Borrego Solar Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Borrego Solar Engineer Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2019

4.9
Borrego Solar CEO Mike Hall (no image)
Mike Hall

"A large family"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have really enjoyed my 3+ years at Borrego Solar. Borrego is a great combination of big and small in that working here you feel like family and have pride of involvement while also not feeling micro-managed or worry about future stability. Borrego prides itself on trust and transparancy with employees, customers and partners. Borrego is contunually improving through engaging employees on how to make their job... better and the company as a whole more efficient. It is very refreshing to have this level of engagement from upper managment and to feel like you are a part of the process. Overall I really enjoy working at Borrego and would highly recomend them as an employer.

Cons

Borrego is not perfect and as mentioned before the company is continually improving and evolving which for some may seem unstable but for others would be exciting and engaging.

Borrego Solar2019-07-03
  2. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer II in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Borrego has a great team of employees and upper management listens to ideas. We have a full complement of in-house engineers that allow for better designs and a back and forth within the group to hone our products. Many Design Engineers have progressed to become PE's within the company adding to our knowledge base. Everyone is encouraged to bring forth ideas for making the company better.

Cons

As with all Solar Companies, i have been with three, we still have module procurement issues so may need to do a redesign just before going for a permit set.

Borrego Solar2019-07-03
  3. "Phenomenal Place to Grow and Reach Your Goals"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Borrego has a wonderful culture and is truly an enjoyable place to work. Not only are trust and transparency at the forefront of internal workings of Borrego, but the same principles define the company's relationships with clients, partners, and utilities. Though the relaxed San Diego roots shine through to all branches of the business, employees are driven and among the brightest I've ever worked with. Two things... that define life at Borrego are passion for the common mission of accelerating the adoption of renewable energy and care for our fellow coworkers.

Cons

Business at Borrego is fairly cyclical, which tends to result in very busy times of the year. For those used to work without busy seasons, this could come as a surprise, though it is pervasive throughout the solar industry.

4. "Development Engineer"

Former Employee - Development Engineer in Lowell, MA

I worked at Borrego Solar full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Smart and talented team - Flexible work hours (good for working parents) - Safe and stable job

Cons

- Low salary - Too much standardization - the role can become more administrative and less engineering

Advice to Management

Adopt a growth mindset towards employee training and development

Borrego Solar2018-10-10

"Small but mighty commercial solar company"

Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar

Pros

Humble and relaxed culture, great people, and genuinely trying to do the right thing for solar and its' employees.

Cons

vacation could be encouraged more - unlimited vacation culture varies team to team

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging teams to improve and experiment and reward them!

Borrego Solar2016-11-18

"The best job I have ever had"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have never worked for a more trusting and transparent organization. It is so refreshing to know exactly how and what the company is doing. All of the people are top notch and super hard working. The executives are approachable and definitely walk the talk. All of these things build what I feel is the best company culture in the industry. Their industry reputation for quality work is well earned. This company is... for those who want to do good work, work hard, and reap the benefits.

Cons

They are lean and mean. At Borrego you are given both a lot of authority and responsibility . That responsibility at times can lead to a heavy load. While they are flexible, they also very process driven and so there is no short cutting.

Advice to Management

I appreciate that they are generally conservative as it has led to our continued annual profitability. That said I think with more resources we could do even more toward accelerating the adoption of renewable energy.

Borrego Solar2013-10-08