Boston Market Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Boston Market CEO George Michel
George Michel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • autonomy, use of own vehicle, flexible hours, great management (in 23 reviews)

• Good food, good discount, free drinks, worked with school schedule (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't invest in the workforce (in 21 reviews)

• General manager needs to provide better service to customers (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Passionate People, Great Food and Career Growth"

I have been working at Boston Market full-time

Pros

Boston Market has a ton of passionate employees that care deeply about the success of their employees and their restaurants. There are a lot of examples of employees that started as team members with the company and grew into management level positions. They also have great food that the team can feel proud to serve.

Cons

Nothing that is really apparent.

Feb 17, 2017 – Field Recruiting Specialist

Your review made us smile! We can tell you’re someone who embraces our vision, mission, and values at Boston Market. Thank you for sharing your insight and keep up the great work!

2. "Drive-Thru Operator"

Former Employee - Drive Thru Cashier in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Drive Thru Cashier in San Diego, CA

I worked at Boston Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive atmosphere and fun work

Cons

No organization and no voice in choosing schedule

Advice to Management

Organize better

Sep 11, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we’re sorry to hear your experience was mixed. We take all feedback into consideration and are always looking for ways to improve.

3. "If you need a job"

I have been working at Boston Market full-time

Pros

Will hire anyone if you take the time to fill out an app

Cons

Pay and management doesn't really manage. They just kinda hang out noy really working

4. "Deliver driver"

I have been working at Boston Market part-time

Pros

Good payment. Nice people.

Cons

Sometimes are slow. Not always give you hours

Sep 11, 2017

Thank you for your great review! We love hearing you’ve had such a positive expedience working at Boston Market. It is people like you that make Boston Market a great place to work!

5. "Hard, but rewarding work."

I have been working at Boston Market part-time

Pros

I've been at Boston Market since the start of summer break, and I have to admit it is an OK first job. My coworkers are friendly and thanks to the fast service you don't have to deal with the customers as long as a waitressing job. The menu is easy to learn, and cashiering is probably the best assignment to have when you have a moderate amount of people coming in.

>Easy Menu
    >Happy Coworkers
    >Free Drinks and 50% off on food
    >Managers sometimes get chocolate or food to brighten up employees
    >customers are usually friendly and fun to talk to
    >it doesn't take long to be moved up to your assigned position
    >during the downtime between rushes things get easier and everyone is happy
    >Generally easy to scedule off time if family emergencies pop up. Off time is usually given if requested within 2-4 weeks before the schedule is posted
    >assistant managers give great advice
    >one of the best paying jobs for a teen, if you have 4-6 months experience they bump you up to ten dollars an hour

Cons

The bad sides are pretty clear
    >everything from dishwashing to cashier is hard manual labor
    -General Manager loves to tell people how to do their jobs while not doing hers, getting salaried pay so she can leave and the rest of the work is dumped on all of us clocked in.
    -General Manager creates the schedule, always, and ALLWAYS expect to be put on the weekends or during the buisiest days.
    -General Manager thinks learning happens instantaneously, and not through trial and error
    -General Manager seems to hold long term grudges
    -General Manager gives all the crappy hours and jobs like washing dishes to the new employees and the assistant managers get overburdened with the deadweight
    -cashier assigned to WAAAY too many jobs, you literally have to be everywhere at once to finish on schedule. Cashier does serving, bagging, ringing up, food temperatures, sanitation strips, keeping the hotcase clean, bringing dishes to the dishwasher, wiping tables, sweeping the dining room, cleaning and restocking the drink station, refilling the ice, mopping and restocking bathrooms, wiping down the front window, and a few others. You can see how all of this can add up and make for another hour of work off schedule.
    >Dishwasing is manual and strenuous. I lost 7 pounds in my first two weeks working there
    >when it's understaffed things can get chaotic and you can get assigned to even more jobs you aren't supposed to do. Also you get out later.

Advice to Management

+Audit the general managers, make sure they do their job, like adding a clocking system special for the managers
    +Realize that it takes time to learn things.
    +Try to assign peoplewhere you need them. If it's a day that is usually busy, get a server on duty to assist with drive thru and cash
    +distribute side jobs more evenly on busy days so the cashier doesn't have to stay till 10 finishing up after a rush

Sep 15, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We value all of the reviews we receive on Glassdoor as we want to better understand where we are meeting the needs of our employees and where we can continue to improve.

6. "Sala r y"

Current Employee - Crew in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Crew in Houston, TX

I have been working at Boston Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok decent I guess pay could be better

Cons

Pp aid less than rent

Advice to Management

Na

Sep 11, 2017

Thank you for your great review! We love hearing you’ve had such a positive experience working at Boston Market. It is people like you that make Boston Market a great place to work!

7. "Long hours underpaid"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Boston Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best standards for clean workplace. Consistent expectations. They have many locations throughout the United States. The training program is outstanding.

Cons

Seems that they change the inventory just as bonus are due so you never seem to attain the bonus then a few days later the inventory is correct.

Advice to Management

Pay managers better.

Sep 11, 2017

8. "Lots of drama. Decent pay. No hours after Christmas"

Current Employee - Hourly Shift Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Hourly Shift Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Boston Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food for management.
    Do great and possibility for promotion and regular raises
    My store is flexible in scheduling.

Cons

No breaks.
    Mandatory Thanksgiving that will break you.
    Poor communication.
    Upper management and corporate are not down to earth and expect unrealistic results.
    After Christmas (also mandatory) no one gets near 25 hours per week. Overworked you for two months and until July no hours.

Advice to Management

Close the restaurant after Christmas. Because having to cut individuals hours to make up for no sales instead right. It should be considered unjustified and cruel.

Sep 11, 2017

Thanks for the feedback, we’re committed to creating a comfortable and collaborative environment for employees so we’re disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. We value and consider all... More

9. "Boston Market"

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier

I worked at Boston Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees pay half price on food purchases.

Cons

When busy, you might work in multiple positions (Ex. cook,cashier, and server)

Sep 11, 2017

We’re glad to hear that working at Boston Market was such a positive experience for you. Good luck with your future endeavors!

10. "Overworked and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Drive Thru Cashier in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Drive Thru Cashier in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Boston Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment, always busy

Cons

Have to fight for hours, get paid minimum wage for a busy restaurant, not allowed to take tips from guests, absolutely must work Thanksgiving.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people who don't deserve it, treat your long term employees better.