Boral Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Boral CEO & Managing Director Mike Kane
Mike Kane

1. "Employee"

Pros

it great to work for.

Cons

there nothing wrong with working for Boral

Advice to Management

nothing

2. "Production Manager"

I worked at Boral full-time

Pros

Work with great people. Boral is a large company with many diverse business units providing variety in role and geography for those who seek it.

Cons

Generic disadvantages of a large company. Can take a lot of time to get things done.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in young people. They are the future of the organisation.

3. "dispatcher"

Current Employee - Rail Dispatcher in Marulan (Australia)
    Current Employee - Rail Dispatcher in Marulan (Australia)

I have been working at Boral full-time

Pros

the hour gives me a good life style to spend with family and every thing at work is done safely and your not pushed pressured to do anything the people I work with are friendly easy to work with boral has been good to me for almost 30 years

Cons

i don't have much to complain about boral other than changes they make no one likes changers but it would be nice to know why and what the changers are for rather than get to work and find out this is what happenning

Advice to Management

keep your workers more in the loop

5. "Barry Girling"

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Onslow (Australia)
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Onslow (Australia)

I have been working at Boral full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

they have a high focus on family values and safety.

Cons

they forget to share information

Advice to Management

invole the staff more

6. "company"

Current Employee - Concrete Delivery in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Concrete Delivery in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Pros

Hours we work are sometimes great

Cons

Customers are not always pleseant

Advice to Management

coffee machine in lunch room

7. "Workshop Officer/Inventory Control"

Former Employee - Anything to Do With Purchasing & Inventory+Management Or Supervision in Emu Plains (Australia)

Pros

Was allowed to improve the system and introduce process control and procedures. Nice people to work with.

Cons

The job finished at the quarry. would have being nice to end at the Greystanes office to be involve with projects or help Boral in Purchasing and inventory management and fuel system installation on other sites

Advice to Management

Looking forward to any future opportunities.

8. "Review"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Middle Swan (Australia)
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Middle Swan (Australia)

I have been working at Boral full-time

Pros

excellent incentives for Employees, pay and work wise.

Cons

Lack of communication between management and factory workers.

Advice to Management

Be more open to the employees and stop the bleeding of money

9. "National Technical Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Darra (Australia)
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Darra (Australia)

I worked at Boral full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Boral bricks in Darra Qld for just on 7 years, I moved up from Sydney after leaving CSR where I worked for 12 years. My position with Boral had me responsible for the firing & drying processes for a number of sites across Australia. I left the company for family reasons and still reject the decision to this day. The company allowed me scope to make my own decisions and trusted me to see them thru, they also supported me with what ever training or advise I required and encouraged to go beyond what I thought was my limit to what I thought I could do. The salary was great and working conditions considering the type of work I was in acceptable. Management there were fantastic coming from all areas of manufacturing which rounded off the scope of talent that made the business the great place to work.

Cons

The only con that I have is that I should of taken leave rather than to leave the company, acquiring your dream job doesn't come around every day.

Advice to Management

Consider the age of new recruits as accumulated experience that can contribute to the long term of the business not a hindrance for the long term, sure its important to hire people young and groom them for best fit into the business but maturity and experience goes a long way to cementing the foundation of the business.

10. "Fine tune your managerial and people skills from day 1 in the Graduate Development Program"

Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - Maintenance Planner in Brisbane (Australia)

Pros

The core of Boral lies in its generalist business, as it is one big conglomerate of business divisions.
    Boral suits those engineers who want to develop their managerial skills from day one.
    It does not suit the engineer who wants a structured career path in engineering per se (design, analysis etc.)
    There are many different business units, from asphalt to concrete and quarries, plasterboard, bricks and timber etc You will not run out of things to do and jobs to learn.
    Boral takes pride in its General Managers and to climb up the corporate ladder, they expect you to develop a generalist approach in running a business.
    You would get exposure to project management, maintenance, contracting, production and manufaturing working on different sites to corporate planning and strategy development work at HQ.
    You can very quickly learn about looking at a balance sheet and managing a P & L
    Its also a people's business, and you would manage people and teams much earlier at Boral than you would at other "more structured" firms
    Its a very flat structure, and access to your GM is as easy as almost anyone else.
    Its an open door policy and you would not run out of mentors and people to give you direction.
    Training and development is also well structured, as well as defined career paths.

Cons

Just like any other operations business, you are not surroudned by the world's intellectual talents. Working on site and in workshops means exposure to an english language of very limited vocabulary :) and some narrow minded people. It is not an office enviornment in the city where your surrounded by flashy degrees and nice people, eating toasted muffins and drinking caramel flatwhites. Operations are tough, and you will get tested. And you almost really only get one shot at it. First impression means everything. We dont do long hours but we def start early. Working culture is something that would be very hard to change but you might actually see the challenge in that. You will get thrown in the deep end when you start, and you will be monitored. In an operations business you can get left in an area esp when your doing a good job, so you will constantly have to put your hand up and make yourself known to the seniors.

Advice to Management

Maybe consider secondments to management consulting firms, instead of losing some good employees to them who want to cross the bridge and do some of that work, why not offer consultants an operations experience, and get our operations people to consult, and therefore, make them more rounded managers. I would love to have that opportunity presented to me.