Borgess Health Reviews in Kalamazoo, MI | Glassdoor

Paul A. Spaude

1. "mechanic"

Current Employee - Maintenance in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Borgess Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

they do care about their employees

Cons

None for me whole I was there

"PSA-Patient Services Add"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Borgess Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They gave us a free turkey for Christmas.

Cons

Where do I begin? Raises are not based on merit, so when you get a raise, so does that not so great worker next to you. If you are not clinical, you will not matter. If you work the front desk, be ready for the MAs to treat you poorly. Management will not listen to your complaints. They used to be about serving the community, that's what the Sisters founded it on. But you will no find it here. Ever since it became Ascension it went downhill fast.

Advice to Management

Remember that your front office staff are a vital role in helping things go smoothly. Make raises merit based.

"Patient Care Associate"

Current Employee - Patient Care Associate in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Patient Care Associate in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Borgess Health full-time

Pros

The shifts are 12 hours, so you only work 3 days a week.
    Most of my coworkers are great to work with.
    My manager is very accomadating as far as the schedule.

Cons

I have been an employee for 5+ years, but still every "raise" I have received has only bumped my pay to the bottom of the pay scale, therefore brand new employees with no experience at all make the exact same as me, despite being told that I am a great employee, and having good reviews every year.
    Benefits are quickly disappearing. PTO accrual rate lowered. Excused call in days lowered from 3 to 2. Insurance costs more for worse coverage, although we supposedly switched to a company also owned by Ascension because it would cost less. I guess they meant it would cost less for them, not their employees!
    Often forced to work in an environment unsafe to the employees and the patients. Most of the time we are short staffed and must take more patients than what our maximum patient load is.
    The management is mostly ineffective. And that's on a good day when you actually see them or they finally return one of your many unanswered phone calls and emails.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they matter, and they will do so much for you. Patient satisfaction will never get better when everyone that works for Borgess is miserable.

"Times have changed"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Borgess Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Several chances for advancement
    Shared Governance
    MNA Union

Cons

Hospital owned by large organization with little concern of its staff and staffing concerns
    Many open RN positions resulting in short staffing

"Used to be a good place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Borgess Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are some good people that work there.

Cons

Borgess used to be a good place to work until Ascension Health took over. In the last five years paid time off has been reduced, the insurance has gone up and the coverage has gone down, they are pushing long term employees out by telling them if they don't retire they will lose their medigap coverage, positions are being cut throughout the hospital but the expectations are higher. Management that has been there for years have been let go and replaced with lower paid unqualified recent college graduates. I would never recommend Borgess to anyone as a place to work.

7. "houskeeping"

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Housekeeping in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

I am a people person and love helping others, I was able to do that at the hospital trying to make the patient feel comfortable in their rooms.

Cons

it was hard when there was nothing you could do to help them feel better!

"Very Unmoral"

Current Employee - Pca in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Pca in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Borgess Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is ok but not worth the effects that this place has on my life.

Cons

Large amount of sexual harassment from co-workers and when i say large i mean many times a day. Many nurses share "Pictures" with each other and when you refuse to participate you are harassed. Sexual comments made on a regular basis. A very bad place to work if you have any sort of moral code. HIPAA also is not followed at this hospital. Many nurses make fun of their patients on ALL floors. Culture is very poor!

Advice to Management

Get new staff! I would say 70%-80% of all the nurses either break HIPAA and/or engage in some sort of unprofessional sexual behaviors WHILE on the floor! I am actually leaving because it is so bad! HR and upper management believes that everything is fine and you MUST learn that this is not a good way to operate at all.

9. "Certified coder"

Current Employee - Certified Coder in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Certified Coder in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Borgess Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, generous paid time off

Cons

Lack of communication, bad management

"Good job"

Former Employee - Operating Room in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Operating Room in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Borgess Health part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My coworkers were dedicated to giving excellent care. They put passion, study, and energy into their work every single day. I learned a great deal from them, from their experience, educational, and example.

Cons

With excellence comes strong personalities, and sometimes with strong personalities, there is conflict and stress that is unnecessary. Sometimes there is more than one excellent way to do a job, and sometimes this was looked down upon.

"I was a food service worker and a variety of cooks."

Former Employee - Food Service Worker/Production in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker/Production in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Borgess Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I made some life long friendships there. I learned a lot through hands on experience.

Cons

It's a terribly negative environment. Because it is a union environment, most things are extremely fair, while others make no sense at all. There is no team comrade. You are only encouraged to stick within your own job description, going outside that realm is frowned upon. I much hated that aspect.

Advice to Management

Learn to speak to your employees with respect, that's all we ask. Don't micro-manage so much. Find the real problems that are interfering with guest satisfaction and deal with and correct those. Know when to use your own personal judgement on when to bend the rules or not, remember that there are extraordinary circumstances in life at times.