Borrego Solar Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Wow! Just wow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people! I think it has to do with the fact most employees are really talented AND they care deeply about the environment and just doing the right thing in general.
    - An HR department that really cares and is working day and night to make sure we are all doing well and actually having some fun.
    - Professional growth - unlike most companies, Borrego wants you to design and champion your own career and they'll support you. You just have to go for it.
    - Great company with a great reputation - Borrego has been in the game for over 30 years and it respected by its clients, partners, and employees for its dedication to quality and integrity. Also, the company exceeded something like over 200% of it's aggressive goals last year and is projected to have another awesome year in 2017.
    - Compensation - when the company does well, the bonuses are impressive. I was doubting whether the pay was competitive but then they started doing market adjustments to bump up people's pay
    - Culture - it seems they want us to have fun and recognize each other. We could all do a better job of it but they give us tools and encourage us to celebrate as much as possible.
    - Work-life balance - they really just manage your performance and you can take off when you want instead of most companies where you have to carefully plan out how you are going to use your 10-15 days off a year. They also are really flexible with you working remote when you need to. This is important to those of us that have started or want to start a family. It's actually really convenient for people who like to travel because I know employees that go off to France or India and work remotely there for a while.

Cons

Borrego is in that transition phase from a smaller organization with a lot of freedom like a start-up to a mid-sized organization that needs more structure. This can be stressful, especially for the tenured employees used to complete independence. The good news is that everyone in the organization from the CEO down is very transparent and there is a culture of listening and working together to figure out things. People don't just make big decisions about your work without you being involved.

Advice to Management

Continue to be approachable and to listen. You should also throw your full support behind what HR is trying to do with the culture and professional growth. They only just started but they are on to something and it's making a big difference in so many ways.

Jul 12, 2017 – People & Culture

"Wow" is right. Thank you for the incredible review. Our goal is to create the best possible human experience for each and everyone of our employees, so everything you listed is very important to... More

2. "True to mission"

I worked at Borrego Solar full-time

Pros

The company cares about its employees and is truly committed to solving the world's energy problems. Fun place to work

Cons

Chasing incentives in dynamic state markets across the US keeps this company in startup mode

Jun 12, 2017 – People & Culture

We are really happy that you had a great experience with us! Our mission is extremely important to us and so is providing a workplace that is fun and caring.

State-level incentives are an... More

"One big family!"

Current Employee - Accounting in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and culture make this company great! Professional development is a priority at all levels of the company and Borrego offers a very generous tuition/education reimbursement program. Benefits package overall is first class and time off policies are flexible and fair. Executives and senior managers take an interest in the ideas and opinions of staff level employees and work to incorporate their feedback where possible through a commitment to continuous improvement. Management is heavily focused on maintaining a family company culture and deep sense of camaraderie and teamwork both within and across departmental lines. We are living our principles every single day by working together to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy!

Cons

Workload can be heavy at times. Pay is fair compared with market but seems slightly low relative to salary structures across the company when skill, education and knowledge level are comparable. Support/admin roles seem a bit less valued than operations/sales.

Advice to Management

Putting our focus on internal customer service is an excellent idea and will play a huge part in our continued success. Please also consider that adoption of this focus could be greatly enhanced by elevating support staff and maximizing the contributions they can make to the Borrego culture. As Borrego continues to implement lean philosophies, we should also look for ways to broaden the scope of support and administrative positions so that everyone can feel engaged in this exciting and transformative lean journey!

Jun 12, 2017 – People & Culture

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write a really thoughtful review.

We take great pride in the culture we have built and continue to build at Borrego. Renewable energy is our passion and it... More

"Amazing company, amazing people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A thriving company with amazing corporate culture. Very organized internal structure and knowledgeable people with the same goal of not only completing the work but also striving for excellence . The company provides industry leading resources, standards and tools to help us complete work tasks. Executives are constantly trying to improve efficiency by refining the work processes. The recognition and appreciation from both peers and managers helps us build up self-confidence and continuously provide high quality work.
    Well-developed continued education policy also makes it easier for me to achieve my career development goals.

Cons

It would be really good if the company can organize more non work related activities so people get more chance to talk to each other after work.

May 19, 2017 – People & Culture

Thank you so much for the great feedback! We love to hear that people are enjoying their experience with Borrego!

We are actively working on getting more social activities going and have some... More

"Best Company You Will Ever Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Borrego greatly values the culture of their company and you feel like family. I have never worked for a company that cares so much about employees, and even former employees. They have employee appreciation committees at each office to plan social events which is collaborated by the members of the committee and receive a (generous) monthly stipend per office to hold such events. Annual company meetings are held to engage and connect employees from all offices which includes useful technical training sessions and a lot of fun activities. We are passionate about what we do and our mission and the energy is contagious!

Cons

The company is growing very fast which means some processes are being done as more reactive approach than proactive.

6. "Project Developer"

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time

Pros

Very flexible work hours and work from home policies
    Very competitive; strong growth and long-term prospects
    Collaborative work environment

Cons

Limited training after hiring although this has dramatically improved over the past year or so

"Love coming to work everyday"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best places I've worked for! Work is very challenging, yet fun and rewarding. Great culture of really hard-working, sharp people who care about the work we do and people we work with. It feels like family you can trust. Executives are approachable and very transparent about what the company is doing.

Very flexible (this is real!) working benefits driven by self-management, trust and the ability to complete the work you're responsible for. Borrego maintains an atmosphere of collaboration and teamwork that encourages everyone to be creative, innovative and allows us to continue to love what you do. There is never a dull moment.

Much opportunity for growth within the company and big push for continued education.

Cons

Our office doesn't have any fun walking distance eateries.

May 16, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR and Training

Thank you for the awesome feedback! We pride ourselves in creating an environment that is both challenging and fun. We also hire amazing people to help us fulfill our solar energy mission, so it's... More

8. "Borrego Solar mixes good work with good values"

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Borrego Solar is definitely doing what their mission says, "Solving the worlds energy problems".
    - The people are driven to do good work and most have the same passion for renewable energy adoption
    - Borrego stays on the cutting edge of process development, always striving to be better, while not sacrificing quality or the mission

Cons

- Middle management is very inexperienced, leading to little confidence in direction
    - Growing pains of the company cause stress and work overload in some departments
    - Bi-coastal work can lead to inconsistencies in work procedure, and hence, quality

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time

Pros

Lots of flexibility. Care about their workers. Promising outlook.

Cons

Could have some more perks. Really fast pace.

May 16, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR and Training

Thanks for the review! We don't like to put people in the position where they have to choose between work and family (or other commitments like hobbies or volunteering), so we place a big focus on... More

"great place low pay"

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

you have access to a lot of moving parts within the company since everyone is expected to wear a lot of hats....

Cons

feel overworked for the compensation considering what the rest of the industry is offering. Sometimes the work doesn't feel like it's appreciated or valued.

Advice to Management

be willing to a slightly higher base salary and hire more managers so staff feels like they're being mentored and developed professionally.

Mar 1, 2017 – Sr. Director of HR and Training

Thank you for taking the time to review us! I did want to point out that we have been listening to our employees about compensation. We are actually in the middle of a market rate analysis because we... More