Borrego Solar Reviews | Glassdoor

Borrego Solar Reviews

Updated Aug 22, 2019

4.8
Borrego Solar CEO Mike Hall (no image)
Mike Hall
Pros
  • "Great company culture that believes in its employees and trusts them to do their jobs well(in 6 reviews)

• "The people are driven to do good work and most have the same passion for renewable energy adoption(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is also a fast growing company, so there are also some growing pains(in 3 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

1. "I Loved working there"

Current Employee - Site Superintendent in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture and work/life balance

Cons

It's a fast paced environment which can be stressful but I loved it

Borrego Solar2019-08-22
  2. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Senior Office Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than a year

Pros

I genuinely feel lucky that I get to work at Borrego Solar. I've worked for a variety of companies in a variety of industries in the past, but this one stands above the rest for me. I think that's in large part due to the culture here. Everyone here works hard, including those at the top. I've never run into an issue of a super-negative co-worker or someone who is "dead weight" and wasting everyone's time. I have a... lot of trust and respect for the decision makers of the company. Frankly, before working here, I never realized how nice that is. While a bunch of perks can be nice and fun, I find it much more satisfying to work for a company that spends its money responsibly and thoughtfully and is transparent about it. You can tell that the people who work here take pride in what they do and I'm proud to be one of them.

Cons

People work hard here and are striving to make a positive impact on the world. If that's not your thing, this probably isn't the right place for you.

Borrego Solar2019-07-17
  3. "Extremely well-run company, great place to work"

Current Employee - Vice President in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Genuine commitment to transparency, both with employees and with customers, as a critical cultural principle that drives continues improvement. Company culture of not sweating the small stuff. When problems come up, we do a great job of focusing on the problem not the person. Track record of success over the last decade that's unmatched in the industry.

Cons

We're making progress with respect to diversity, and it's an area where awareness is building, but it needs ongoing attention. To the company's credit, it's not something to which we're turning a blind eye.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in our people, especially at the mid-levels of the organization.

Borrego Solar2019-07-15

"SO happy to be here!"

Current Employee - Estimator in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for less than a year

Pros

• TRUST Borrego builds and maintains relationships with clients based on trust and transparency. That same trust and transparency is there towards the people working for the company. • FLEXIBILITY The work-life balance is definitely there. Employees always have control over their work schedule to do what makes more sense for the company and their personal life. • CONTINUING EDUCATION Borrego not only... encourages employees going further with their educational goals, they actually help them do it. A well structured program is in place for showing employees what educational options are available (internally and externally) that better suit their personal interests as well as the company's needs. Upon successful completion, most courses are paid by the employer.

Cons

• Even though Borrego Solar is a general contractor, a full exposure to the entire construction industry might not be there. The focus are renewable energy projects with special attention to solar and energy storage. • Borrego is a general contractor and does not self perform any of their work. If your current career goals are to grow stronger with your direct exposure to construction best practices, perhaps... with special attention to a certain trade/specialty, a subcontractor might be a good place to start as it would give you the grounds needed for a granular understanding of the implications that come along with building a construction project start to end.

Advice to Management

What a great company we all have today! Whatever it is the future holds for all of us, do not ever let politics or dictatorship take away the free spirit and passion we all share for this company and for the work we do as a team, changing the world one solar module at a time!

Borrego Solar2019-07-11

"Excellent Culture"

Current Employee - Site Superintendent in Newburgh, NY

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fair salary/ bonus, good benefits, excellent vacation policy.

Cons

Some may consider working remote from the an office as a negative.

Borrego Solar2019-07-08

"The best people and management"

Current Employee - Marketing in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are the best I've ever worked with. They are incredibly smart and it feels like everyone is really working toward the company's mission

Cons

Working in the solar industry where policies differ from state to state means that there is a lot of market fluctuations

Borrego Solar2019-07-08
  7. "Incredible people, culture, and opportunities."

Current Employee - Vice President Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Our Mission is to solve the world's energy problems by accelerating the adoption of renewable energy, and Borrego truly lives by this mission in everything we do. Incredible people create an incredible culture which allows us to drive this mission. We are experiencing incredible company growth which has allowed for incredible opportunities and career growth for our team members. Everyone at Borrego is... encouraged to contribute to the companies process of continuous improvement.

Cons

Rapid growth and continuous improvement can run ahead of support services and tools.

Borrego Solar2019-07-12
  8. "An excellent company that supports the growth of its people"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Borrego has an energetic and mission-driven company culture with a lot of caring and likeminded individuals. It's totally common to hear laughter throughout the day as folks collaborate to solve problems in their work life, and share stories and experiences from their lives outside of work. Transparent leadership. Solid pay.

Cons

The "Boston" office is actual in Lowell, MA, which offers limited commuting options - particularly for folks who life in the city. Anecdotally, I've heard that pay is below market, but that has not been my personal experience.

Borrego Solar2019-07-09
  9. "Amazing place to work and grow"

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Borrego is unique in that it feels so tight-knit, yet also is a powerhouse in the industry. Company cultural is outstanding. Borrego provides employees with a place to grow, feel connected to the mission, and the opportunity to perform at a high level.

Cons

I wish I had known how great Borrego was sooner.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in employees who are passionate about what they're doing.

"Wonderful Corporate Culture"

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Extremely supportive environment, flexible schedules & locations are possible, good benefits, untracked vacation time, diverse employees, and strong camaraderie

Cons

Pay is slightly less than comparable jobs

Borrego Solar2019-07-03