BorgWarner Reviews | Glassdoor

BorgWarner President and CEO James R. Verrier
James R. Verrier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "HR"

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

competitive culture, lots of opportunities,

Cons

lots of competition, lots of competition, lots of competition,

2. "Good for manufacturing engineers and management wannabees, not a good fit for innovators"

Former Employee - Engineer in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Ithaca, NY

I worked at BorgWarner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

BW is a conservative and hierarchical but well-managed company, quite obsessed about process. The auto industry is fast-paced and interesting. So you can learn a lot by observing how things are done. Yearly bonuses are usually generous. There is near-zero tolerance for harrassment or unprofessional behavior. Employee safety is high on the company priority list. People are good to work with in general. Family-work-life balance is mostly supported. It's a good place to start your career.

Cons

If you are not so interested in joining the management ranks or focusing on manufacturing, then it's not somewhere that you want to spend too much time at. So-called "individual contributors" are left out of most important decisionmaking processes. My experience says that they also tend to get typecast into roles and see fewer promotions and smaller raises. High performing employees are not rewarded all that much more than average ones. BW markets itself to be "innovative" but I would not use that word to describe my former division. Anything new or different raised a lot of red flags and ended up getting cancelled more often than not. What they term "R&D" is really mostly working on customer-driven projects or trying to imitate competitor's designs. If you have an advanced technical degree and/or enjoy thinking outside the box, you would be better off in another company or industry; BW doesn't value intelligence all that much and probably won't match the long-term earnings that you could get in a different line of work.

Advice to Management

Despite the cons above, I have to say that BW does what it does because it works for them. No one wants an "innovative" automobile that doesn't work reliably. Reliable products and profits result from a highly conservative, non-innovative, and fearful-of-mistakes business process with decisionmaking authority concentrated in the hands of relatively few people. So my advice would be less to management and more to prospective employees: recognize the culture early on, learn what you can from it, and decide if you want to try to succed with it. If the answer is NO, don't linger there too long like I did.

3. "Assembler"

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time

Pros

Decent management all the hours you could want

Cons

If you crave home time this is not the place

4. "Decent Company"

Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Dixon, IL
    Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Dixon, IL

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy Overtime, relaxed setting, work is not hard to do

Cons

team leaders don't put in effort

5. "Great Co-op experience. Would Recommend."

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time

Pros

Lots of freedom, lots of support.

Cons

Doesn't pay as well as some other co-ops.

6. "Great company as a whole, just like other large corporations, not perfect."

Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Ithaca, NY

Pros

Excellent pay for work being performed, lots of OT available so final pay is up to how much you want to work, good benefits programs, tool reimbursement, focus on safety of all employees, nice bonuses based on set goals achieved as a group

Cons

Direct management sometimes lacks skills to properly direct the employees, union seems to get in the way of properly disciplining substandard workers which hinders management from doing their job, much money spent on training that doesn't always pertain to the job and nobody seems to want to address this issue, training "stuck in a rut" with the mentality that "this is always the way we have done it" attitude, union negotiates wages for some which doesn't bring out the best in employees or motivate to reach for more or try to exceed expectations

Advice to Management

Step back and take an extremely serious look at the current training given to your hourly employees. The money being spent seems to be a large waste of resources with some material antiquated and others too far advanced for what is at the location. Also look to change the training given to direct supervisors of hourly employees. The rewards for good work program is seriously unbalanced between departments and shifts which leads to resentment. Actually listen to the feedback of your surveys and SHOW people that you are at least attempting to make progress toward fixing issues.

7. "Not recommended for non mechanical engineers"

Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Ithaca, NY

I worked at BorgWarner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and the test engineers are willing to work with you.

Cons

Projects are constantly cancelled. Borg still leans heavily on their chain products and doesn't have any clue what to do with their non mechanical/test engineers, I.E controls and electrical. There would be stretches of months where I would be bored and had to find busy work to do. Although it did give me time to build on my skills and find a real job that will test my abilities.

Advice to Management

Learn how to keep and retain young talent. During my time there anyone under 30 would leave for better positions or not take job offers after their co-ops. It may be a bit extreme but I would say start some interesting new projects, promote some of the younger guys to manage them then get rid of some of the middle manager bloat.

8. "Too much drama"

Former Employee - First Time Quality Technician in Seneca, SC
    Former Employee - First Time Quality Technician in Seneca, SC

I worked at BorgWarner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing pay, plenty of overtime, and amazing benefits

Cons

Hardly any days off, there's always some kind of drama, and management did not care about work conditions.

Advice to Management

Handle the situations presented to you instead of ignoring them or covering them up.

9. "Borgwarner"

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Fletcher, NC
    Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Fletcher, NC

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Insurance. And here are words to fill up this space that should he near blank

Cons

Management is horrible. The work environment is horrible. Become one of the suck ups or you will not advance. Judgemental. This place was an excellent place to work several years ago. Now its like they purposefully try to run employees off and do spiteful things to ruin the company. Quality doesn't matter its all about quantity of the parts being produced. I myself refuse to buy borgwarner products.

Advice to Management

Quit. This company needs new management who actually care about making it succeed instead of management that tries to drive it into the ground.

10. "Not invented here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any - None

Cons

Big headed leadership, very short sighted and making crazy decisions based on gut feeling, rather than data driven !

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and ears... You do not know everything !