Boston Web Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Web Marketing full-time

Pros

I love working here. I've worked at other tech companies, and this one has been the best. Lots of opportunity for growth because of the fluid learning environment. The office is amazing, lots of pizza parties, company outings, and a cool yacht cruise in the summer.

Cons

One of the sales guys and I didn't get along to well but he's gone now

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I really like the work from home day. You seem to listen to us whenever we had suggestions. Very interesting and large client base that keep things lively!

"Don't Waste Your Time Here"

I worked at Boston Web Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really loved my coworkers. Everyone was so fun outside of work, but indoors everyone was miserable and stressed. You definitely learn a lot fast, but you almost always end up overwhelmed. The north end also has great food.

Cons

- Overwhelming workload (Most Account Managers end up with 20-25 Clients, AdWords Clients, and Website Builds)
    - Management knows every employee is in the weeds, yet does nothing to support or ease the work
    -Sales picks up the smallest clients, which end up being not the best and difficult to work with (A few instances of clients being rude to employees happened while I was there)
    - False promises of growth - Every upper level employee always just tells you what you want to hear in terms of promotions, they tell you you can move accounts but the turnover rate is so high, that you never can
    - reviews are fake - the CEO and Management know how unhappy everyone is, (I saw 8 employees quit in a 6 month period) and they do nothing about it. They try to cram in all these stupid perks and days off but none of it addresses the real issue.
    - Looking through your company laptop and chat history is invasive
    - You're expected to produce so much content, that most of it isn't good and you're just trying to hit the requirements
    - The Account Managers are underpaid for the amount of work they do

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback when they resign and actually do something about it.
    Control the CEO who is rude, and unprofessional (talks badly about former employees)
    Stop wasting your employees time with small, low budget accounts and make the account max 10 accounts

"Unorganized Management + Terrible Work Structure= High Turnover rate (Clients + Employees)"

I worked at Boston Web Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job gives you a chance to learn SEO and Online marketing, but it's more like drinking from a firehose when it comes to learning useful and applicable skills.The Northend has plenty of great places to eat.

Cons

While it is true that no agency is run perfectly, most agencies recognize the difference between good and bad clients, this is not the case with BWM. BWM will take in almost any client regardless of their actually need or understanding of Online marketing.

While there is some training provided, a lot is learned on the job, which can cause issues when trying to balance blog writing, web developing, client reporting and the constant banter from the CEO to "DO MORE WORK"

Advice to anyone applying: Know what you want to get from this job, and then GTFO

Can't confirm the practice of the fake good reviews, but I wouldn't put it pass the CEO to do something like that. And says something

Advice to Management

You can Google "How to run a Marketing Agency" and I'm sure you'll find a few good articles and blog post.

"NOT a fake review!"

Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - SEO Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Web Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would like to state I am a FORMER employee of this company. I left on good terms and I was not paid to write ANYTHING. I am doing this on my own free will.

Good group of employees and the President is genuinely nice. I came from a stuffy "suit and tie" business so the dress code and relaxed environment were perks

Cons

SOMETIMES you can get a larger plate of clients but with constant hiring and changing client base, you can bring your "plate" down.

Advice to Management

To retain employees, try higher pay and better benefits. Also the 1099 period makes it tough to find quality employees.

"The good reviews are definitely fake"

I have been working at Boston Web Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its in the north end so there are plenty of good options for lunch. Sometimes the owner buys beer for everyone on Fridays.

Cons

First of all - these five star reviews are DEFINITELY FAKE! We had to write them at the demand of the owner who let us off early for doing it.

The two owners are a complete joke - they would rather give away free SEO services for discounts on TVs then invest money in building a quality company and take care of their employees. They provide little training for their reps who have no experience and then overload them with clients. I'd say half the clients are getting terrible service and are just getting swindled out of their hard earned money. They dont set their employees up for success and then when they lose clients as a result they completely blame the reps and will legit yell at them in front of everyone. Not a good place to work at all. Oh and they pay new hires pennies.

Advice to Management

Try harder.

"Unethical, unprofessional, just no."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Boston Web Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO buys mikes pastrys a lot.....

Cons

No one is happy here. I liked the people outside of work but 9-5 everyone is miserable. Also the CEO gives free seo service for discounts on clients services. His own family left the company LOL what a joke

Advice to Management

Expand your team, people who hate blogging...don't make them blog because the aren't good at it.

"Current Employee Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Boston Web Marketing full-time

Pros

Along with the managers, coworkers are always willing to lend a helping hand when needed. There are always opportunities to learn more on all different aspects of the SEO & web design process.

Cons

The workload can be overwhelming at times, but if you speak up, you get the assistance you need.

"Learned A LOT!"

Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

BWM offers a great training program so you can feel confident when you begin working with clients. The management is very patient and everyone (including co-workers) are ready to answer any questions. The amount of work I learned here is UNBELIEVABLE.

The best part about BWM is that they trust you to do your own work. No one micro-manages you and they're great at pushing you to the best of your abilities. Because they trust me to do my job, which seems to be rare these days with other companies, it makes me want to work harder. Not to mention, they always reward you for working hard.

Cons

Sometimes the workload is stressful especially if you do not have much experience. However, management is excellent at helping and will sit down with you whenever you need them.

"Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

This isn't your typical 'Office Space-Like' job. We are constantly evolving, learning new algorithms and meeting great people to work with both internally and externally! Co-workers and management really look out for each other by making sure well all get the help we need, when we need it.

Cons

Sometimes it can get a little stressful with the workload amount - but that's a given with every company you come across. This job definitely teaches you time management and if you manage your time wisely, you shouldn't have an issue!

"If You Want to Become a Online Marketing/ SEO Professional FAST..."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Boston Web Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great training program that continues well after orientation
    -Quickly learn about coding, content & online marketing, social media, SEO & more
    -Great bonus & incentive programs
    -Great benefits & compensation
    -Positive, fun, & collaborative work environment
    -Beautiful location on the Waterfront in the North End ("Little Italy") near Mike's Pastry, Fanueil Hall, Downtown Crossing

Overall this is a great place to work because management puts a lot of focus on making sure employees learn. You don't just learn how to do the work but WHY it is important. My co-workers and mangers are always available to offer support and training on everything from marketing to tech to time management. I've learned so much about the industry in such a short time and am now a confident marketing professional thanks to working here.

Cons

There's nothing really bad I can say about Boston Web Marketing. Sometimes the workload can be stressful - as is the case with any account management job - but I don't really see that as a bad thing. There's no hand holding in terms of your work here, but that's the very thing that's helped me grow as a business professional and learn so quickly :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job!