Boston University Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Boston University President and Trustee Robert A. Brown
Robert A. Brown

Pros
  • Great work life balance, you will never be obligated to answer an email after hours and your personal life is treated with respect by management (in 42 reviews)

• Tuition Remission is a huge bonus (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • no room for growth and can sometimes feel unheard (in 9 reviews)

• Low salary considering responsibilities of the job but they can get away with it because they offer tuition remission (in 16 reviews)

"Zero incentive to take initiative, bad employees stay forever"

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved my direct colleagues and the broader group of people I worked with, many benefits are top notch especially vacation time. Working with the students very fulfilling and rewarding. Tuition remission huge plus and honestly the way they attract most talent.

Cons

Very little room for growth in student services, low pay, huge salary discrepancies between units as well as between student service staff and admins (the latter making much more than the former). No incentive to do well - professional development viewed as an annoyance by management and taking initiative isn't rewarded. HR is unhelpful and inefficient. Also was discouraged by the worst employees getting the same raises as the best, creating environment of mediocrity. All in all, only a long term place to stay if you want to punch in and punch out. No staff maternity leave means lots of women leave, often the best.

Advice to Management

Fix HR, pay student services equally to Admin and look at discrepancies across units, incentivize initiative and professional development. Fire the bad people already - I don't know why the institution is so averse to letting people go but it's a huge root problem among the staff.

2. "An institution a victim of its size and lack of leadership"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the tangible benefits are unmatched - great perks, including 100% tuition remission on undergraduate courses and 90% of graduate courses (but taxed). There are a lot of people who care very deeply about social issues and working at a globally recognized research institution will give you access to some of the brightest minds in the world. But I worked on the administrative side, not academic.

Cons

Where to start.
    - President is cold and unwelcoming. I introduced myself once to him in a dining hall and it was very clear to him that I was being an inconvenience. Rude and disrespectful.
    - Out of touch senior administration. The people who make the decisions don't spend time with students, so there is a lot of discontent among students.
    - Politics. Oh, the politics. It's expected anywhere, but at BU, it felt like I was playing a game where only certain people knew the rules.
    - Blatant nepotism. People get hired and promoted based on their families' contributions to the school (financial or otherwise), even if they don't have the credentials.
    - No clarity of work expectations. This is tied to politics. Because management does not make it clear to people what it means to be a good employee, people who are liked by their supervisors move up. The sheer lack of any sense of objectivity really bothered me.

Advice to Management

The one major problem that can be fixed is with a structured management training program. People become managers through politics and sucking up, so the school tends to hire among its own fans. There's little room for disagreement or even discussion. Annual performance evaluations mean nothing. They need to modernize their HR department and people operations.

3. "Postdoctoral associate. Full-time"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good seminars and journal clubs. Ambitious research climate and good funding.

Cons

My supervisor was rude and micro-managing me to a large degree.

Advice to Management

Larger mandated postdoctoral influence over research projects.

5. "Media Specialist"

Current Employee - Expert Level Technician in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Expert Level Technician in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, Great Professors and students.

Cons

No life work balance for salary employees. Management is horrible for this department.

Advice to Management

Specialize in the department you manage.

6. "dining services at warren"

Former Employee - Student Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Student Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

meet lots of new people who live in the same place as you; good starting rate for hourly job

Cons

management super messy, extremely unprofessional; they went out to get drinks with student workers, showed up to student parties, and even dated students

Advice to Management

stop being unprofessional. you are the boss; act like it.

7. "Questrom Not"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Clean building; up to date technology; good work hours; good work can be done when management gets out of the way

Cons

Leadership is non-responsive. Favoritism, chauvinistic; total lack of trust and communication. Those in the know are very secretive and proud of it. Terrible management.. Other business schools scoff at Questrom.

Advice to Management

President Brown - clean house at Questrom

"Getting Worse"

Current Employee - Advisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Advisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Students are great, some coworkers can be a lot of fun.

Cons

The WORST pay in the industry...at least I can't imagine anyone going lower. Horrible management in my current position...I've never experienced such a level of micro-management or lack of trust in any other facet of my career, including in my previous position at BU. HR is clueless and messed with my pay for the first 4-5 months on the job, I can't take advantage of the education "benefit" because there are still fees to pay and taxes added on, so I'd essentially be living at the poverty level if I tried. Everything moves exceptionally slowly, making changes requires 3-4 middle men approving things that have nothing to do with them, all the while our poor students are waiting on answers that could ultimately have a very strong influence on their academic career and/or financial circumstances.

Advice to Management

Get it together. If I hear the term "case by case basis" one more time I'm going to scream-that isn't fair to the students whose case you or the other person didn't review so they didn't benefit the same way as another. It's excruciating to continue to hear this...put regulations in place and STICK TO THEM! Also, if I hear one more time that "we've always done it this way and have never had a huge problem" I'm going to scream. What an out-dated and progress-impairing way to think...improving processes shouldn't just be a back-burner thought "if you find the time" it should be a priority so that in the future you will be able to HAVE more time to devote to the students. It's making me sick. Also, learn to trust your employees and give just the slightest hint of autonomy if you want to retain any talent. Otherwise, continue to enjoy this rate of turnover and constant training that you're having right now.

9. "Avoid Development and Alumni Relations at BU"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, people are nice and helpful, vacation time is good if you are salaried.

Cons

Misogynistic leadership, forget about professional advancement unless you are an old white man, they don't care about alumni, they only care about the bottom line: money. They don't cater to donors, they only do what they like, not what the donors like.

Advice to Management

Respect females in the workplace, perhaps consider giving people promotions and/or raises for their obscenely hard work.

10. "Postdoctoral"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge research happening at the medical school.

Cons

Unprofessionalism of principal investigators all around.

Advice to Management

They should teach each one of the principal investigator how to treat other human being with respect.

"IT Organization is a low energy and overworked environment"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits at a University such as BU are great. Many vacation and sick days, and for full-time permanent employees, the tuition reimbursement can't be beat. Unfortunately, these perks are also why so many hang on even when the job isn't the best fit or they're unhappy.

Cons

Majority of peers in the IT environment are overworked, overwhelmed and burnt out. It is not a highly engaged workplace and the culture is one that is low energy and depressing. Staff are not valued as highly as they should be. There are often not enough resources to do the work and management expects too much. Many employees have a self protective attitude or "cya" as they fear failure and management.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract top IT talent, then you need to rethink how you perceive, treat and value the entire IT organization and its many talented employees. They make incredible contributions to the University. Managers need to have more conversations that encourage, motivate and support employees. Provide onboarding, coaching and mentoring within the organization for PM's and analysts. Provide career paths and opportunities.