Bottle Rocket Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated May 17, 2020

3.8
Bottle Rocket Founder and CEO Calvin Carter (no image)
Calvin Carter
Pros
  • "Unlimited vacation and they are very flexible for vacation requests(in 8 reviews)

• "Great work environment, cool office vibe, smart people, encouraging colleagues, problem solvers(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "That being said, there is a defined timeline to move into a larger office space(in 5 reviews)

• "The work/life balance is horrible(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Home away from home"

I worked at Bottle Rocket full-time

Pros

Excellent work life balance. Outstanding culture.

Cons

Growth level is inconsistent currently.

2. "One of the worst place to work at"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Bottle Rocket full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to work in different industries

Cons

The paying is nearly at the bottom bracket comparing to other tech companies. The work/life balance is horrible

3. "Controller"

4.0

I have been working at Bottle Rocket full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture, flexible work/life balance, great people to work with

Cons

No clear path from upper management in hard times.

"I learned so much"

Former Employee - IOS Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Bottle Rocket full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bottle Rocket was my first industry job as a software engineer. When I first started I was fairly new to the platform I was to write apps on, so I was a bit worried I might not come up to speed quickly. But there were so many brilliant people to learn from that within the first year I felt completely comfortable with my abilities. The culture of learning at Bottle Rocket is fantastic, especially if you feel a serious hunger for knowledge. Over the past couple of years, training of engineers has vastly improved. There are tremendous opportunities to improve coding chops at Bottle Rocket. The culture of building great stuff is also a huge plus. Everybody understands the utility of surprising and delighting users with beautiful and functional apps. The development process is extremely collaborative. I immensely enjoyed working with designers who challenged me daily to think about things in different ways and to challenge my assumptions about what is possible. Work/life balance is extremely important at BR. Vacation time is self-managed. If you get your work done efficiently, you have the opportunity to take as much vacation time as you need. Granted, sometimes project timelines can be tight, but in my experience anybody who isn't getting enough vacation time simply isn't taking it upon themselves to use it. When I first started, I'd say that a lot of engineers were compensated poorly. That has improved dramatically, though, recently. Now strong performers earn extremely competitive salaries, particularly for the Dallas cost of living. Bottle Rocket advanced my career tremendously, and I will always have fond memories of working there. I would certainly not be in the great position I currently find myself in without having had the opportunity to hone my craft at BR. There is no better firm for a software engineer in DFW than Bottle Rocket.

Cons

Bottle Rocket is owned by an ad agency, and the work is almost entirely client focused. Sometimes clients do not necessarily have their end users' experience foremost in their minds, instead focusing on narrow business goals. With everybody at Bottle Rocket advocating for the user and understanding that a great user experience can create brand affinity, there is sometimes a tug of war with clients. The client (i.e. the customer) is always right, though, so sometimes the user experience suffers. As someone who loves to build the right thing for users, I found this to be really difficult at times. Medical benefits are also not fantastic. For a single person, the cost to benefit ratio of the currently available health plans are pretty awful. As a tech company, turnover can be high, particularly for the iOS engineering group. I can't fault Bottle Rocket for this, and in fact it's the teaching and learning culture that enables engineers to springboard their careers which causes the turnover. I think it says a lot that former Rocketeers work at some very prestigious firms out in Silicon Valley now. But as a junior developer, it can be hard when your mentors leave. Good engineers can eventually find themselves in a place where any new knowledge they want to learn has to be acquired by hard trial and error and self study. Self-starters can continue to advance their coding chops, but soon other opportunities become very attractive for those who want to acquire new skills.

Continue reading
  5. "Top Tier App Development Company"

Current Employee - IOS Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bottle Rocket full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big clients, cool ideas, passionate people, fantastic work/life balance, ongoing learning opportunities, modern office, nurturing work environment, self-managed vacation policy.

Cons

Not sure there are many cons. In fact, one would be hard pressed to provide even a single con. Salaries seem lower than the industry average but the trade off is for a more favorable work/life balance.

Continue reading
  6. "They are willing to invest in their people. They hiring me knowing I was 4 months pregnant."

4.0
    Current Employee - Android Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bottle Rocket full-time for less than a year

Pros

What really impressed me so far is that when they found out that I was pregnant during the interview process, they mentioned their maternity benefits and then we continued as if it weren't a big concern. I had interviewed with a couple other companies and after they found out it was pretty much the end of the discussion. It was different at Bottle Rocket. The founder is very involved and interested. He meets with all the new employees for 30 minutes in a small group to see how their on boarding was and get their feedback. He also has open office hours once a week. The passion at this place is electrifying. Watching the review and tweaking of app user experience was exciting. It is clear that they really want to get it just right. The culture seems fun and sometimes silly. :) There was a nerf war my first week, and there is talk about maybe putting a slide between the first and second levels of the new building. Also there are employee organized film, maker (think robotics etc), and board game clubs that meet every week.

Cons

They can expect a lot of their employees. For instance you are asked to complete some of your training before you even start your first day on the job. I have only been here a week and it does seem like some people work some long hours. But when I have been watching them no manager was pressuring them. It just seemed like they wanted to finish something that day. This looks like a place where you are responsible for maintaining your own work life balance. If you aren't careful you could overdo it. For instance you are responsible for managing your own vacation which is "unlimited". That doesn't mean you can take it whenever you want, just means you are responsible for managing it. On the other side if you are passionate and can maintaing your own healthy bounderies it might be great. I am still new so my impressions are of course limited.

"Great people, great clients, great place to learn and grow your career"

I worked at Bottle Rocket full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits: unlimited time off, company parties/events where you can bring your kids and/or friends, determination to keep small culture alive, opportunity to learn new skills and solve problems you wouldn't have the change to anywhere else. The clients are really cool and there's a great variety of the types of apps Bottle Rocket worked on. The impossible is embraced and you always have a chance to prove yourself. Calvin is a true-believer in staying involved in the work the company is producing which is something unique and special to Bottle Rocket.

Cons

Compensation could definitely be more competitive, especially for engineers. Work-life balance can be nonexistent at times, but you could also say that about a lot of digital agencies.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.