Boston Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 2165 reviews

4.1
Boston Consulting Group CEO Rich Lesser
Rich Lesser

"Good comp, slow progression"

Current Employee - Director, Business Development Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Consulting Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, smart people, fast-paced

Cons

Poor wlb and few career options for people not in client service

Advice to Management

Need to think about career trajectory for BST

Boston Consulting Group2019-05-30

"Toxic work culture - absence of mentorship - luck based growth rather than outcome based growth"

Current Employee - Project Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Boston Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Brand name: Sadly even today the outside world values a "BCG Consultant" as though they have magical powers. This will change very shortly! Because within BCG, people grow into senior roles without having true leadership skills. Most of the partners do not have good leadership skills.

Cons

- Mentorship & leadership: Although this is the aspect that BCG publicizes, this is the one component that is missing completely. 90% of BCGers would be scared to express their true thought process or push back to a P/ PL or Partner in a case. - Work culture: If you are lucky enough to be staffed with a P/ PL who is open to learning alongside you and mentoring you, you will be in constant threat of being... counselled out. If you somehow end up being well liked by your P, you will get good scores irrespective of your true performance. The only factor to success at BCG - Luck! - Diversity & Inclusion: Again an aspect they publicize on, but is completely absent! Just count the number of women partners vs white male partners. Someone with pedigree is valued way higher than someone who doesn't have a fancy Ivy league MBA - even if the latter adds more value, is hard working, motivated and dedicated and is open to feedback. - WLB: I don't think I've ever heard people at BCG use this term - if you ever bring this up with your P/ PL, you can expect to be counselled out post next CDC. - Happiness: You are neither happy at your job given the bad work culture nor happy at home given the bad work culture! It consumes you. People end up going to therapy to deal with the stress and low self confidence. Job security is severely low. One could probably even seek the up-or-out mindset and say that they like the fast paced growth. But the "up" is not dependent on how dedicated you are. The "up" is dependent on your luck in terms of the P/ Partner you end up working with. - Pay: Again another aspect heavily publicized in the positive light. There are many places outside of BCG that pay much better for significantly better WLB. For example: tech, start-ups Advice to folks looking to join BCG: Heavily recommend spending some time on Fishbowl (or similar apps). Fishbowl is an app where current and former consultants share anonymous posts about their experiences pre, post and during their consulting days. This opened my eyes! I wish I had read this before joining the firm.

Advice to Management

Follow what you showcase to the outside world as your principles.

Boston Consulting Group2019-07-07
  3. "Tremendous Intellectual Challenge"

Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You work with some of the brightest, most innovative people in the world

Cons

Two tier society -- consultants and everyone else

Boston Consulting Group2019-06-05

"Not the right fit."

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Summit, NJ

I worked at Boston Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are the golden handcuffs. But actually once you leave, you realize benefits are also great at other companies.

Cons

You are analyzed for social behavior and cues that are completely unrelated to your actual job performance. The pay is FAR BELOW pay grade for assistants spanned across competitors. The raise is a joke and the bonus after it's taxed at 40% is laughable.

Advice to Management

GET NEW MANAGEMENT. This is the poorest job in managing people that I've ever witnessed. They are not invested in employees who represent the values at BCG. What they rely on is fear and micro managing to keep the assistants pigeon holed and afraid but also greatful for their duration at the company. It's sad because the partners are amazing but unfortunately you are managed by the managers.

Boston Consulting Group2019-07-10

"Neutral experience"

Current Employee - Researcher in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company culture, fun people, constant learning

Cons

Management is often unresponsive to employee concerns High turnover and burn out rate

Boston Consulting Group2019-06-14

"Great network and smart people. Cut-throat competitive"

Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Boston Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Looking back, I have a lot fond memories of my time at BCG. I also have a lot of bad ones but I'll get to that next. I had a lot of fun with my case teams, and I learned much more than I would have anywhere else. Most of my cases were interesting and I was challenged constantly. Being a part of BCG had tons of perks too - I definitely miss traveling and eating like I used to. But in all seriousness, the network... I built there is going to serve me for life. I don't know if I could have made a better choice out of undergrad.

Cons

With all the great things I said, they worked us hard. I barely saw some friends for months at a time, between the work and the traveling. I think the worst thing about the company is how competitive it is. I saw a lot of people struggling to figure things out and other associates wouldn't help. Some people were pretty two-faced, and they would act like your friend but would never actually help.

Advice to Management

Do more to encourage collaboration and team work

Boston Consulting Group2019-06-11

"Awesome place to work but not forever for everyone"

Current Employee - Project Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Boston Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People, salary, teams, projects, management -> really too many to list

Cons

Lifestyle and travel can be draining

Boston Consulting Group2019-05-21

"Great Training Ground"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Boston Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Learned so much to help me land a job in a great industry

Cons

Extremely demanding and management can be very wound up

Boston Consulting Group2019-06-04
  9. "Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Boston Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Real focus on development at every level

Cons

Not an easy job, and if you don't want to do it forever, you max out on learning pretty early

Boston Consulting Group2019-06-07
  10. "Long hours, but pros outweigh cons"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist

I have been working at Boston Consulting Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, perks, physical office space

Cons

Work-life balance could be better

Boston Consulting Group2019-06-05