Borrego Solar "company culture" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Borrego Solar Employee Reviews about "company culture"

Updated Aug 22, 2019

4.8
Borrego Solar CEO Mike Hall (no image)
Mike Hall
Pros
  • "Great company culture that believes in its employees and trusts them to do their jobs well(in 6 reviews)

• "The people are driven to do good work and most have the same passion for renewable energy adoption(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is also a fast growing company, so there are also some growing pains(in 3 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

Reviews about "company culture"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "I Loved working there"

Current Employee - Site Superintendent in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture and work/life balance

Cons

It's a fast paced environment which can be stressful but I loved it

Borrego Solar2019-08-22
  2. "Extremely well-run company, great place to work"

Current Employee - Vice President in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Genuine commitment to transparency, both with employees and with customers, as a critical cultural principle that drives continues improvement. Company culture of not sweating the small stuff. When problems come up, we do a great job of focusing on the problem not the person. Track record of success over the last decade that's unmatched in the industry.

Cons

We're making progress with respect to diversity, and it's an area where awareness is building, but it needs ongoing attention. To the company's credit, it's not something to which we're turning a blind eye.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in our people, especially at the mid-levels of the organization.

Borrego Solar2019-07-15
  3. "An excellent company that supports the growth of its people"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Borrego has an energetic and mission-driven company culture with a lot of caring and likeminded individuals. It's totally common to hear laughter throughout the day as folks collaborate to solve problems in their work life, and share stories and experiences from their lives outside of work. Transparent leadership. Solid pay.

Cons

The "Boston" office is actual in Lowell, MA, which offers limited commuting options - particularly for folks who life in the city. Anecdotally, I've heard that pay is below market, but that has not been my personal experience.

Borrego Solar2019-07-09

"Great mission and great culture!"

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture that believes in its employees and trusts them to do their jobs well. Excellent growth potential internally, and the company is growing! Big, ambitious goal to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy which makes you feel like you're working for something important.

Cons

The health benefits are a bit expensive, and their salaries seem relatively low for similar positions in the area. Also, because of the lean management mentality, many depts seem like they could benefit from an additional support person or two.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. And keep in mind that as we continue to grow, we need some of the infrastructure, processes, and administrative support that larger companies have to get all the work done.

Borrego Solar2019-07-03

"One big family!"

Current Employee - Accounting in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people and culture make this company great! Professional development is a priority at all levels of the company and Borrego offers a very generous tuition/education reimbursement program. Benefits package overall is first class and time off policies are flexible and fair. Executives and senior managers take an interest in the ideas and opinions of staff level employees and work to incorporate their feedback... where possible through a commitment to continuous improvement. Management is heavily focused on maintaining a family company culture and deep sense of camaraderie and teamwork both within and across departmental lines. We are living our principles every single day by working together to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy!

Cons

Workload can be heavy at times. Pay is fair compared with market but seems slightly low relative to salary structures across the company when skill, education and knowledge level are comparable. Support/admin roles seem a bit less valued than operations/sales.

Advice to Management

Putting our focus on internal customer service is an excellent idea and will play a huge part in our continued success. Please also consider that adoption of this focus could be greatly enhanced by elevating support staff and maximizing the contributions they can make to the Borrego culture. As Borrego continues to implement lean philosophies, we should also look for ways to broaden the scope of support and... administrative positions so that everyone can feel engaged in this exciting and transformative lean journey!

Borrego Solar2017-05-20

"The best job I have ever had"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Borrego Solar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have never worked for a more trusting and transparent organization. It is so refreshing to know exactly how and what the company is doing. All of the people are top notch and super hard working. The executives are approachable and definitely walk the talk. All of these things build what I feel is the best company culture in the industry. Their industry reputation for quality work is well earned. This company is... for those who want to do good work, work hard, and reap the benefits.

Cons

They are lean and mean. At Borrego you are given both a lot of authority and responsibility . That responsibility at times can lead to a heavy load. While they are flexible, they also very process driven and so there is no short cutting.

Advice to Management

I appreciate that they are generally conservative as it has led to our continued annual profitability. That said I think with more resources we could do even more toward accelerating the adoption of renewable energy.

Borrego Solar2013-10-08