Bottle Rocket Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Calvin Carter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Unlimited vacation and they are very flexible for vacation requests" (in 8 reviews)

• "Great work environment, cool office vibe, smart people, encouraging colleagues, problem solvers" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Benefits are ok, but get better every year" (in 2 reviews)

• "Take what you can from this place, and then find a real company with a solid business model" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Dream Job"

Current Employee - Strategist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Strategist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bottle Rocket full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where to begin? The culture is great, the people are great, the projects we get to work on are challenging and engaging. I couldn't ask for a better place to work. No one keeping tabs on where you are, what you're doing, when you get in, or leave. Flex vacation with no top down approval needed. White boards walls... everywhere. Super intelligent people driving you to be your best and visa versa. True passion and love from the CEO.

Cons

Reimbursement for work travel expenses is... really really really awful. Multiple steps. Multiple rejections and resubmissions. Can take several weeks to a month or more to get reimbursed. Definitely didn't factor that into budgeting my life. All that to say, not every project has to travel often. And! Still getting 5 stars overall in my book.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"This is not the place I once loved working at"

I have been working at Bottle Rocket full-time

Pros

-Great place to grow your career
    -Smart and wonderful coworkers
    -Schedule flexibility
    -Unlimited vacation
    -Fun work events
    -Focus Fridays

Cons

-Unpaid training
    -Poor raises
    -No holiday bonus in years
    -Not everyone in the company gets to enjoy the so-called "culture" benefits
    -Benefits are ok, but get better every year
    -Management is not as transparent as they were in previous years
    -Sketchy layoffs have been happening in secret
    -Leadership is out to save their own skin
    -Veteran Rocketeers who have not been laid off are leaving
    -Morale has fallen and those who still care are scraping at nothing trying to save it
    -Respect there used to be for employees is dwindling

Advice to Management

Leadership has a habit of only trusting a select group of people's insight while making big decisions. Instead, listen to your loyal employees. They're good sources of truth. Stop stepping on them and start relying on them.

3. "Good company!"

I have been working at Bottle Rocket full-time

Pros

Company culture, unlimited vacation if you can cut them into fewer weeks, working on latest technology, best for entry level engineers.

Cons

Little stressful as we work on cutting edge technologies. No proper career path definition.

"Great company for getting started in Dev"

Former Employee - Android Developer in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Android Developer in Addison, TX

I worked at Bottle Rocket (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work on a lot of different things and get a ton of exposure and experience
    Ton's of training and education to help you grow as a dev
    Great people who love their jobs
    Relaxed work environment
    WFH one day a week
    Unlimited vacation and they are very flexible for vacation requests

Cons

Low pay and benefits compared to the market average
    They've had a rough past year business wise - but appear to be on the rise again
    Their focus is shifting to a more Strategy oriented business model, devs taking back seat
    Not a lot of options for career growth internally as far as promotions and pay raises
    It's all client work, some clients are terrible - but most are good. Just luck of the draw
    You work on a ton of different things, so if owning a project/app is your thing then this may not be your gig

Advice to Management

I think the struggle with getting business affected pay, benefits, pay raises, and promotions - but if you want to continue being one of the best places to work in Dallas and get and retain talent then you will need to be more competitive. As I looked around more I found that Bottle Rocket was 30% - 50% below market average for pay / benefits.

"Great start to career"

I have been working at Bottle Rocket full-time

Pros

Bottle Rocket hires passionate people who don't have a lot of experience, being one of the rare companies to provide an opportunity to build an impressive portfolio with big-name clients. Laid back and casual, the people here are great.

Cons

The overall attitude of the company can get a little "self-important" at times, especially with the management. Also, the pay and benefits aren't great, but that's the compromise of getting hired with no experience.

6. "Excellent firm"

I worked at Bottle Rocket full-time

Pros

Some of the best talent, some of the best people in DFW

Cons

Top Management is a little distant since the sale.

7. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Bottle Rocket full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the team.
    Good supervisor and manager.
    Super smart people in my department, and other departments
    Flexibility working hours. I never worried I was going to get in trouble for coming in early because I needed to leave early
    Interesting work. The type of work is fascinating
    Great training ground. I improved my critical thinking skills, project planning.

Cons

Health insurance is kind of tough.
    Limited training opportunities outside of day to day learning.
    Meeting space is limited at times, and its hard to find a room for a private conversation.

Advice to Management

Allow the managers to get us training. It was frustrating because my manager would've sent us to a few training opportunities, but was told no by leadership

"Best place for a mobile engineer to work in Dallas!"

Current Employee - IOS Engineer Lead II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IOS Engineer Lead II in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bottle Rocket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All engineers openly share knowledge and help each other grow. We are advised to push the limits when possible so if you are tired of just keeping legacy code running at your current job this is the place for you. Since I started there has been a push to outline advancement and now it is very clear what one will need to do to advance. Hackathons throughout the year as well as a yearly major hackathon called Rocket Science are dates to look forward to. This company is for builders, dreamers, and those who want to push the boundaries of systems daily. Hybrid Agile workflow that promotes what works, but discards useless parts if they aren't working or aren't needed. Engineers are not in a silo, we work with all disciplines and our input is expected, not pushed aside. Management cares about each employee and is willing to do whatever they can to help fellow Rocketeers. At Bottle Rocket you are part of the family, not just a number on a project. Weekly meetings keep all of us informed on business matters as well as discipline matters.

Cons

The only con I ever here is insurance, but I think that is expected with a company this size. I personally am on my wife's insurance so I can't accurately comment on the coverage. I've worked at smaller companies and corporations and Bottle Rockets insurance seems to fit nicely between a small company and a corporation. I will say that insurance cost and coverage is a priority and has been reviewed and changed every year since I started.

Advice to Management

Please keep pushing all of us to grow and be our best and don't be afraid to pivot from things that aren't working. This has served you great in the past and will continue to serve you in the future.

9. "Controller"

I have been working at Bottle Rocket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture, flexible work/life balance, great people to work with

Cons

No clear path from upper management in hard times.

Advice to Management

Stop deceiving staff in times of financial hardship

"Home away from home"

I worked at Bottle Rocket full-time

Pros

Excellent work life balance. Outstanding culture.

Cons

Growth level is inconsistent currently.