Borders Reviews | Glassdoor

Borders President and CEO Michael J. Edwards
Michael J. Edwards

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The company went bankrupt otherwise I would still be there (in 15 reviews)

• From paper chase to the cafe you couldn't go wrong (in 14 reviews)

1. "Borders, a great place for the curious individual."

Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor in South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor in South Portland, ME

Pros

Set schedule no surprise shifts!. The knowledge base of all the employee's is vast and diverse, it's always fun to learn new things. Great discounts for employees.

Cons

the store is to far from my home..but i guess that's not really a downside. All in all it's a good place to work the people are nice and my co-workers always lend hands when i need them. maybe the downside is pay isn't phenomenal.

Advice to Management

Keep on being open and reliable. You have all been where i am before just starting out and trying not to get to much wrong.. just keep the communication flowing and everything will work itself out.

2. "New to Borders, but enjoying it so far!"

Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Getting back to core business. They are very people orientated. Good benefits, excellent compensation for what I do.

Cons

Company is in trouble finacially and that is scary. Technology is seriously outdated. SOP's and synergies are outdated, old or non-existent.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on being simple. Sell, books, movies, music. People are extremely loyal, hard-working and love Borders. Encourage and build on that!

"Wonderful place for art, literature, film, & music nerds"

Former Employee - Seller in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Seller in Orange, CA

Pros

A great place to keep up with all of the newest books, music, and movies. Very laid-back atmosphere, great coffee, good music (when employees are allowed to choose), and overall a very eccentric and interesting bunch of coworkers and customers to help and work with.

Cons

It has been over a year since I worked at Borders, however in the last few months of my employment it was being transitioned into a very different kind of store. When I first started, I enjoyed Borders for its lesser-known titles recommended by employees, great obscure bands playing in the store, and that it was a place that catered to people who wanted to find these hidden treasures. Now it's all big titles, a table full of best sellers, pop music on the speakers.

Advice to Management

Some of the smaller employee benefits, like free coffee and other discounts, were slowly being reduced or taken away altogether. These little things were great morale boosters, so that was too bad.

4. "My experience at Borders was very enjoyable, with a great staff and supportive management."

Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Bookseller/Barista in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

If you are a bibliophile, music lover, and enjoy coffee, Borders is a pretty ideal place to work. I enjoyed being exposed to all the new material, as well as being able to share my recommendations based on the customer's feedback.

Cons

Borders has become too corporate over the years. This company pushes employees to push titles on customers to create instant bestsellers. I understand they are a company trying to make a profit, but it is really annoying. Also, the stores I have worked at in recent years are often understaffed, which can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to chill out and relate better to their employees' needs.

5. "I miss it...."

Former Employee - Cafe Seller in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cafe Seller in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great team
    Great customers
    Pay was ok

Cons

Lack of hours
    Lack of growth
    Snobby customers
    Store closing

Advice to Management

Maybe yall should pay attention to more of the employee concerns if you are worried about numbers in the store. Most of our customers were returning customers so that whole Border Rewards percentage calculation was bs!

6. "A good one"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Griffith, IN
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Griffith, IN

Pros

The flexible schedule, the people, love of books and being appreciated.

Cons

No pay raises. Pushing us to books for donations to locale charities. This went on for way too long.

Advice to Management

You needed to come down and do undercover boss and see exactly how things really were in the book selling trenches. But I guess your lack of concern in this area (our area), shows since you let the company go under.

7. "Great"

Former Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great overall. It is too bad the company is going under. I really enjoyed everything about it. It was super.

Cons

Everything was good. The company made some poor financial moves an that ended up costing us the company. Great employees.

8. "Very good while in college"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Fremont, CA

Pros

Borders was a really good, stress free job for me during college. I never brought any work home, and mostly it was like hanging out and sometimes you also got so solve mysteries for people. At the time while I was in school and didn't have to support myself it was a fair salary, although now years later it would've seemed impossible to live off. At least as a part-time position. I was never seeking out a career with them so it worked well. Was an original employee of a new store, and getting it ready for opening was fun, and we were well trained for it.

Cons

Regular "customers" treated the place like a library and wouldn't put books back in their place. Some days and weeks the store got messed up much faster than you could put it all back.

Advice to Management

I liked it when we had a community staff member in charge of events and things locally. Ours got replaced with someone less skilled and less friendly based in another store, then I don't even know what happened to that position. We also were given these beyond realistic targets that our store never came close to reaching in its existence. They always seemed to be a joke, and short of increased local advertising there wasn't anything really our store could've done to increase sales. I also think our general store managers boss only came to the store maybe twice in two years mostly early on. Never saw any other didt from outside of our store come to the store.

9. "I enjoyed working for Borders"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Pros

I loved my job at Borders. As an avid reader, I enjoyed the employee discounts on the store merchandise. My co-workers and managers were friendly. Working in one of the mall stores allowed me flexibility with my schedule and the store wasn't open later than the mall.

Cons

Unfortunately in the store that I worked in there were too many employees and not enough hours to go around, so I had to look for a second job. As for cons, carrying heavy boxes full of books could be a pain and winter holiday shopping season was a madhouse. It was still fun to work there though.

Advice to Management

One of the main things that I disliked about working at Borders was the waste and inability to do anything about it. It broke my heart to have to tear off covers from books and magazines and then throw them away. I wanted to get Borders to donate the books and magazines to homeless shelters and to children in need. I was told that there was nothing I could do to change the mind of the company and that I was not allowed to take the boxes of books out of the recycling containers. I think that Borders' image would be even better if they found it in their hearts to stop throwing all of those books away and donated them to a good cause.

10. "Great"

Former Employee - Cafe Supervisor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Cafe Supervisor in Columbus, OH

Pros

It was a wonderful lace to work.

Cons

Business closed and therefore no longer applicable.

Advice to Management

None.