Bottomline Technologies Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Bottomline Technologies Boston Reviews

Updated January 22, 2017

Boston, MA Area

Pros
  • Good benefits, good life work balance (in 14 reviews)

• Company has great people who work well together (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of resources in most ares making work life balance a challenge (in 29 reviews)

• If you want to work in an under-appreciated place with little to no room for growth, this is the right place for you (in 6 reviews)

"Great People Horrible Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many amazingly talented and energetic employees. I worked with one of the best teams of people I've ever encountered. Lots of opportunity for growth and development.

Cons

Work/life balance is non-existent. The expectation is you put in as many hours as needed to complete the constant spin of new projects. After months of 60-70hr weeks with no end in sight those amazing employees burn out and find work at companies that respect home life.

Advice to Management

Set a more reasonable pace for projects to allow teams an environment that they can succeed in.

"Stay away if you can"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok pay, ok benefits. Free coffee. Free fruit. Some amazing non manager employees

Cons

Company focused on trends from early 90s. Place resembles Dilbert almost word for word. If you work hard you don't get noticed. Poor raises. Seriously, ask questions that generate buzzwords and cross reference Dilbert. Management much like Dilbert too.

Advice to Management

Put the effort you put into laying off regurgitation employees into managers. There are some clear leaders not getting noticed or hidden by management on purpose so no one notices them.

"Great people at this "Tech" Company"

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People here really do "work with and for each other". If you are proactive and network you can define your own career path and get the opportunity to work with some really smart people.

Cons

-This is a tech company but technology is woefully under utilized internally
    -Work life balance gets harder and harder to manage with increasing demands and the same resources.
    -Plenty of vision for products but a problem executing that vision into tangible products.

Advice to Management

Everyone's job would be easier if more resources were dedicated to making great products. Our dedication to our customers can only take us so far. There is no substitute for great products.

"Bottomline is the new Blackberry"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location is great for the Seacoast area, free snacks every other month. Bonuses (which, unfountainty have been increasingly delayed).

Cons

Lacks innovation or direction when it comes to product. In the past five years I've worked for BT, our division has lost several key "banner" customers by consistency making promises that are not fulfilled, having customer needs fall on deaf ears or realizing too late that we should have kept up with the competition for functionality. The best comparison is that Bottomline is now where Blackberry was prior to the iPhone being unveiled.

Advice to Management

Don't sit on laurels when it comes to innovation. Reduce the "top heavy" VP/Management to employee ratio (including nepotism hires). Listen to customers so they choose to stay. Don't layoff every year blindly to boost quarterly results - after 5 years straight even Wallstreet isn't fooled.

"Good People leave or get laid off; Inept management gets raises or promotions"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers that are not managers are great. Unique product lines and partners are good to work with. Free ice cream.

Cons

Anyone with a manager title. They lay off ALL THE TIME, and they let go hard workers with the better attitudes. I've seen too many good people laid off just so their profit margins look good.
    Petty, condescending and judgmental managers who play favorites and if you are not in their circle, your life will be miserable here. Run as fast as you can from this company, as they are trending and spiraling down. Most of the positive reviews are mandated by management or created by HR in an attempt to cover how corrosive and toxic this place is.

Advice to Management

Advise? As if anyone in this company would listen. Most of the tenured team that has had to watch great people leave or get laid off are actively looking to leave.

"Good company, but beware of Layoffs all of the time"

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

- The only good thing about working at Bottomline was that I was able to get hands-on experience that I can use to polish my resume.
    - Working here led me to discover what career field I am passionate about. However, I probably could have found that elsewhere as well.

Cons

- Upper management is very corrupt. It's not very noticeable but all I can anonymously advise is to beware of it.
    - Salary/bonuses are OK, but they continually have layoffs.

Advice to Management

For the good managers (yes, there definitely are a handful), keep up the good work)!!

"Tasting of the kool-aid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People. The people at this company really do work with and for each other. The people are one of the only things that keep most of us coming back each day.

Cons

The kool-aid is a true thing here at Bottomline... People are not treated equally, pay is all over the place. College students that get hired as part of the special "College Program" get paid more than some employees that have quadruple the experience and have worked in the company for multiple years. Only certain people who are "connected", to the upper echelons, get invited to special company events like Christmas Parties and Summer outings..

The "open door" policy... is only an open door on your way out. (when you get laid off 15 days before Christmas) There is no open door. Nearly everyone I have ever spoken to is afraid of HR and they are supposed to be the most supportive in the company and help when you need it.

POLITICS POLITICS POLITICS... A "flat" organization... What a joke! Dicatorship might be a better word... the simplest things are a huge process and anything that might actually move the company forward into the 21st century gets turned down. Technology and systems are a mess. They continually buy more and more tech and software.. under use it or set it up wrong and then say it was the technology that didn't work. Finally, the worst and most unhealthy con.. is the undermining attacks and treatment by the C level. One day might be all smiles and the next you are fearing being fired for what might be the smallest mistake (Like printing something on the wrong type of paper)

Advice to Management

The Board of Directors seriously needs to read these reviews, step in and make changes. There are so many mid level management members that are successful but, they are blocked by hierarchy, politics and processes that never end. Hoping something happens soon... this is going downhill fast..

"Best Company!!"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

The people at BT are amazing and truly work with and for each other. The energy and enthusiasm is infectious and ideas are welcome at all levels.

Cons

None to report - a great company all around

Advice to Management

Continue to create opportunities for top performers. Employee meetings are informative and energetic allowing employees to understand future opportunity.

"My experience working at Bottomline Technologies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bottomline Technologies is a company with sound core values, making it a high quality work environment for high quality employees. The company encourages and rewards a strong work ethic, not only with regard to working hard but even more so working smart and working collaboratively with your peers. At Bottomline Technologies we leverage current technologies and project management techniques, making it an ideal work environment for technology enthusiasts to expand their knowledge-bases. Furthermore we are poised to make a significant mark on the state-of-the art for Digital Banking Solutions.

Cons

The environment at Bottomline is fast-paced. Look elsewhere if you are seeking a passive work environment where it's easy to blend in!

Advice to Management

Continue to stick to the core values that have created a solid, stable business that is poised for growth!

"This company is a joke !"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Don't have any pros for this company.

Cons

Company spent a lot of money trying to develop a simple web service, a restful api and failed miserably. The management put people who have no knowledge of the technologies in charge of the project. Those people only know how to play politics. They completely ruined the project.

Advice to Management

Put the people who can do the job to the position. Not the people who can talk and who can go to bar with you after work.