KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Boston Medical Center

Engaged Employer

Boston Medical Center

Add a Review

Boston Medical Center Employee Reviews about "management"

Updated Sep 22, 2022

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and environmentally sound(in 85 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and pay as well as mission(in 30 reviews)
  • "Great people and very diverse(in 28 reviews)
  • "Free health insurance (IF you live in Boston and can stay within BMC afflilated care facilities)(in 20 reviews)
  • "The staff were great but at the same time depending on where you are there isnt too much talk about equity which always bothered me(in 18 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Boston Medical Center and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee

Good pay and healthcare

Apr 23, 2022 - Certified Applications Counselor in Roxbury, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Healthcare is free.

Cons

Management doesn’t offer a lot of support and if they don’t like you they will make sure your job is difficult.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

ASR II

Aug 11, 2017 - ASR II in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free medical insurance and accessible locations.

Cons

Working at Boston Medical was not one of my favorite work experiences. I constantly felt micromanage and I address that issue with the union and never did anything to address the issue with management. There isn't a culture overall at the hospital and most clinics are always busy, which is great! but when you depend on management to complete your work is a disaster and you leave work stress and overworked. I constantly saw my coworkers stress levels very high and managementlevels very high and managementlevels very high and management did nothing about it. Also, we always were very short staff because people will quit within months leaving everyone with more extra work and constant covering. Management once told us that we needed to get out of minds that we were short staff and that we could do it all. Another thing that disappointed me was that management expected perfection and zero room for mistake, but never did properly train us because they never seemed to have time. If you were doing mistakes management will never let you know but instead will arrange meeting with the union to put pressure and give you warnings about losing your job. There are many more other things about BMC that were beyond disappointment. During my one year of employment at BMC I saw about seven people quit our clinic and I also had to quit because the stress was getting to much.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Current Employee

working at Boston Medical Center

Sep 18, 2010 - Registered Nurse in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

my peers are wonderful to work with, my immediate boss is fair.

Cons

The Union, they don't support the membership. They are not aware of upcoming management decisions that involved the laying off of a large number of nurses and ancelery staff. The health care bill is taking it's toll on healthcare in Mass and BMC is no exception.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good experience and great opportunities

Jan 30, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had a good experience as a Residency Coordinator. It was a fast paced position where I worked with some great physicians and was involved with the management of the program. BMC had an array of resources, opportunity to grow professional, and benefits

Cons

Some staff have been there for many years and may not be open to a changing culture.

5. 3.0
    Former Employee

Good hospital, but depends on department

Jun 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Worked per diem so I was able to pick up shifts when I wanted to with no problem.

Cons

Management was very unorganized and on many occasions unable to solve issues in the department.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Yawkey Pharmacy worst pharmacy to work at out of the three pharmacies

Oct 29, 2018 - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

Customers and you coworkers recognize and acknowledge your hard work even though management doesn’t.

Cons

No growth for black minorities within this pharmacy. No growth for those not sucking up to current management. Work flow could be a lot smoother if the scheduling was done better. Management seems to have no care to improve their work flow due to suggestions and ideas are not fairly welcomed from Techs and Pharmacists. Once you express a concern you become a target.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Rudderless Sr Management

Oct 30, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You are making a difference here. I love working with many of my co-workers. Despite complaints to the contrary, benefits are competitive with other major employers in the city.

Cons

There is a large amount of disconnect or lack of empathy between senior management and rank-and-file staff. Employees have been asked to do more with far fewer resources over time. Changes are made unilaterally in the name of cost savings, at the cost of quality patient care. HR moves slowly, even by the standards of most major employers, and there is little to no support for those seeking advancement.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

great debt - no leadership

Nov 13, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful hard working medical staff Generally respected employer Plenty of possibilities for growth (at least on paper) Academic feel for some BMC positions There will be a SubWay (sandwiches) soon!

Cons

Major financial debts may be too much for BMC to handle Major (long time) senior executives have departed Far too many 'managers' Very little Attending (physician) executive leadership and ineffective outside MDs as Vice Presidents Confusion persists about basic day to day operations - 'Surges' result that exhaust staff Horrible IT management and systems Very entrenched Union mentality (especially SEIU) in HR's operations BMC conflicts with Boston University too common - need to work together Physical Plant Infrastructure is in poor shape due to excessive square footage of real estate Turnover high lately and moral not very high overall compared to other local medical centers

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

nursing

Oct 5, 2020 - Registered Nurse in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management is very fair and collaborative

Cons

the neighborhood is dangerous and gets worse every year

Viewing 1 - 10 of 112 Reviews