Boston Children's Hospital Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Boston Children's Hospital Boston Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Boston, MA Area

Pros
  • Great place to work, High quality Science, Very good Benefits (in 34 reviews)

• Children requiring complex care - great place for a new grad to learn (in 27 reviews)

1. "Program coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

great families, amazing work environment

Cons

politics can drag you down a bit

2. "Great Mission"

Current Employee - Development Officer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Development Officer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This hospital is the best of the best, so it's easy to have a lot of pride in the organization. Everyone genuinely wants to provide the best care possible to the patients. Hospital leadership is wonderful and are great professionals to look up to.

Cons

Many departments are silos and it's difficult to work collaboratively. The nature of the work is so wrapped up in necessary compliance and regulations that it's created a culture that makes attempted collaboration hard. There are also a lot of egos to deal with. Benefits are not what you would hope for from a world class medical institution.

Advice to Management

Allow for bottom up reviews - too much complacency for employees who have worked at the organization for a long time

3. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Hospital (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, great work. Boston Children's helps those in need. They handle the most complex cases in the world.

Cons

Egos are huge and can get in the way. At times too big to have everyone working together.

"Physician"

Current Employee - Physician in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Physician in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, patients, and families

Cons

Too little support for those "on the front lines"

Advice to Management

Walk a mile

6. "Positive interning experience"

Former Intern - Intern in Weymouth, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Weymouth, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Hospital as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

BCH has a friendly atmosphere, my management was fairly well-organized, and I had good training my first couple of weeks interning. My co-workers were also respectful and friendly!

Cons

It wasn't an easy commute for me (Longwood Area is kind of difficult to get to, though the shuttle was a huge help).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! BCH is a nice place to work and I enjoyed my time there.

7. "Standard hospital setting"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Easy access via public transport, benefits OK, variety of sites/locations for offices as the hospital acquires new buildings and creates new space.

Cons

No much room for growth based on performance, constantly under construction and new renovations don't improve hospital function or performance, practically no parking anywhere, senior leadership seems distant and unavailable.

8. "BCH review"

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Boston, MA

Pros

It is a highly professional environment. The knowledge has accumulated over the past 20 years which makes it a very rich environment.

Cons

Hard to move on and become fully independent. Some people are hard to communicate with.

9. "EA BCH"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People I work with at BCH

Cons

Salary below the average for area

Advice to Management

Consider raising salaries of employees that qualify and rate high in their annual reviews

10. "Administrative Associate"

Current Employee - Administrative Associate III in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate III in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to work when you are just starting out in healthcare. The benefits are pretty good and you do get a lot of paid vacation.

Cons

There is not a lot of opportunity for growth - you're either overqualified for the position you are in, or under qualified for a management position.

"Senior Manager, Marketing Department"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible mission, 75% of people were really great people to work with, good benefits,

Cons

Combative, Defensive, Unprofessional, Manipulative -- Senior leadership in the Marketing department really struggles to create an environment that is productive and motivating. The wrong people are rewarded and aggressive, immature and unprofessional behavior will continue to exist until HR steps in to change this. It is unfortunate because there are some really smart and passionate people in the mid-management and junior levels, but they will continue to leave as long as this culture remains as is. I would never recommend this place to anyone who does not want to spend half their days arguing or defending their expertise.

Advice to Management

Take action to make this department less political and less combative. Be more clear with what expectations are and allow people to make some decisions without having to constantly defend work, especially when it is subjective.