Boston Market Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 12, 2017

Boston Market CEO George Michel
George Michel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • autonomy, use of own vehicle, flexible hours, great management (in 23 reviews)

• Good food, good discount, free drinks, worked with school schedule (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't invest in the workforce (in 21 reviews)

• General manager needs to provide better service to customers (in 14 reviews)

1. "Hard, but rewarding work."

I have been working at Boston Market part-time

Pros

I've been at Boston Market since the start of summer break, and I have to admit it is an OK first job. My coworkers are friendly and thanks to the fast service you don't have to deal with the customers as long as a waitressing job. The menu is easy to learn, and cashiering is probably the best assignment to have when you have a moderate amount of people coming in.

>Easy Menu
    >Happy Coworkers
    >Free Drinks and 50% off on food
    >Managers sometimes get chocolate or food to brighten up employees
    >customers are usually friendly and fun to talk to
    >it doesn't take long to be moved up to your assigned position
    >during the downtime between rushes things get easier and everyone is happy
    >Generally easy to scedule off time if family emergencies pop up. Off time is usually given if requested within 2-4 weeks before the schedule is posted
    >assistant managers give great advice
    >one of the best paying jobs for a teen, if you have 4-6 months experience they bump you up to ten dollars an hour

Cons

The bad sides are pretty clear
    >everything from dishwashing to cashier is hard manual labor
    -General Manager loves to tell people how to do their jobs while not doing hers, getting salaried pay so she can leave and the rest of the work is dumped on all of us clocked in.
    -General Manager creates the schedule, always, and ALLWAYS expect to be put on the weekends or during the buisiest days.
    -General Manager thinks learning happens instantaneously, and not through trial and error
    -General Manager seems to hold long term grudges
    -General Manager gives all the crappy hours and jobs like washing dishes to the new employees and the assistant managers get overburdened with the deadweight
    -cashier assigned to WAAAY too many jobs, you literally have to be everywhere at once to finish on schedule. Cashier does serving, bagging, ringing up, food temperatures, sanitation strips, keeping the hotcase clean, bringing dishes to the dishwasher, wiping tables, sweeping the dining room, cleaning and restocking the drink station, refilling the ice, mopping and restocking bathrooms, wiping down the front window, and a few others. You can see how all of this can add up and make for another hour of work off schedule.
    >Dishwasing is manual and strenuous. I lost 7 pounds in my first two weeks working there
    >when it's understaffed things can get chaotic and you can get assigned to even more jobs you aren't supposed to do. Also you get out later.

Advice to Management

+Audit the general managers, make sure they do their job, like adding a clocking system special for the managers
    +Realize that it takes time to learn things.
    +Try to assign peoplewhere you need them. If it's a day that is usually busy, get a server on duty to assist with drive thru and cash
    +distribute side jobs more evenly on busy days so the cashier doesn't have to stay till 10 finishing up after a rush

Sep 15, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We value all of the reviews we receive on Glassdoor as we want to better understand where we are meeting the needs of our employees and where we can continue to improve.

2. "Long hours underpaid"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Boston Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best standards for clean workplace. Consistent expectations. They have many locations throughout the United States. The training program is outstanding.

Cons

Seems that they change the inventory just as bonus are due so you never seem to attain the bonus then a few days later the inventory is correct.

Advice to Management

Pay managers better.

Sep 11, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we’re sorry to hear your experience was mixed. We take all feedback into consideration and are always looking for ways to improve.

"My Experience"

Former Employee - Cashier/Server in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Server in Chicago, IL

I worked at Boston Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow within the company. Learn how to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment.

Cons

The location I worked at had poor management. Employees and managers were often distracted my drama instead of working. Too many managers coming and going. It was hard to work in a restaurant that was poorly managed. Hours and opportunities to be promoted was no longer earned but handed to managers friends.

Advice to Management

Be professional. Set an example for your employees and fellow managers and shift leaders. Step in and help when your employees need help. Don't over work employees.

Sep 11, 2017

4. "Not the worst, not the best"

Former Employee - Catering Driver in Trenton, MI
    Former Employee - Catering Driver in Trenton, MI

I worked at Boston Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part it is easy work: cleaning, prepping, delivering, etc. The management and staff are very friendly and fun to work with.

Cons

Sometimes you will have to do many different roles with little help. Many times the store would not be stocked and the employees would have to drive to many different locations to get food.

Sep 21, 2017

5. "Hourly Shift Manager"

I have been working at Boston Market full-time

Pros

You become so close with your coworkers.

Cons

No sick time, raises are a joke, pay is very minimal for the amount of stuff you are responsible for, barely any vacation time nor bonuses.

Advice to Management

Pay your shift managers better they do more work than GMs and AGMs actually do. Also offer benefits for the ones who are in college like most companies do!

6. "A good starting job"

I have been working at Boston Market part-time

Pros

Discount for food, good co-workers, decent management

Cons

Hard to get more than twenty hours a week (so it's good for high schoolers or college students), the way things get done and locations of items get moved with little notice

Advice to Management

Train an employee in everything they might have to do. A crew member should know how to man the cash register even if that's not their immediate job.

7. "Not the best"

I have been working at Boston Market full-time

Pros

not a 24 hour business

Cons

overly tight on labor budget

8. "Hsm"

Current Employee - HSM in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - HSM in Irving, TX

I have been working at Boston Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good company to work for

Cons

It does not pay well

Jun 28, 2017 – Human Resources Team

We're glad to hear you believe Boston Market is a good company to work for! It's people like you who make Boston Market a great place to work!

9. "Nice environment"

I worked at Boston Market part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Great management

Cons

You have to pay your meals.

Jun 28, 2017 – Human Resources Team

Thank you for your review, we're glad to hear you enjoy the flexible schedule and management at your location!
    Thank you for sharing your feedback and keep up the good work!

10. "Not the best"

Former Employee - Cashier/Server in Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier/Server in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Boston Market full-time

Pros

Discount on one meal per day

Cons

Poor Management, Poor Teamwork, Poor Organizational Skills, Drama

Jun 28, 2017 – Human Resources Team

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of working for Boston Market. We're sorry to hear your experience with not a positive one. We take your feedback into consideration and are always... More