Boston Children's Hospital Reviews

Updated May 5, 2021

4.1
Boston Children's Hospital President & CEO Sandra L. Fenwick
Sandra L. Fenwick
Pros
  • "Great employer and good benefits(in 69 reviews)

• "It is a great place to transition somewhere else(in 45 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Difficult to move up and low pay(in 58 reviews)

• "Poor management and no room for growth(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Boston Children's Hospital and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Good Company

May 5, 2021 - Research Assistant in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, large enough to support innovation

Cons

Hard to connect with a lot of people

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A terrible place to get experience.

Apr 29, 2021 - Research Assistant in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place if you need to learn to fend for yourself and develop thick skin.

Cons

I took the job with mutual understanding that I was new to the type of research the lab was doing, but that I would receive the best training and direction. I worked as a BCH employee, but the lab was at the Harvard School of Public Health. Unfortunately the lab had absolutely no structure. The research associate (who was also my supervisor) I was assisting was off site more than half of the time of my employment and even disappeared for a full week the second week of my employment to attend research conferences. There was no other person in the lab who could provide direction either. Early on I would show up for work and be given no assignments or direction, it would be like "what am I even doing here today?" I had to verify my work hours or activity with the research associate via text or email, because in person contact was rare. Training was also very much a "one and done" experience with the demonstration and too many questions from my end could lead to aggressive criticism. The pay was also poor, in fact my supervisor made special arrangements for me so that I was salaried for what was normally an hourly position. So I never worked under 40 hours, frequently worked 60+ hours a week and got no overtime.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Incredibly Disappointing.

Feb 10, 2021 - Development Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, incredible mission. I've had the chance to make some life long friends.

Cons

Upper management at the Trust is incredibly deceitful. In the span of less than three years, I have been bounced around from team to team without being given any choice in the matter. I have been withheld opportunities to grow and to show the skill sets that I've worked so hard to achieve and I'm never given the chance to express my own opinions or hopes for the future because of the level of my position. The management style on the Planned Giving team is incredibly toxic and has often forced me to leave work stressed and upset. In the span of less than a year, we lost 3 people due to this. The managers are extremely gossipy and have often put me in awkward situations where they've spoken badly about other colleagues and have wanted me to jump in on their "fun." Their behavior is petty, mean and downright unprofessional. They also constantly leave me out of conversations and projects and then turn the blame right to the team and I when something isn't done. Their communication with myself and the rest of the team is completely non existent and their style of handling situations is basically to make you feel like you're a complete screw up.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great work for a great organization

Apr 30, 2021 - Patient Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great management and training for new staff

Cons

lack of transparency from management at times

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Nice job to get your foot in the door but limited growth opportunities.

May 4, 2021 - Program Coordinator II in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Being able to work in a fast paced work environment and also being able to provide great patient experience.

Cons

Administrative duties can be stressful / overwhelming. Feels like leader and management is not supportive (could vary by department).

6. 5.0

Best pediatric facility

Apr 29, 2021 - Nurse in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent place to work and grow.

Cons

Can be hectic, fast-moving, stressful.

7. 5.0

BCH research assistant

Apr 27, 2021 - Clinical Research Assistant II in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

definitely will help with future career

Cons

shame can be used as a way to motivate assistants to finish projects

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

good for me at this covid19 year

Apr 16, 2021 - Applications Development Specialist in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

✔️remote working ✔️a little earlier covid19 vaccine ✔️healthy work life balance ✔️work with smartest doctors make you smart ✔️good to feel helping children.

Cons

parking near the hospital is expensive lower than competitive salary for a software engineer

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Lots of opportunity across the org to learn and develop skills

Apr 1, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

So many wonderful people work at BCH, and there is so much great work happening. Many employees feel a sense of pride working for BCH. People are willing to connect with you, help you grow, expose you to different opportunities. Great place to learn.

Cons

Can be hard to navigate, growth opportunities are there but some departments are better with that than others.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great opportunity, with a great name

Apr 28, 2021 - Patient Experience Representative in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are amazing and resilient to work with. Working with these kids gives you a great sense of thanks. Amazing benefits.

Cons

Consistent paperwork, long hours, low pay, a lot of triaging unhappy parents

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,083 Reviews