Boston Private Reviews | Glassdoor

Boston Private Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2019

3.7
Boston Private CEO Anthony DeChellis (no image)
Anthony DeChellis
Pros
  • "Very knowledgable employees; nice work-life balance; potential to be a nationally recognized bank(in 7 reviews)

• "People are great and easy to work with(in 7 reviews)

1. "Digital S"

Former Employee - Digital Strategy and Architecture Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Private full-time for less than a year

Pros

It has a loving atmosphere and you have full flexibility to work you want to work. Outstanding work-life balance. It is nothing but a thriving field for you to grow.

Cons

Don't have much but as a co-op, I wanted more attention to my work to know if any improvement is required. I found there is virtually no cons.

Advice to Management

Good job. Keep going on

Boston Private2018-12-06
  2. "New leadership ruined the special culture."

Former Employee - Senior Vice President

I worked at Boston Private full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice colleagues, commitment to client service.

Cons

New leadership bringing a New York mentality to a classic Boston firm and destroying the culture.

Boston Private2019-07-09
  3. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Private full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits. Nice managers. Great hours. Competitive Pay.

Cons

Very quiet and slow day. Could get boring. No part time positions available.

Advice to Management

Open up these positions to encourage professional mothers who want to return to work.

Boston Private2019-06-07
  4. "Make Connections"

Former Employee - Deposit Operations in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Private part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, appreciation events (twice a yr)

Cons

Manager could be more of a mentor and less a boss

Boston Private2019-05-16
  5. "Ok company, great employees"

I worked at Boston Private full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The salary is great. Coworkers were great.

Cons

Work life balance was weak.

Boston Private2019-04-30
  6. "Execution is Key"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Private full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people are very nice Good office locations Opportunities to learn a lot (a lot!) A lot of potential to be an exceptional place

Cons

If you’re good at your job, you’ll have to do other people’s jobs too. It’s so overwhelming. I am hourly and need to check my email after work and on weekends just to keep up. People email me and text me looking for responses, and emails can become a full time job if you’re not on top of them. Most new responsibilities I have taken on were because of a change in our group or some other temporary factor.... I’m happy to help pick up the slack, but I need some relief! The period of “we just need to get through this restructuring period” or “we’re trying to fill these reqs” or “letting the dust settle with the new leader”, “figuring things out,” “the layoffs”, etc. has been my entire time at Boston Private. There is a difference between rolling with the punches and being expected to tolerate chaos. It’s like playing hot potato with responsibilities, between other groups and most disappointingly, your own group. Sometimes we’re passing the potato around, sometimes people are throwing up their hands saying not my potato. We can’t seem to even discuss transitioning the handoff of the potato in a fair and orderly fashion, even if it was the person/group’s potato to begin with. If you feel a need not to let things drop, soon enough you’re juggling a hell of a lot of potatoes. The worst part is realizing that a lot of the potatoes you have aren’t part of your actual job and you’re so busy (or people think you’re too busy with “your work” aka inherited junk) that you can’t accept the projects that are actually stimulating and will help you move forward in your career. Benefits are average compared to other high end banks and wealth management companies Bunching vacation and sick time is unhealthy and makes for cranky coworkers, just the minimum 5 days of paid sick time being a separate pot would be a great gesture to employees and would increase productivity overall. Feeling that you can stay at home when you’re sick and not be judged for it is good for morale, and happier people will work harder and stay longer. Yes some may abuse sick time but there is already a lot of timesheet abuse, and those that do abuse time probably have other issues they should be corrected... An oddly top heavy structure, and a lot of the many managers don’t know how to manage (people or work). Managers need to be instructed on what is expected of them as a manager, and then given the tools, time and coaching to do their jobs right! Managers spend a lot of time navigating the inner workings of a group while requesting simple things, like getting access to something for their employee, or asking HR a question or for help on routine things. Managers need to be taught how to be managers and how to be managers in our company, they can’t just be thrown into the deep end! The technology experience is terribly outdated, it takes a long time to navigate between web pages and to open or save documents. You can’t do too much at a time without your computer freezing. Email, an Excel document, a Word document and several IE tabs at one time? Forget about it

