to talk to about any issue and they really try to put you on projects that you want. You can easily get by on 10am-4pm days. I personally know a lot people who only showed up to work when they had meetings. Also, to get a job at Booz Allen, you don't even have to do a case study.

Booz Allen is an excellent brand name. It’s really overwhelming how highly external recruiters and firms think of Booz Allen. Obviously, this is a huge positive, since if you don’t move up as quickly as you would like at Booz Allen, you can just leave, for probably a much better offer monetarily. This is really important at any large corp, since oftentimes it is very crowded come promotion time.

Cons

Some in upper management and HR at Booz Allen have a bad habit of lying. This is more so than I’ve seen at really any other company I’ve worked at, so it’s worth mentioning. They will absolutely lie to you when trying to recruit you. They’ll tell you about bonuses and fast promotion. It’s important to know that it is company policy that no one below senior associate gets any bonuses, regardless of what they tell you. They have this vague concept called the ‘People Model’, but in reality it’s just a bunch of false promises; no two managers give the same definition of it.

Booz Allen is currently in this weird stage of deciding if they should be more than a government contractor. They spend a lot amount of money (which they get from huge gov't contracts) in anything that has the word ‘innovation’ and in creating products that don’t have a legit chance of selling. That money could be better spent elsewhere; for instance, the firm wonders why their commercial arm isn’t getting any legs, but it’s really because they don’t bring in any legit rainmakers. You can’t ask government workers with no industry connections to bring in commercial business - that’s not a good strategy.

Other than that: health benefits are relatively subpar. no bonus unless you're senior associate above, regardless of what they tell you.

Overall: If you’re looking for an extremely relaxed environment at a big consulting shop, I really couldn’t recommend any better place to work. If you’re fairly technical and want to challenge yourself professionally, I’d recommend looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be a product firm. Hire more MBAs to focus on quantifying return on investment on some internal investments. Impossible to retain legit talent without bonuses.

Showing 1,675 of 3,688 reviews