Boston Children's Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Boston Children's Hospital President & CEO Sandra L. Fenwick
Sandra L. Fenwick

Pros
  • Good benefits, great community, good food (in 39 reviews)

• Childrens is a Great place to work (in 32 reviews)

"to much red tape"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Brookline, MA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Brookline, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital (More than 5 years)

Pros

number one hospital for children!

Cons

treatment to non clinical employees not the same as physicians and RNs. too burocratic, bad management

Advice to Management

take the time to know what the people you manage actually do

2. "Poor PostDoc Support"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people to work with, plenty of free lunches, acceptable benefits scheme, cheap public transport pass

Cons

Benefits are very expensive compared to other Harvard Medical School Hospitals. PostDocs are often paid BELOW NIH standards. No support for GreenCard and Visa applications. Very limited career progression options. Very long working week expected, 60+ hours

Maybe a good employer from a medical point of view.

DO NOT DO POST-DOC RESEARCH HERE!

Advice to Management

Actually care about your research staff, support them and make sure that they are being paid what they deserve for the time that they work

"Research Administrator"

Current Employee - Research Administrator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Administrator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The institution does great things for their patients. Leading technology and research to help those in need, helping families cover the costs of their medical care.

Cons

It's difficult to be anything other than a researcher or medical staff. People in the back office are almost always forgotten. There is a LOT of micromanagement, and are often very underpaid.

4. "Poor management"

Former Employee - IP Communications Analyst II in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - IP Communications Analyst II in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Average benefits, including a pension program, and flexible schedule.

Cons

Poor Management, Lack of leadership

Advice to Management

To hire qualified managers and team leaders

"Ambulatory Services Representative Training Program"

Current Employee - Ambulatory Service Representative II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Ambulatory Service Representative II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-For the training program, they recruit young recent college gradates. Most of the people will be around your age and you do get to know some people in your group.
    -For a period of 3 months you float around to different departments either in the front or back end of clinics. Its a great way to get to know the hospital and all the different clinics it has.
    -There is a lot of epic training, almost too much. We were taught to make a brand new patient about twenty times, I don't think anyone during the duration of the program even made a new patient in the clinic setting.
    -Good benefits. After your 90 day probation period you have 30 paid days off for a year, 50% off public transportation, you can use the LMA shuttle, and theres $5,000 tuition reimbursement per semester.
    -Now I'm done with the training program and I never have to see the supervisor anymore. I like the department I'm in so far now.

Cons

-The main downside to the training program was my boss. She micromanages, you don't even see her except for the weekly meetings which were a waste of time.
    -You don't really to get to choose to where you float to, I think there should be more of a say to where we would like to be. If the training program is to promote longevity this should be a major concern. It doesn't make sense to put someone in a phone call center if they would never apply, while there are people who do like the back end work.
    -The training was way too long. I felt like I was in high school again. Anyone over the age of 25 is too old or this program almost, I mean taking a 4 hour class while we learn about empathy and how to talk to patients and their families? Really? Anyone who has had a job dealing with people should already have this skill. Its a total waste of money from the hospital, while the money could go to something more useful.
    -At the end of the training program you are able to apply to job openings, the supervisor has to approve it first. I never understood this, if you feel you're ready to apply why can't you apply? You're not in the training program forever.
    -I would not do the training program if I had a to do over. I would do my own research and just apply on my own.

Advice to Management

Learn to be more personable, and actually support the people who work for you. No one's perfect and we're all learning.

"Experience, Lots of Work, Tough Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The brand is a resume builder
    The mission is wonderful and the hospital really helps children
    Some coworkers are very talented and dedicated
    You will learn skills that will serve you in the future
    Some of the senior leaders are among the best I've seen

Cons

You will most likely learn by fire under really difficult stressful circumstances
    Fear and gossip, poor collaboration, disrespectful behavior are common
    There are some very strong leaders, some very weak leaders, and accountability is inconsistent
    It is very very common to be overworked and under-resourced so unless you are doing your life's work, you will burn out

Advice to Management

I don't have answers or solutions, except to start being really honest about the issues and courageous enough to do something about them.

"Administrative Assistant II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping the Children. It's job until you find another one. Working with some of the staff and doctors.

Cons

It depends on the department. My was awful, micromanagement, the managers had no respect for the staff. VERY VERY high turnover. The pay was too low, not livable in the Boston and surrounding areas. I even saw some of the staff fired / not hired back if they were out on Medical leave even though they wanted to come back to work. Managers could bring in someone else at a cheaper pay rate. Some of the parents. Half the departments are "Foundations", which rents the Children's name.

Advice to Management

I rated the CEO poorly, because she allows her managers to treat staff with no respect.

"Nursing Informatics Specialist"

Current Employee - Massachusetts in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Massachusetts in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits with competitive salary.

Cons

Little opportunity for growth. No defined career path. If you want to be a worker bee with no opinion this is the place for you.

"Great organization, need better leadership in management"

Former Employee - Administrator (Mid-Level) in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administrator (Mid-Level) in Boston, MA

Pros

-Mission and patient satisfaction focus
    -Dedicated Staff and Doctors

Cons

-Little to no management oversight
    -Whistleblowing seems to be frowned upon.
    -No real action when concerns arise about poor management.

Advice to Management

Better training of managers. Protection for whistleblowers.

"Rewarding work but terrible administration"

Current Employee - Program Administrator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Administrator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very rewarding work in clinical care and cutting edge research. The new CEO seems to be trying very hard to improve the hospital for patients and employees.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive and there is no path for promotion whatsoever. It often seems management actively impedes promotions and raises in salaries. I know several talented and intelligent staff that were excited to start working here but left after only 1 or 2 years for this reason.

Advice to Management

Reward those that perform well. Don't be afraid to give them opportunities to take on new responsibilities.