Advice to Management

At the last town hall, we were told to question things. Why do we do things a certain way, why is this needed, and that’s great advice! The problem is that many of us have been doing this for a long time and have only received push back, or more frustratingly, get the approval and started work on projects...only to have them moved around to various “owners” who never deliver or are put on hold to never be spoken... about again. Leadership has been like squirrels jumping around from shiny trend to shiny trend, or crisis of the week, with no real change as a result of lots of work being put in to satisfy someone for some presentation or CYA in the moment. Doing something just enough to check off a box isn’t going to help anyone. We either make bandaid fixes or someone somehow weasels out of responsibility for executing change. We need to get to the root of our problems or we will continue to waste time and money running around on hamster wheels, wasting each other’s time just to satisfy some immediate need (an audit finding, a presentation for the board, someone important being upset about a problem and in reaction we go through the motions to appear to be working to fix it). Leadership and managers need to be told that they need to deliver. It’s time to set expectations for change and follow up on them. Accept minimal excuses. If technology is a problem, tell the manager to get IT involved. If there is a people problem, tell the manager to get HR involved. Instruct to escalate issues if needed. Don’t let leaders and managers give you a cop out and avoid producing and demonstrating results (sustainable, well thought out, helpful, meaningful results). Implement skip level meetings to find out who is really delivering and reward and develop those people. Get into the weeds and see what things really look like in all areas of the business (implement a secret shopper type program where employee who is trusted requests certain things, so people don’t fall over themselves to “deliver” and impress an important person. What does a real client (internal or external) actually experience when asking for this or that. The CEO’s speech at the town hall was reinvigorating, and just what this company needed. Show us you mean business by demanding results, no excuses. There are only opportunities ahead.

Boston Private2019-04-16

Boston Private Response

April 29, 2019HR

Thank you for your post. Our employees are what make Boston Private a great place to work so we value your feedback and partnership in creating a positive working experience for all. Boston Private is committed to providing an engaging work place with efficient and effective policies and procedures. This includes offering a competitive benefits package that is reviewed annually against industry standards. We strive to keep our employee benefit cost sharing low while providing comprehensive benefit offerings. In addition, our Paid Time Off program provides flexibility that allows employees to use time off to best fit their personal needs. If you have concerns or questions about any policies, including those related to non-exempt employees, we encourage you to connect with Human Resources. HR is available via email, phone, or in person at our offices in Boston and Los Angeles. As you noted, our new CEO, along with his leadership team, have communicated the vision for the organization and it is already starting to take shape. We are excited for the future at Boston Private. We look forward to the opportunities that the growth of our organization will realize for both our clients and our employees.

7. "culture"

Current Employee - Credit Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Private full-time for more than a year

Pros

good place to work, nice people

Cons

salary is lower than other banks

Boston Private2019-03-24
  8. "Best place to work"

Former Employee - Commercial Loan Assistant II in Encino, CA

I worked at Boston Private full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This bank is good to work

Cons

in my position, I didn't see any downside

Boston Private2019-01-30
  9. "The glass is half full"

I have been working at Boston Private full-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere at BP is both intense and relaxed. In my experience most people are driven to both have themselves and the company succeed while also helping thier coworkers. It's a great place to work.

Cons

I will let you know if one comes up.

Advice to Management

Your doing a great job.

Boston Private2018-11-10
  10. "Layoffs overblown, taking charge of destiny"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dedham, MA

I have been working at Boston Private full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company has a ton of upside. Great markets, great value proposition and excellent people. The recent layoff is completely misinterpreted - this cut a lot of dead weight and underperforming staff that was long overdue. Technology roadmap is sound (though needs to deliver), and remaining people are top notch. Lot of opportunity for junior staff to rise to the occasion.

Cons

While vision is sound, it’s not well articulated. The plan to get there is just as foggy. Individual teams are better aligned, but still aren’t marching in lock step. So close... just get it on paper for crying out loud.

Advice to Management

Need to listen to market (client/prospect) signals better through front line staff. Figure out how to equip sales with what they need to be competitive. Must force a more disciplined focus on product strategy and development while aligning it with sales and marketing. For God’s sake, get a head of sales who can unify it all (process, method, training, reporting, comp). Silos will be silos until you unify them -... stop being amateurs and find professionals.

Boston Private2018-10-26