BorgWarner Reviews | Glassdoor

BorgWarner Reviews

Updated October 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay, nice new lunch room I guess there was not a lot of cons (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits, Good place to gain experience (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance - there is NO balance (in 9 reviews)

• Some departments are understaffed, and long hours and high stress result (in 8 reviews)

"BorgWarner Powertrain Technical Center, Auburn Hills, MI"

Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at BorgWarner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The annual bonus plan, called "EIP (Employee Incentive Program", is the most generous that I've encountered during my career as an individual performer as a product engineer at various automotive suppliers, and unlike the companies I've previously worked for who did provide a potential annual bonus for individual performers, they actually paid the maximum possible amount each of the four years I was employed there.

Cons

The culture in the department I worked for was very political, meaning that the Engineering Managers were given free reign to include their personal biases when evaluating and interacting with less senior employees in the department, including engaging in personal attacks and bullying in the presence of such an employee's peers, even when that employee did not even report to them.

Advice to Management

Create a culture in which every employee's contributions are recognized and valued in order to drive out the use of personal biases, bullying behavior, and the like on the part of managers and other employees with influence on less-senior staff members.

2. "Opportunities for those who actively engage in their career management"

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time

Pros

Provides opportunities for growth and development for those individuals who demonstrate interest, initiative and desire to to grow within the organization.

Cons

Like any organization, this company also has its day to day challenges.

"Poor and panicked Leadership has lost its keys to success"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pro
    The presidents of the Turbocharger, Control Systems and Transmission Systems groups are knowledgeable and effective leaders. Pay is decent and bonuses (which because they are linked to executive pay schedules) have been excellent. Lack of fiscal discipline sometimes is a good thing. Lower performing individuals go unnoticed.

Cons

Cons
    Much of the leadership is superficial, naive, and arrogant. Infighting among the leadership often results in stagnation.

For a company its size the lack of of HR influence is appalling. There are little or no effective training programs, no on-boarding, a complete lack of consistency of procedures across operating units and nothing stopping managers from demoting, promoting or firing dedicated on employees on a whim.

BorgWarner was once a great company which was revered for its product leadership, fast growth and fiscal responsibility. Those days are gone. Today the company is slow moving, strangles its product development by being chronically understaffed and has a confused and naive approach to its future. Its fiscal discipline has been replaced by spastic calls to action.

Instead of correctly staffing its product and manufacturing engineering staff to maintain its product leadership status, management staffs at the minimum. Products are no longer product leaders but barely meet commodity status. There is no work/life balance. Product innovation is actively discouraged.

Having lost its focus on product leadership, BorgWarner next redefined itself as a fast follower and now is focused on buying technology. All this can be traced to a vacuum of management at the top who are arrogant and isolated from reality. Panicking at being behind the industry in vehicle electrification, BorgWarner, seeks to find the “Next Turbo” by making ill timed acquisitions, overpaying and then failing to support and integrate the newly acquired companies.

To those who are considering a career in the automotive industry stay clear of BorgWarner. There are much better choices that have a much better future, enlightened management and treat their employees as an important part of their success.

Advice to Management

The leadership issues at the top needs to be resolved. In particular the CSO 's inconsistency and arrogance is a major issue. A new CEO, who is less superficial and less naive needs to be installed.

4. "Assembler"

I worked at BorgWarner full-time

Pros

Fulltime Pay very well plus profit sharing.

Cons

Your are treated as a number.

5. "Work atmosphere at BorgWarner"

I worked at BorgWarner full-time

Pros

Work environment is good
    Good co-workers

Cons

Leadership does not show humility at higher levels in organization

Advice to Management

Be more self aware of the situation

6. "Software Validation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, very flexible schedule (work from home, leave when necessary, etc. as long as your work is done), training is encouraged

Cons

Process improvements sometimes are resisted due to entrenched "this is the way we've always done it" attitudes.

Advice to Management

provide more support to process improvements and don't just let the worker bees force the change up from the bottom. You need to broadcast the changes from on high as well.

7. "Operator"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Bellwood, IL
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Bellwood, IL

I worked at BorgWarner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had overtime, decent pay as well as far as industry standards.

Cons

Company doesn't care at all about making employees happy, only customers.

Advice to Management

Create some type of room for your employees to have some type of enjoyment while at work. Idk, maybe longer breaks, or just giving them the freedom enough to do some things they actually enjoy while production is running smoothly.

"The Mothership"

I worked at BorgWarner full-time

Pros

Large company that's still growing

Cons

No hierarchy or plan to take advantage of obvious synergies between plants. Think Dial up versus DSL versus Cable versus fiber internet speeds.

Advice to Management

When you flip the pyramid give the plant actual power and autonomy to do their jobs without interference from the mother-ship.

9. "Sr. FICO & Treasury Architect/Consultant"

I have been working at BorgWarner full-time

Pros

Best client services in SAP Finance and Treasury areas.

Cons

Not a big company, Need to expand to other areas.

"ASSEMBLY LINE WORKER"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seneca, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seneca, SC

I worked at BorgWarner full-time

Pros

Good pay, nice new lunch room I guess there was not a lot of cons

Cons

The Women there bullied me, treated me unfair they mad me cry and get mad so they" suspended" me also they bullied my friend and suspended her too for no reason. I know I'm not getting my job back