Cover image for Bose

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Bose Employee Reviews about "dr bose"

Updated Nov 11, 2021

3.9
Bose CEO Lila Snyder
Lila Snyder

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with and Good products(in 184 reviews)
  • "Good benefits and pension plan.(in 91 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance considering retail industry(in 83 reviews)
  • "The culture is great(in 71 reviews)
  • "Great Start for the beginner at the start up pay is good compared to same industry in market.job(in 58 reviews)
Cons
  • "The hardest part of working for this specific store was the inadequate management and poor organization my managers seemed to lack.(in 62 reviews)
  • "4 leardership changes in the past 4 years and many layoffs(in 42 reviews)
  • "Terrible upper management (Director up to President).(in 32 reviews)
  • "Low salaries as compared to other retailers(in 27 reviews)
  • "Many middle managers have been with the company for over 15 years making it hard to move up from entry level positions.(in 26 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Bose and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "dr bose"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company with prestigious past and promising future

Feb 10, 2019 - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great products and marketing with strong emphasis on research. Dr. Bose lives on within the cadre of staff that carry forward. Good compensation, benefits, and work - life balance. This company is more than great headphones.

Cons

I’m new to the company and quite proud to be a part of a growing, diverse team. However, I’ve witnessed serious lapses in respect for one another even with the core values that the company promotes. Borderline tantrums from individual contributors as more senior staff openly disrespected them, for example. I’ve been around for awhile but this really surprised me and I hope it is isolated. It seems that, for some, speaking out against disrespectful treatment from leadership carries a price.

5 people found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

The company went downhill once DR Bose was gone

Aug 9, 2021 - Principal Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

There used to be a great deal of innovation and interesting projects. Losing Dr. Bose also effected the company's quality of product and handling of employees

Cons

Very little diversity in engineering. Managers didn't listen to employee feedback. Managers who didn't produce kept getting promoted.

3. Join the Bose team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Excellent

Feb 10, 2021 - Assistant Store Manager in Milpitas, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, reputable company excellent customer service

Cons

Going far from what Dr. Bose imagined for business.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not a stable company

Jun 20, 2020 - AI & Data Analyst in Framingham, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company is a good and reputable company built with lots of care from Dr. Bose.

Cons

This company is not stable and that comes from old and stale ways of doing things. They need to keep up with the demand and hire passionate people who know knew technology and not rely to stale knowledge from 25 years ago. They are missing every release because of the old ways of doing things. Hence, they keep laying off employees because they don't have a good strategy in place. Every 3 months expect a reorg or lay offs.

8 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Used to be.

Sep 12, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Aside from receiving a weekly paycheck and having benefits for my family and I; working with top notch local people made being a Bose Team member a joy. Most Bose supervisors have the valuable skill of turning individuals into find tuned teams. The continuous improvement philosophy of Dr. Bose was backed by his reinvestment into the company and into his employees.

Cons

There are not many downsides to working at Bose. However, the arrogant attitudes of some employees makes it slightly difficult to be in harmony with our mission.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Company Review from 2006

May 29, 2017 - Electrical Engineer in Framingham, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

These comments are from when I left the company in 2006. (the last year at employer pull down menu didn't give 2006 as an option) Great benefits, great health insurance. Brilliant engineers, interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Not very inventive and out of the box thinking. Slow to move from idea to product. Wasn't very "cutting edge". Maybe things have changed now that Dr. Bose is no longer alive. Can't eat at desk, can't park at the building you work regularly (had to park in a different parkinglot and take a shuttle. not v ery helpful if you have a doc apt or have to run and pick up kids for any reason)

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

3.5 Stars, Great place to start off a career, but still behind on the times

May 28, 2015 - Mechanical Engineer II in Framingham, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexible work schedule -Great engineering resources, both in terms of personnel, labs, and products -Lots of learning opportunities, working on products is fun -Good benefits and employee discounts

Cons

-Culture can be TOO strong, a lot of offbeat rules/quirks 'because Dr. Bose did things this way' -Company still doesn't understand the younger customer demographic and social media -Pay becomes less competitive the longer you stay. You'll make a decent living but can make better $ elsewhere.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great company if you value stability.

