Boston Private Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Clayton G. Deutsch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Our superiors care about us, and we always have opportunity for growth (in 2 reviews)

• Not very stressful and good opportunity to learn and pick up new skills (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • No concern for low level and middle management employees (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management is incredibly stale (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good culture"

Pros

Culture is good, never had a layoff. Very solid residential lending business. Willing to promote outside of department you were hired for

Cons

Departments are completely unsupported by IT, would rather hire people to “see and key” than leverage technology. Senior leadership disconnected from reality in lower tiers

2. "Boston Private"

Current Employee - Vice President Office Manager in Brookline, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President Office Manager in Brookline, MA

I have been working at Boston Private full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best company I have ever worked for. I am going on my 10th year with Boston Private and have never felt more valued as an employee.

Cons

I have nothing at this time.

3. "Genuinely the nicest people I've worked with!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Private full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment, focused on doing the right thing, care A LOT about providing extraordinary advice, solutions and service to clients. And honestly, the nicest people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Some employees are here for so long that the can get stuck in their old ways, has historically been less innovative but that is changing now.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your "star" employees to lead the way on improving processes and approaches to how we can continue to be the most relevant to today's wealth creators.

4. "Marketing Intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Private (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely hands-on work. What you does really matter, whether that be client facing communications or through board presentations.

Cons

Online security is something Boston Private takes very seriously - TOO seriously. There are some activities that you will want to do where the information is unattainable, or the action would "create potential breaches" in the company's digital mainframe. Causes you to have to tiptoe around that and find your own loopholes.

Nov 3, 2017 – HR Officer

Boston Private takes the protection of its information assets very seriously. However, while we work equally hard to ensure that all employees have the ability to access all information assets... More

5. "Organization in Transition"

Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Private full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid long term outlook. CEO has incredible vision. People are amazing and always go above and beyond. Huge investment in tech is underway. Clearly seem to be headed for an org shift as it becomes more apparent that certain functions need to consolidate to ensure consistency.

Cons

Senior management is incredibly stale. Most are late stage career and clearly wish it were 1985 again. Physical space in main office is dated (circa 1985...hmmm) and needs complete overhaul to foster more collaboration. Very little direction provided from top beyond overall strategy. Left to siloed business areas to implement process, which fractures the client experience. HR needs more of a leadership role in shaping culture, but has very little authority to do so.

Advice to Management

Break the silos and find a way to organize around client needs. Need single relationship manager for clients who is not compensated in a single business area. Run front office relationship management on a market level, but back office should all be run centrally. Need a CRO who has authority over entire sales team. Too disjointed right now.

Jul 20, 2017 – HR Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. As you noted, we are investing in our technology and have several initiatives underway to improve both our client and employee experience. We believe... More

6. "Banking"

I have been working at Boston Private full-time

Pros

Fantastic place to work. Emphasis on Client satisfaction.

Cons

Compensation could be better.
    Lack of real Diversity in upper management.

Advice to Management

Review compensation aggressively to retain talent.

7. "Loan assistant"

I worked at Boston Private full-time

Pros

Great company, treats employees very well

Cons

Lack of follow through

8. "You get what you give. It really depends on your manager and your networking skills."

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Private full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and certain managers are great and want to propel you in your career (some will just be your manager). Overall, it is a nice company.

Cons

The recent acquisitions and restructuring created a lot of havoc among culture and employees/ departments.

The RDP (Rotational Development Program) is designed for incoming "elite" graduates that have priority in jobs and are given extra special attention to, leaving hard working and loyal employees in the corner.

Advice to Management

Keep it fair. Never forget that a company's foundation and ability to develop relies on the employees believing in the company and just a select few.

Strengthen the culture and don't play favorites.

9. "Mortgage Department"

I worked at Boston Private full-time

Pros

Salary and benefits are great.

Cons

Management is sub-par. They are in need of training.

Advice to Management

Need intensive training in managing staff

Jun 7, 2017 – HR Officer

Thank you for taking a moment to leave your thoughts regarding Boston Private. We take employee feedback to heart and are working tirelessly to ensure our company culture matches our company values... More

10. "Vice President"

I have been working at Boston Private full-time

Pros

People are generally nice to work with. Office building and environment is very nice. I know what I'm doing and am now on autopilot. Technology is improving slowly but surely. Company holds red sox opening celebrations and pizza get togethers which help team building and engagement. Groups such as Early Career Professionals and Women's Connection help employees get to know other and network.

Cons

Lot of change currently with many long tenured employees leaving. No opportunity for career growth as there are limited job openings at the top or very specific skills/experience are needed which you can't get at BP.

Advice to Management

Focus on the people, they are what keeps the company going. Strategic goals are important but not at the cost of employees.