Bosch Security Reviews | Glassdoor

Bosch Security CEO Volkmar Denner
Volkmar Denner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No local North America based product and technology decision making other than sales and marketing (in 3 reviews)

• Do not use German employees as head of office in North America (in 6 reviews)

1. "Inventory supervisor/ Master scheduler"

I worked at Bosch Security full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Promote within.
    Good processes and procedures

Cons

No cons. Great company to work for

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Avoid if you have goals of advancement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport, NY

I worked at Bosch Security full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work/life balance for most employees
    Generally supportive of training initiatives

Cons

At the Fairport office, there is little opportunity for advancement, especially in certain business units. Human Resources and management put up roadblocks for advancement, saying things like people don't have experience in some application, or that other non-skill/non-business related things demonstrate lack of leadership skills. Bosch will pay for a long-term employee to obtain certifications or advanced degrees, but rarely promotes them, letting the people leave the company to earn the positions and salary they deserve. Most managers and executives are hired from outside of the company or other sites in North America or Germany. Positions are created for the friends of people in upper management, even for those who do not have the required experience.
    All of this leads to a toxic environment. Associates are pressured to work hard, expand skills, and demonstrate leadership without financial benefit or recognition commensurate with the effort. Many people who have been with the company a long time embolden former alliances and back stab those who are new and those who try to initiate change.
    The problems are especially acute for women. Women and some men will talk about the "good old boys club" that exists, despite Germany having a strong commitment to women (it took 20 years for the initiative called Women@Bosch to make it to Fairport from Germany). In my many years with the company, not one woman in the business unit was promoted, and only a few in the customer service arena (a different BU) were promoted. Women who are strong leaders and try to be heard are categorized as aggressive, and even shouted down in meetings. Gossip there focuses on accusing women of having sexual relations with men with whom they work closely. In my most shocking exchange, HR told me that being a woman won't hold me back; in the same meeting HR told me I should wear turtleneck shirts or shirts that button to the collar if I want to have HR support.

Advice to Management

Bring in the great things from the German office culture of leadership to Fairport; specifically respect for others, encouragement, and opportunity. When your associates tell you in every associate survey that people are not happy, have no influence/decision-making capacity, and that the environment is toxic, don't ask the same executives and "leaders" who cause the problem to fix the problem -- step in and actually listen. End the HR practice of holding people back, and have them give employees tools to actually grow their career at Bosch instead of learning, growing, getting an education at your expense and then having them leave out of frustration.

"Extremely Poor Working Culture, Weak Leadership"

I worked at Bosch Security full-time

Pros

Nothing actually other than having a paid job

Cons

- Poor workplace communication, Poor working culture
    - No diversity thus no clue how to deal with diverse workforce
    - Weak leadership and leaders in North America has no decision authority
    - Everything controlled from Germany so extremely weak sense of responsibility
    - No local North America based product and technology decision making other than sales and marketing
    - No HR leadership and extremely non-innovative HR concepts and HR practices

Advice to Management

- Stop sending management positions from Germany, North America has enough leadership talent, hire local for all the leadership roles
    - Improve HR practices, make HR innovative, and make workplace a great place to work
    - Understand what diversity means and how to deal with diverse workforce
    - Incorporate Bosch values
    - Make workplace a healthy and mentally stimulating place to work and not a frustrating place to work

4. "project manager"

I have been working at Bosch Security full-time

Pros

great working environment over all

Cons

Having a German corporate structure can be over formal

"Good changes happening @ Bosch Security!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Fairport, NY
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Fairport, NY

I have been working at Bosch Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Innovation on the up-tick
    - Enjoyable associates to work with
    - Excellent boss to work for!!

Cons

- People that have been around for a long time show less initiative and desire to change
    - Some cultural paradigms are changing, sometimes too slowly

Advice to Management

Think about your purpose and establish a healthy long-term vision that the employees can rally around.

6. "Good people, not so great upper management"

I worked at Bosch Security full-time

Pros

Good people
    Good environment
    Good processes in place for development

Cons

Entrenched upper management and HR is toxic to overall well-being of this division of Bosch. VP outsources based on self-profit where in-house growth would work better. Does not reflect Bosch culture and virtues.

Advice to Management

Actually care about people other than yourselves.

"Want to time travel back to the 1950's?"

I worked at Bosch Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only positive comments I have- was I did receive a 4% raise due to my performance and benefits met market standards

Cons

Warning: to any educated, successful, driven, intelligent business woman- if you are looking at being treated as a professional and seen as an equal with your male colleagues and with a predominately male management team- Bosch is not the place for you to hang your hat. It is the quintessential "good ole boys" club and the level of sexism is unlike any other global organization I've been apart of. The wage gap between myself and my fellow male colleagues with the exact same job, responsibilities, years of working experience, and in some cases even lower levels of education was at minimum $3,000 (validated by HR). Being a consistent top performer not only in my team, but nationally ranked, I was hoping for advancement and recognition. Instead I was told by multiple management personnel that I would not be given the same opportunities as my male counterparts due to me being a female. I'm not joking. I repeat- I'm not joking. This discrimination still exists. It is alive,well and very embedded into the Bosch culture. So in fact, that they had to institute an internal club named "Women @ Bosch" to bring awareness of the equality that SHOULD be prevalent in their corporate culture but is far from reality. This organization is living in the 1950's - not 2017.

If you're seeking room for advancement, recognition, and respectful communication- Bosch will not be a good cultural fit for any successful driven females.

8. "Opportunities for improvement"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Bosch Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In general there is a good worklife balance. There is also a corporate wellness program. There is optional remote working or e-commuting for some positions.

Cons

Compensation is below average, benefits are standard or just below average. It is a large organization and there are issues with dealing with central HR or other central services. Not every manager prioritizes employee development or training.

Advice to Management

There should be more emphasis on prioritizing employee training and development. It shouldn't feel like I have to fight and scrap every time I want to improve myself and become a better employee.

9. "Accounting Supervisor"

Current Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Fairport, NY
    Current Employee - Accounting Supervisor in Fairport, NY

I have been working at Bosch Security full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great potential for those who work hard.

Cons

Not the most efficient processes.

10. "Great career starter"

Former Employee - Export Coordinator in Greer, SC
    Former Employee - Export Coordinator in Greer, SC

Pros

The overtime after 8 hours

Cons

Desk in non climate control warehouse

Advice to Management

Trust your experience employees versus the less experienced.