Boston Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Terry L. Metzger

Pros
Cons
  • This is because the pay is crappy, there's not much room for growth since everyone is 50 (in 5 reviews)

• Hard to break into the ranks of senior management unless you've worked here 20 (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place for part-time work during college"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at Boston Financial part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People, Flexible hours, great for current students

Cons

Sedentary work, coffee brewed at the office is pretty terrible

Apr 3, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thanks so much for your review. Our Lawrence location is definitely a great location for college students to expand their careers in the financial industry while attending school. We will ... More

2. "Data Entry"

Former Employee - Data Entry in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Financial part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work culture, coworkers are helpful and motivating

Cons

not any as of now

Mar 17, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you! Your thoughts and kind words are appreciated. We definitely agree that our people are our greatest strengths and we are so glad that you found this to be so.

3. "Bos"

Current Employee - Mutual Fund Representative in Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Mutual Fund Representative in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at Boston Financial part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome management staff and peer employees

Cons

Work is sometimes aimless busywork

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Extremely depressing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockland, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockland, ME

I worked at Boston Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros to this place are the Benefits, pay, and the actual building itself is beautiful, but that still is not enough to keep people around.

Cons

People aren't friendly, there is a very robotic type atmosphere, high stress, you can't please management at all, ever, insanely high turnover rate, absolutely no positive reinforcement, they focus solely on what you have done wrong and what you have to improve, constant schedule shifting, condescending and at times very rude management, employees are just a number to them, literally.

Advice to Management

Instead of blaming everyone else, let me rephrase that, instead of claiming employees who quit need to take 'personal responsibility' they need to take a better look at themselves. *If your business has such a high turnover rate of employees, there is clearly something internal that needs to be fixed. I'd rather run a company of people who stick around for years giving my company a good name, than have the 'everyone is replaceable' attitude, because honestly, I think this company is running out of people local to this area who'll work for them.

6. "Positive Enviornment"

Current Employee - Part Time Mutual Fund Representative in Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Part Time Mutual Fund Representative in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at Boston Financial (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours, easy to work with managers.

Cons

Some times work is boring, but still very relaxing enviornment

7. "It has its pros and cons."

Current Employee - Senior Client Relations Advisor in Quincy, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Client Relations Advisor in Quincy, WA

Pros

Easy commute for South Shore residents. Good comradery with fellow employees. Ample volunteer opportunities.

Cons

Pockets of old school mentality. Hard to break into the ranks of senior management unless you've worked here 20+ years.

Mar 16, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

The commute and camaraderie at Boston Financial are some of the reasons that I love working here too! We appreciate you writing this review and providing your honest feedback. We will be sure to ... More

8. "A good place to grow skills."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

I worked at Boston Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a focus on teamwork, an orderly process to complete work. Also, the company provides ample training and skill-building opportunities for associates so they can be engaged at the job. The people are friendly, helpful, and there are plenty of them to meet.

Cons

The workload may become too light in certain parts of the year. Some projects may be put on the backburner and left there for months, if not years, before they are addressed.

Advice to Management

Have more resources on hand to help teams catch up on their projects so they can have more time to move forward.

9. "Good Part-Time Job"

Current Employee - Flex Mutual Fund Representative in Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Flex Mutual Fund Representative in Lawrence, KS

Pros

Flexible work schedule.
    You work at your own pace.
    Friendly managers that are willing to help with any questions you have.

Cons

Don't get all the hours you are scheduled when they run out of work.

Mar 1, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Glad to see so many "pros" associated with your job at Boston Financial, particularly the benefits of the flexible work schedule. For our Flex positions in Lawrence, we hire associates with the ... More

10. "Excellent emloyer, reat benefits, supurb training."

Former Employee - Lead Mutual Fund/Corporate Securities Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Boston Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Boston Financial will give you a thorough and comprehensive paid training program in the mutual fund industry. Be prepared to have a knowledge level commensurate with any registered financial advisor. Employees can take advantae of excellent benefits package including health, vision, dental insurance, 401(k) 2 weeks paid vacation. You can be proud to work for this company.

Cons

No licensing is offered or sponsored by the company. This allows the pay rates to be kept relatively low. There are avenues for advancement, but there is an issue with mid-level management being a little clique-ish. Keep track of all your successes and home-runs.

Advice to Management

Corporate culture comes from the top. It's the dream plan of how the top executive wants the company to function towards each employee so that people will want to work there. There is a noticable dissconnect at the group manager level regarding culture. If culture is important to the company, midlevel management should agree to keep the stated corporate culture in mind in promotion decisions and employee evaluations.

Jan 26, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time working at Boston Financial. We will be sure to share your advice with the Management team and wish ... More

"MF/Corp Sec rep."

Current Employee - Mutual Funds/Corporate Securities Representative in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at Boston Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good people to work with, and friendly management. Some great people work here and they hire competent people.

Cons

Lower end compensation, work load can be heavy depending on season. Turnover rate of part time employees can lead to heavy volumes of work and as the new wave is hired can lead to lack of work to be done.

Advice to Management

Make sure to provide strong compensation to employees who work hard. Senior staff and upper level full time associates sometimes feel a lack in compensation for the skill set required.

Jan 3, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate your kind words about the terrific people that make Boston Financial successful! Our associates stay with us (on average) for more than 10 years. We believe ... More