Boston Market Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Boston Market CEO George Michel
George Michel

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is out of touch with guest expectations (in 18 reviews)

• Low pay with little increase after promotion (in 14 reviews)

1. "hourly paid shift manager"

I worked at Boston Market full-time

Pros

you learn a lot about customer service and gain experience with inventory and other management duties so when u go to a better place, you would have a strong background in management from Boston market. they care about having well trained managers.

Cons

don't value seniority of employees, hardly ever would give a raise and bad insurance plans.

Advice to Management

stop asking so much for so little. to get the quality you promise your customers, u need to pay your employees to do that for you! this corporation is going to go down for cutting labor.

Boston Market Response

Feb 21, 2017 – Field Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Boston Market is committed to creating a positive work environment with opportunities for growth so we’re disappointed to hear about some of your ... More

2. "Horrible experience"

I worked at Boston Market full-time

Pros

If you do not have a vehicle, most of the locations are on a public transportation route.

Cons

Everything not related to convenience of each location.

Boston Market Response

Feb 17, 2017 – Field Recruiting Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working at Boston Market. We welcome all feedback and are committed to earning your compliments and hearing your suggestions. We are sorry to ... More

3. "Cashier/Server"

Former Employee - Cashier/Server in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier/Server in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Boston Market part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Breaks, Flexibility, Free Food When Staying Later

Cons

Staff dont care too much of what you have to say

5. "Back Up"

I have been working at Boston Market full-time

Pros

+ Decent starting pay
    + Friendly employees

Cons

- Inflexible hours including all holidays (except Christmas Day) without holiday pay.
    - Competent employees treated poorly, incompetence and laziness rewarded with better hours, requests for days off being honored, etc.
    - No advancement opportunities from within the company, employees are baited with the promise of promotion to fufill duties above their position while receiving nothing
    - Company policy treats customers nearly as poorly as employees
    - Very poor maintenance on stores and equipment, much of which is barely or completely non-functional
    - Benefits so poor that even an employee meal is only 50% off

Advice to Management

Please pay close attention to the effect that management, from a store's General Manager upward, is having on those individual stores. Competent and motivated employees are leaving rapidly. Many stores are having difficulty maintaining a full staff, and it seems harder still to retain shift supervisors (with almost none being promoted from within the company). Lastly, make an attempt to hold better paid, higher ranking employees to the higher standard that their job position and paycheck entail.

"Opportunity for Advancement"

Current Employee - HSM
    Current Employee - HSM

I have been working at Boston Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you stay long enough you'll get promoted; you can get the management experience you might want on your resume.
    Hours always available.
    Great coworkers.
    Casual environment.
    Healthy food options.
    50% off meals for team members, free meals for management.

Cons

Low pay. I started as a team member at 50 cent more than my area's minimum wage - and didn't get a raise for nearly two years. If you want a raise you will have to fight for it!
    High employment turnover - no one wants to show up, many people quit/stop showing up after a month or two.
    Area managers change something every time they come to my store.
    Too much work expected in each position for a little amount of time. If you are in 2nd shift you are expected to complete a lot of work before you are allowed to leave. 1st shift isn't as bad, but a lot of the time I leave later than scheduled.
    Working on Thanksgiving day is mandatory - if you skip Thanksgiving you will be out of a job. This would be okay if we were getting paid more for the holiday, but you still get paid your regular hourly rate unless you are in overtime.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more for Thanksgiving day.
    Staff more people so there is less work put on one person.

7. "Cashier Associate"

Former Employee - Server in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Server in Yonkers, NY

I worked at Boston Market (Less than a year)

Pros

I was paid on time every week. Except my last week there.

Cons

They were not flexible with my hours. They made me do all the cleaning and treated me poorly.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of students.

8. "Be very careful if you are being offered a job you have no experience with."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I worked at Boston Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If run correctly, a story can be a very fun, energetic place to work at. I was there for about six months in 2010 and still keep in touch with some of the crew members. Managers and Assistant Mangers get free meals.

Cons

Stores are closing left and right We've had at least 3 (or more) in our region shut down since I left. The core concept is played out. You may like you're GM, but anyone above them are usually clueless on the current state of the product and/or how to talk to people as adults. You may get to know one store and be sent to another one which is ran horribly. If you need a job as a crew member, that's fine as you don't get involved in the crap that goes on above that. goes on. I went in asking for a simple delivery job to kill time and suddenly got an offer for an Assistant Manager (I later found out the person got a bigger referral bonus).

Advice to Management

Stop rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

9. "Ok"

Pros

Has flexible scheduling for students

Cons

Lack of concern for their employees

10. "Terrible time!"

Pros

Meal Discount, Decent Benefits, not much else to say honestly

Cons

I applied as a server and managed to work as a server, dishwasher, cashier and etc. It was so much work and they didn't have much respect for me or my schedule. I went to school and they didn't change my schedule and I had worked 5 days a week DESPITE the fact I gave them my schedule. Also manager would talk badly about workers and me in spanish, not knowing that I understand spanish. Very stressful, I had anxiety before hand, but now I can't even step foot into the place.

Advice to Management

Be nicer to you're workers and give workers one specific job, not every other job in the store.

11. "Management"

Pros

Customer base, peer management supportive, values ?????

Cons

Little to no support within store level with staffing or personnel concerns. Two against one scenario when discipline arises. Support tenured management despite facts or concerns. Loyalty, hard work mean little to upper management.

Advice to Management

Listen with open ears, narrow minded stereotypes are not always facts.