Border States Reviews | Glassdoor

Border States Reviews

Updated Oct 22, 2019

3.6
Border States CEO Tammy Miller (no image)
Tammy Miller
Pros
  • "Work Hours, Employee Owned, Fast Paced, Advancement Opportunities(in 12 reviews)

• "I have enjoyed my first year with a great company(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons that I can think of other than to work on communication(in 4 reviews)

• "There isn't any flexibility in terms of working from home on occasion or flexible scheduling(in 4 reviews)

"Great"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at Border States full-time

Pros

Good pay and reasonable hours

Cons

Long drive and hot days

Border States2019-06-07
  2. "Unpredictable Schedule"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Border States full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunities for overtime, company benefits.

Cons

Excessively denigrating to many warehouse employees, hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Respect all workers in your company properly.

Border States2019-10-22

"very political management"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Border States full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

ESOP, Dental and Health insurance

Cons

Management is lacking. "Customer service" is the top priority, but when you are servicing customers it is frowned upon. they want you at your desk with minimal bathroom breaks(2 minutes an hour is too much). Different expectations for different employees.

Advice to Management

Hold all employees to the same standard.

Border States2019-10-01

"You'll be OK if you're just a cog - more money than brains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at Border States full-time

Pros

Financial insights are shared, at least they have a bonus structure. Annual cost of living pay raises are typical. Scheduling flexibility (if you're just a cog).

Cons

I could write a novel... There's two tiers of leadership that aren't contributing much value - just glorified layers of project management. Management style is top down; so don't expect to exercise your brain. Clusters of management operate like a clique. From a technology standpoint this company is in the process of getting stomped. Insurance deductibles and premiums are going up rapidly. Changes to... benefits are poorly communicated at the last second before open enrollment. (Quite a few of us had to change dentists, for example). There are many employees waiting for turnover of the 'old guard' to see if new leadership has the guts to clean house and start calling out top-heavy structure and blame-shifting strategies of the BSE IT leadership. Heavy amount of contracting work = no accountability. Blindly following SAP's guidance on whatever dumpster fire they're selling = IT strategy. Talking about ideas = innovation. There will be a day where BSE can't squeeze employees, contractors and processes for more efficiency. The hyper focus on efficiency and ignoring risk for innovation will make you prey to smaller fish.

Advice to Management

Management seems to think everything is alright and those who say otherwise are just poor cultural fits. Survey your employees on the departmental or division level with questions requiring written answers to get a clue.

Border States2019-08-18

"The company is a good fit if you are willing to set aside ability for flattery."

Former Employee - Unfortunate in New York, NY

I worked at Border States full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits are decent compared to others.

Cons

Company promotes ESOP at the expense of employees, encourages yes men in place of ability, promotes sycophants in place of business acumen, hires talented, knowledgeable people and beats them down to mediocrity.

Advice to Management

Not sure any advice to upper management would change a company that encourages narcissistic behavior in its executives and discourages talent and ability. If the only ideas you are willing to listen to are from the same individuals and you resort to hiding the truth from all the employees to mask the error of your business decisions. I truly believe that the company will continue to miss its budget numbers and... employees will never see the benefit of being part of an ESOP. Executive management needs to decide if it's better to be yes men or keep the company lucrative.

Border States2019-06-26

"The Career for Me"

Current Employee - City Desk in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Border States full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work Hours, Employee Owned, Fast Paced, Advancement Opportunities

Cons

Entry Pay, Corporate Structure, Training Materials

Advice to Management

Develop a better training program for new hires in branch locations that includes basic warehouse procedures, intro to electrical materials, and what products move most in your area (this affects the entire branch from what your order writers are looking for and inputting, to what the warehouse is pulling, and what recieving should be looking for and making a priority when it arrives)

Border States2019-05-17
  7. "Handling of employees regardless of length of service is poor."

Former Employee - Branch Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Border States full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great retirement plan as an ESOP!

Cons

Management does not treat everyone with respect

Advice to Management

Learn to treat even the lowly employees with respect.

Border States2019-05-14

"All about the people"

I have been working at Border States full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee Ownership is a fantastic benefit. Great people across 22 states. Opportunities to grow for people who want to grow. Every employee gets insight to how the company is doing through monthly videos and reports.

Cons

We’ve grown fast as a company, trying to catch up on technology and processes. Lots of overtime, may create burn out.

Advice to Management

Even though we run Lein to make budget and increase profit, need to continue to focus on employee owners.

Border States2019-04-12
  9. "Border States Invests in You"

Current Employee - Distribution Leadership Trainee in Brooklyn Park, MN

I have been working at Border States full-time for less than a year

Pros

Border States has shown time and time again that they are willing to but in the time and resources to fully develop their employees into leaders. Being employee owned means that everyone has a stake in the company itself, so in taking the effort to develop their employees means that everyone in the company is a valuable resource to you. Everyone (and I mean everyone) is willing to lend their time and knowledge to... help you develop further. The care that they had shown me as a Distribution Leadership employee is genuine and unrivaled compared to other companies I have worked with before. Other Pros: -Get to travel a lot throughout the region -Travel expenses all paid for by BSE -get in-depth knowledge of how each department operates -Very friendly environment to work in -Many career opportunity to move up within the company ranks

Cons

Cons: -hours can get very long especially in the summer -Non-paid lunch (have to clock out when eating lunch which turns any 8 hour day into a 8 1/2 day)

Advice to Management

The pros way outweigh the cons in this business environment. Keep moving forward in the way you're investing in the future of Border States. My only piece of advice would be to maybe allow the DLPs to visit other branches in other regions just to get a feel for how the company changes across regions.

Border States2019-04-11
  10. "Great company who cares for its employees"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at Border States part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stock options after you put in time

Cons

Internal conflicts between warehouse and sales

Advice to Management

Stay away from temp hires. Seem to cycle through personnel fast.

Border States2019-04-03