Bottomline Technologies Reviews in Portsmouth, NH | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • Good benefits, good life work balance (in 14 reviews)

• Competitive Salary, Great people across all lines of business, Friendly co-workers, Execs take the time to listen to all ideas (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of resources in most ares making work life balance a challenge (in 30 reviews)

• If you want to work in an under-appreciated place with little to no room for growth, this is the right place for you (in 6 reviews)

"A great company on New Hampshire's Sea Coast!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Bottomline for 1 year now and I couldn't be happier. My work has been very rewarding, management wants and expects you to come in and try and make a difference no matter what your position. In my experience, if you come to Bottomline, come with ideas because management wants to hear them. The other thing that I love about the company is the work life balance. If something happens outside of work the teams and managers are flexible and that helps.

Cons

This is not really a negative but the company is extremely fasted paced and it can be hard for hiring managers to express the reality of the speed that we move.

"Great place to work! Modern and growing environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Work-Life Balance/Flexibility
    -Friendly/Knowledgeable Employees
    -Growth Opportunities
    -Modern office and technology
    -Very fast paced

Cons

-Disorganized at times
    -Very fast paced
    -Hard to get to know everyone!

Advice to Management

Weekly check-ins are helpful , everyone seems to get so busy and lose track of time. Keep up the constant communication!

"Recognition of a good company, that is working to be great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Company is growing in a positive direction
    -Fast-paced environment
    -Company-wide quarterly meetings
    -Community involvement (charitable donations, heavy involvement with the United Way, annual 5ks which benefit a local charity)
    -People are amazing
    -Generous vacation time
    -Casual dress work environment
    -Family friendly events (i.e. bring your kids to work day, Halloween...)
    -Ice cream truck in Summer!
    -Fresh fruit
    -'Get to Know' programs offer education on Bottomline's different lines of business

Cons

-Fast-paced environment (not for everyone), can create confusion, chaos and lead to a lack of communication

Advice to Management

Work with team to set internal advancement opportunities
    Communication!

"Bottomline Technologies with and for each other"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for Bottomline Technologies for the last 11+ years, and in that time I have witnessed a great many things that speak to the heart of this company. The depth of commitment to employees is second to none. When there is someone in need Bottomline steps up in ways that most companies do not. These acts of kindness are not publicized, but I've witnessed them first hand on many occasions. Bottomline Technologies truly lives the guiding principal of "With and for each other"

Cons

Still making progress on the Agile transformation. At times when the pressure mounts Agile principals get tossed out the window.

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees and help them progress on their career path. Don't be fearful that they look for other opportunities.

"So Glad I Came Here"

Current Employee - Vendor Advocate Specialist in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Vendor Advocate Specialist in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I just passed my one year mark at Bottomline as well. My employment here marked my leap from one industry into this completely new (to me) field. Bottomline takes the time to invest in the training and development of the people that they hire. My investment here has been met ten fold with opportunity and support. I absolutely love the culture and the challenge.

Cons

This is not a place to rest on your laurels. If you do not like a challenge or can not learn new systems, this is not a fit for you. Great supportive environment, but generally challenging (by design).

Advice to Management

From my vantage point: the more you communicate specific goals, the more this staff wants to rise to the challenge. Hiring seems to be focused on hard work, competence and motivation. Setting clear markers for success has been a good strategy.

"Great Company, Great People"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Competitive Salary, Great people across all lines of business, Friendly co-workers, Execs take the time to listen to all ideas. College Hire Program is great for recent/upcoming Grads. Work/Life Balance is also great if you can manage your work. Benefits are very competitive, ESPP, 401K matching. Also great opportunities within the company to grow both vertically and horizontally.

Cons

company is rapidly expanding industries and growing its market share so keeping up with demand can sometimes be difficult

"Bottomline Technologies Employee"

Current Employee - Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Manager in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

I have just reached my year anniversary at Bottomline! I had a great year working for and with a progressive, high-energy company and team.
    I consider myself extremely fortunate to work in such a positive culture and environment with great employees and customers.
    The Portsmouth office is a great space to work in with the benefits of cafe's on all floors, free coffee and fruit! We are truly committed to the community, which has also been important to me.
    Thank you BT!

Cons

Some of our office processes are still manual, but I know there are a number of important projects underway to change this.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in technology and people!

"Lots of opportunity to problem solve"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company's values are spot on: delight customers, do the right thing, etc. Coworkers are great for the most part.

Cons

Management constantly expects employees to go above and beyond and work long hours without providing relief. Management need to provide better tools and processes to employees to allow them to enjoy a better work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Recognize employees' hard work and improve processes/systems so they aren't constantly struggling to keep up.

"Hidden value waiting to be unlocked"

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Sales & customer service have very strong focus on customer delight

Cons

Products routinely late and below spec
    Sales teams overlap

Advice to Management

Increase the candid conversation of tough issues

"Steady Pay, False Promises"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Team members are friendly.
    Offices are stocked with drinks and snacks.
    9-5 isn't frowned upon for those who aren't motivated.

Cons

Client based product sales leads to crazy initiatives. Management spends all of their time pushing developers to meet deadlines for features that were sold and promised before ever consulting a developer.

Bonuses are promised quarterly but you'll either not receive one because the company is doing so poorly or you'll see a fraction of a percent.

Compensation is barely competitive and raises are only given during review periods, which management doesn't have review periods if the company lacks funding to cover raises.

There is a severe lack of middle management for development and product which causes chaos. Whether this is due to unavailable budget to cover director-level management or lack of interest, it causes disconnect on multiple levels.

Development team is struggling and mostly composed of repurposed, "senior" developers. This is a company that gives titles and money in return for tenure, not experience and performance.

Developers should not be crossing streams nearly as much as they do currently. Technical debt is piling incredibly high and it is not maintainable if your developers aren't properly trained.

Culture is miserable and boring. Dress code is dated. In office entertainment is a joke. It feels like the modern version of Office Space at every turn.

Advice to Management

Audit your development team and trim it down based on skill. Don't be afraid to lay off developers who have inapplicable skill sets. Stop selling features without consulting with development on time frame and scope. Put director-level management in place which can help send information properly up the chain of command and help reduce stress on product, development, and quality assurance.

It's 2016 and a majority of your employees don't see customers every day. Tee shirts and shorts are the norm for tech companies these days. If you want to attract top talent for your salary levels you need to get up to speed.