Boston Web Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Steve Nash

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Job, Great People"

Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Web Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a ton, super fun environment. They have a wide range and diverse client base that is fun and challenging to work on, and when you do well you get rewarded. Lots of work, but reasonable and a good team environment that helps out when needed. Awesome office location and free snacks!

Cons

Commuting in was sometimes tough, train delays made some mornings frustrating to get in. Company events and parties had pizza and traditional food, not vegan friendly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, maybe offer some vegan-friendly snacks!

2. "SEO Specialist"

I worked at Boston Web Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

company training, lunch with staff, support from upper management

Cons

company is growing, believe upper management can do better with distribution of accounts, do no give too many to one employee that's how we burn out

Advice to Management

do no give too many to one employee that's how we burn out, listen to your employees when having issues with time, a standard amount of accounts should be given

3. "DO NOT WORK HERE!"

Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - SEO Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Web Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers who care for each other.

Cons

Overwork their employees and don't take the time to make sure they're doing well.

4. "Great Entry Level Job!"

I worked at Boston Web Marketing full-time

Pros

You meet amazing co-workers and learn the basics of SEO, SEM, Website creation, and Account Management. Also, they have a lax and inviting culture. In the north end so food options are great and close by the T.

Cons

Whole management needs organization, upper management plays favorites get those who aren't gets no acknowledgement of their work, frat like culture and crass at times, not enough diversity, overworked with little pay, little opportunities for growth, work in a basement with no windows, really disrespectful to employees at times and get burnt out quick. Turnovers are also very high here.

Advice to Management

Need better upper management and re-organization.

5. "CSR"

Former Employee - SEO Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - SEO Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Web Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company hired me from another industry and trained me to be an SEO representative. The skills I learned built up my resume and helped me land my dream job elsewhere. There were good benefits, everyone was really nice, and a very pleasant experience. The environment is casual and I found management to be extremely accessible.

Cons

There is definitely a lot work, if you are looking to have a low work environment, this is not it. While management is accessible, they have a lot going on and sometimes you need to ask 2 different managers to help you before you receive what you need.

Advice to Management

It seems like you have listened to feedback, continue to do so!

6. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Web Marketing full-time

Pros

I love working here. I've worked at other tech companies, and this one has been the best. Lots of opportunity for growth because of the fluid learning environment. The office is amazing, lots of pizza parties, company outings, and a cool yacht cruise in the summer.

Cons

One of the sales guys and I didn't get along to well but he's gone now

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I really like the work from home day. You seem to listen to us whenever we had suggestions. Very interesting and large client base that keep things lively!

"Don't Waste Your Time Here"

I worked at Boston Web Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really loved my coworkers. Everyone was so fun outside of work, but indoors everyone was miserable and stressed. You definitely learn a lot fast, but you almost always end up overwhelmed. The north end also has great food.

Cons

- Overwhelming workload (Most Account Managers end up with 20-25 Clients, AdWords Clients, and Website Builds)
    - Management knows every employee is in the weeds, yet does nothing to support or ease the work
    -Sales picks up the smallest clients, which end up being not the best and difficult to work with (A few instances of clients being rude to employees happened while I was there)
    - False promises of growth - Every upper level employee always just tells you what you want to hear in terms of promotions, they tell you you can move accounts but the turnover rate is so high, that you never can
    - reviews are fake - the CEO and Management know how unhappy everyone is, (I saw 8 employees quit in a 6 month period) and they do nothing about it. They try to cram in all these stupid perks and days off but none of it addresses the real issue.
    - Looking through your company laptop and chat history is invasive
    - You're expected to produce so much content, that most of it isn't good and you're just trying to hit the requirements
    - The Account Managers are underpaid for the amount of work they do

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback when they resign and actually do something about it.
    Control the CEO who is rude, and unprofessional (talks badly about former employees)
    Stop wasting your employees time with small, low budget accounts and make the account max 10 accounts

"Unorganized Management + Terrible Work Structure= High Turnover rate (Clients + Employees)"

I worked at Boston Web Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job gives you a chance to learn SEO and Online marketing, but it's more like drinking from a firehose when it comes to learning useful and applicable skills.The Northend has plenty of great places to eat.

Cons

While it is true that no agency is run perfectly, most agencies recognize the difference between good and bad clients, this is not the case with BWM. BWM will take in almost any client regardless of their actually need or understanding of Online marketing.

While there is some training provided, a lot is learned on the job, which can cause issues when trying to balance blog writing, web developing, client reporting and the constant banter from the CEO to "DO MORE WORK"

Advice to anyone applying: Know what you want to get from this job, and then GTFO

Can't confirm the practice of the fake good reviews, but I wouldn't put it pass the CEO to do something like that. And says something

Advice to Management

You can Google "How to run a Marketing Agency" and I'm sure you'll find a few good articles and blog post.

"NOT a fake review!"

I worked at Boston Web Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would like to state I am a FORMER employee of this company. I left on good terms and I was not paid to write ANYTHING. I am doing this on my own free will.

Good group of employees and the President is genuinely nice. I came from a stuffy "suit and tie" business so the dress code and relaxed environment were perks

Cons

SOMETIMES you can get a larger plate of clients but with constant hiring and changing client base, you can bring your "plate" down.

Advice to Management

To retain employees, try higher pay and better benefits. Also the 1099 period makes it tough to find quality employees.

"The good reviews are definitely fake"

I have been working at Boston Web Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its in the north end so there are plenty of good options for lunch. Sometimes the owner buys beer for everyone on Fridays.

Cons

First of all - these five star reviews are DEFINITELY FAKE! We had to write them at the demand of the owner who let us off early for doing it.

The two owners are a complete joke - they would rather give away free SEO services for discounts on TVs then invest money in building a quality company and take care of their employees. They provide little training for their reps who have no experience and then overload them with clients. I'd say half the clients are getting terrible service and are just getting swindled out of their hard earned money. They dont set their employees up for success and then when they lose clients as a result they completely blame the reps and will legit yell at them in front of everyone. Not a good place to work at all. Oh and they pay new hires pennies.

Advice to Management

Try harder.