Boston Children's Museum Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 19 reviews

3.8
Boston Children's Museum CEO Carole Charnow
Carole Charnow
  1. "Best Place That I've Ever Worked! Fabulous Education Department!"

Former Employee - Countdown to Kindergarten Fellow, AmeriCorps in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Museum full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is an amazing environment with supportive staff who genuinely care about the work that they do for children and families. The work that is being done is meaningful and innovative. The programming is cutting edge.

Cons

I enjoyed my experience and counted it an honor to work in a place that didn't have so much drama and office politics.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Boston Children's Museum2017-05-05
  2. "Visitor Experience Associate"

Former Employee - Visitor Experience Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Museum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good starter job to get a look into how a museum works. Fun atmosphere that fostered staff creativity.

Cons

Very low pay. Though some people had managed it, it seemed nearly impossible to advance from visitor services into other museum offices, even with appropriate education and background.

Boston Children's Museum2018-07-08
  3. "Fun Environment, Bad Management and Little Pay"

Former Employee - VEA - Cashier in Bostonia, CA

I worked at Boston Children's Museum part-time for more than a year

Pros

The work has the potential to be very engaging and fun if you throw yourself into it. You get to be creative and learn and contribute a lot.

Cons

You are expected to progressively do more work without a raise or promotion, and even if you get one you make hardly any more money. In addition, management is not very responsive and are out of touch with what actually is going on in the museum.

Advice to Management

-Pay your workers a livable wage -Credit them for their contributions -Listen to your staff -The customer is not always right, don't throw staff under the bus.

Boston Children's Museum2017-07-13
  4. "Visitor Experience Associate"

Former Employee - Visitor Experience Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Museum full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's in a museum, which fit my background. Most of the people that work there are very passionate.

Cons

Upper management and office staff has very little respect for front of house staff. Pay is so low it felt borderline abusive, especially when a yearly raise is only 30 cents per hour, regardless of performance. Lots of opportunities to grow your responsibilities but very few to increase your pay or change your title. No upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the fellows program, as it does not actually solve the upward mobility issue. Raise the hourly pay to at least $12, preferably $15. Be respectful to the front of house staff. Offer pay increases or at least bonuses for any additional duties, such as being an exhibit mentor.

Boston Children's Museum2017-06-23
  5. "Customer Service employees are undervalued"

I worked at Boston Children's Museum full-time

Pros

As a member of the floor team, you have lots of opportunities to interact with the public and grow as an educator. The Education team is driven and passionate, and programs are high quality.

Cons

Management did not care about customer service staff. We were underpaid based upon our experience, taken advantage of, and discriminated against for using paid sick time. There is no support for cashier staff.

Advice to Management

Support your low-level employees. It will decrease turnover, increase morale and decrease the need to constantly train new employees. Offer opportunities for professional development and career growth.

Boston Children's Museum2017-01-18
  6. "Wonderful"

Former Intern - Ballet Teacher and Assistant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Museum for more than 5 years

Pros

Wonderful co-workers Friendly environment Learning around every corner I was able to cross over from membership into doing a lot more design which is/was my primary focus I got to work across other departments and interact with all aspects of running the museum. Working on the annual gala was extremely fun!

Cons

Higher-ups extremely conservative Very limiting in terms of design Strict yet vague dress code for us office dwellers As an intern, there was a lot of busy work involved, but expected!

Advice to Management

Think about your web design as more family fun and less corporate. I want to see more focus on the fact that this museum is a non-profit! (donation button year round!) Clarify the dress code a little more

Boston Children's Museum2016-12-11
  7. "Management"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Jamaica Plain, MA

I have been working at Boston Children's Museum full-time for less than a year

Pros

BCM has a great Mission and commitment to serving all families in Boston. The staff are talented, creative and passionate. There is never a dull moment. Lots of opportunity to learn new skills. Though there are frequent holiday and weekend hours. Management works with salaried employees to grant time off for important family time.

Cons

Salaries are abysmal - it is a non-profit. They're working on it. Not a lot they can do quickly but there is a long term plan. Diversity in Management could be improved.

Boston Children's Museum2016-07-05
  8. "A great environment"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Museum for less than a year

Pros

Everyone I worked with at the Museum was really friendly and really hard working. My supervisors were upper management and they went out of their way to make sure I had work to do and to challenge me with tasks. It is in an AMAZING location right in the seaport district a few blocks from South Station.

Cons

Sometimes it can be boring without any tasks/work to do

Boston Children's Museum2016-05-11
  9. "Not my favorite"

Former Intern - Development Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Children's Museum for less than a year

Pros

Participated at a couple of events. Had a good boss who taught me how to use RE

Cons

Had to work some weekends without pay, on top of an unpaid internship to begin with. Usually did daily tasks other people in development were paid to do as opposed to an intern project where I could really get something out of it. No set time for internship- I thought I would be there for about 3 months, they were under the impression I could stay for over 6 months working unpaid

Boston Children's Museum2015-12-22
  10. "Good place to grow"

I worked at Boston Children's Museum

Pros

This organization offers a lot of opportunity for creativity and professional development. Its position in the community also allows you to connect with a lot of other people and groups.

Cons

The pay is in line with other museums, but it is not easy to move up within the organization itself, making it hard to stay on for along period of time.

Boston Children's Museum2015-09-03