Jun 13, 2008 - Manager in Framingham, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bose is a very successful, stable and well-managed company. The cultural values of work/life balance, giving and receiving respect, and striving for innovation are well-entrenched and usually honored. You don't have to work 80 weeks unless you want to. Bose's customers love their products--customer satisfaction and brand ratings are off the charts. As a result, there's a huge amount of pride in working for the company.

Cons

There's a lot of "old guard" management and a lot of "the way we've always done things." Dr. Bose, although he is a great product and marketing innovator, is a terrible organizational leader who is very comfortable pulling the rug out from under project teams when he thinks he knows a better way. The company is extremely conservative financially to the point of being risk-averse. The company strongly values people that keep their heads down, don't rock the boat, and wait patiently to get ahead.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee

Used to be great until the outside influences came along

Jul 2, 2015 - District Manager in Framingham, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great products and lower level employees that are truly passionate about the company

Cons

Far too many VP's that are in current roles simply by cutting heads. VP's that bankrupted their previous employer, did nothing to deserve the current role they have and now are on their way to bankrupting Bose. And when the going gets tough - they cut heads (except for those that should have been cut, like their own. Far too much reliance now on outside consultants and zero vision or strategy especially from those in charge of that area. Dr Bose was the visionary who created this company and grew a thriving culture that is now starting to fail. He cared first about people and technology, and with that simple belief, the company flourished and grew. Now the focus is sales growth and profits with people being a commodity. And chasing other innovative companies instead of truly innovating and blazing their own trail.

17 people found this review helpful
  11. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Sad to say the company has change!

May 19, 2015 - Assistant Store Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I used to love this company because they cared for their employees! Since Dr. Bose passing the company is going downhill. If you work in the Texas area good luck on moving up! If the District Manager likes you, you are in good hands even if you know nothing about the job! You can be the best in your store, but if he doesn't like you, you are out of luck!

Cons

No support from higher ups when it comes to the store. Management keeps pushing store managers to give more of their time but fail to follow their own advice! They want leaders but they themselves are not leaders. It is sad to say that they will only promote because you can talk out of your head not because you know how to do the job.

6 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews
</>Embed

Popular Careers with Bose Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at Bose? Share Your Experiences

Bose Careers

Cover image for Bose

We're uncompromising innovators. We’re addicted to innovation. It’s what keeps us going, and why curiosity and imagination are so...More

• What We Do
  • Why We Do It
  • Reach Your Potential

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

199 days ago

Culture
We recently celebrated the start of a new fiscal year- and so we chose to celebrate in style! At our corporate headquarters in Framingham, as well as at events around the world, we paused to convene and enjoy time with friends, food, and fun. Spending an afternoon at work with free food, beverages, live music, product demonstrations and giveaways, games.... not a bad way to start the year! Thanks to all the employees who came together to make this event series great.
Shared image

271 days ago

Culture
Black History Month is an annual reminder to reflect on the impact Black people and Black culture have had on the world. This year, we celebrate Black musicians who used their art to give a glimpse into the Black experience. When speeches don’t say enough and snapshots don’t capture the full picture, music has the power to connect us as humans so we can shape our future together. As part of our internal Black History Month celebration, we were thrilled to have two music scholars — Kyle Brooks, PhD. from the Methodist Theological School in Ohio and Deborah Smith Pollard, Ph.D. from the University of Michigan-Dearborn — lead us in conversation about the important role Black protest music plays in uniting all who care about racial equity.
Shared image - Black@Bose: Music is Black History
Black@Bose: Music is Black History
dms.licdn.com

Bose Photos

+ Add Photo
Bose photo of: United Way Bose Gives
Bose photo of: SWE
Bose photo of: Ice Cream Party at HQ
Bose photo of: On the top of the mountain
Bose photo of: Marketing Team Bose Gives

Apple

4.3

34,385 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 1,808 Bose reviews submitted anonymously by Bose employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Bose is right for you.