Bottomline Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Bottomline Technologies President and CEO Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people and work environment - Bottomline is very particular about their values and hiring people that fit the culture" (in 21 reviews)

• "Good benefits and Employee Stock Purchase Program" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lack of work/life balance for managers" (in 35 reviews)

• "There are periods of time when people work very long hours which negatively affects work their life balance and well being" (in 12 reviews)

"Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The team here is truly special. They are some of the brightest and most driven people I've ever worked with. While there is a ton of work, you know the group around you will be right there with you all the way.

We do a lot for the community. Great programs in support of local charities and events to support United Way and other causes I care about.

I've recommended Bottomline to several old coworkers who have joined over the years. It's been a good experience for many of us.

Cons

This company is growing and people are working hard. Sometimes a little too hard.

Advice to Management

Encourage and enable the teams to focus a portion of their time on the things that help them scale better to support the growth of the company. Automation is critical.

"Services and Ops"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

1. Excellent benefits package including their employee stock purchase plan
    2. Market leader in their services with tons of potential
    3. Fair with working remotely
    4. CEO has a great personality and is a people person
    5. Recognize staff who go above and beyond and good incentives

Cons

1. Product innovation (not first in line to come out with innovative features)
    2. Lack of career growth in office outside of the HQ in Portsmouth, NH
    3. As a payments processing company, company is open on some bank holidays
    4. Lack of work/life balance for managers

Advice to Management

Need to be able to recognize employees who go above and beyond in non customer facing environments or sales. Need to be able to recognize innovative employees, and employees who have a passion for streamlining manual and systemic processes to make the job easier with less steps regardless of personality.

"Can be a great place to work depending on the department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some flexibility to work from home at times like sickness or snow storm
    decent pay
    start with 3 weeks vacation
    BT offers workshops and mentoring to help you learn new skills
    shadowing other departments/teams for possible cross training or jump is nice
    Portsmouth office is in a great location, close to highways and places to eat during lunch
    hours are a little flexible if you have appointments
    CEO Rob Eberle is fantastic, gives great advice, easy to talk to, and takes the time to talk to you. There is also a "Straight to the CEO" link where you can message Rob and he reads them all and replies, very involved

Cons

benefits aren't as great now as when I started, employee price is higher, copays higher.
    long hours with no OT if you aren't in a phone queue job, bad work/life balance
    there are some higher up employees who are hard to work with, depending on your department, lots of throwing lower employees under the bus in order for them to look good in front of the customer

Advice to Management

Listen to employees when they express difficulty with long hours and difficult employees that cause friction with the customer. The surveys are great but only if followed by actual effort to change for the better.

"Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In a hot market space; some very decent and very competent people.

Cons

Small company politics with CEO inner circle as key to advancement. Pay is on the low end. Your experience will depend 100% on which LoB/ function you are in and the leadership style and culture they've created (farther from HQ=better)

Advice to Management

Est. policies and practices for succession and leadership development. Take a slightly longer time horizon. Expand/ seek out diverse perspectives. People who care about the firm's success leave because they struggle to break into the boy's club.

"Successful Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Transparent, amazing benefits, small company feel with large company successes! Growth within and sky is the limit!!

Cons

If you don’t want to work hard, push yourself beyond to see what you’re really capable of, be accountable and take the good with the bad then this time isn’t the company for you. I wouldn’t be who I am today (successful) had I not been dedicated and part of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing us to achieve and be a company we can all be proud of!

"Leadership seems to be MIA"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dedicated, smart employees who work well together.

Cons

Leadership seems to be Missing in Action. There are zero meetings with management higher than your own manager other than the quarterly CEO All Hands which is basically a pep rally with employee recognition. There is never communication of company or line of business or departmental goals, strategy, state of the business , sharing of financials, plans for the future, etc. When you do hear from management there are a lot of words, but no follow up communications and no noticeable actions taken. The company has too many leaders while almost every area doesn't have sufficient staff so most work is rushed and of poor quality due to being rushed and overworked.

There is no coaching, mentoring, career path, professional development or for the past 2 years a formal performance appraisal. If bonuses are paid it's a state secret where you are advised not to even say you received anything because not every will; however leadership always seems to get some type of bonus plus stock.

You'll be expected to work weekends with no compensation or comp time. You may even be heavily pressured to reschedule vacations approved months in advance because of some last minute need at Bottomline.

Advice to Management

Clean house in management and hire more people who actually deliver against contractual obligations. Learn what it means to be a service provider who hosts cloud solutions and staff appropriately. LISTEN to your employees; especially ones at companies you acquired because if you had the expertise in-house you wouldn't need to buy it.

"Unfulfilled"

Pros

People are welcoming, excited for you to join the company.

Cons

Hiring process is a bit wonky. Should consider conducting background screening before hire date.

Advice to Management

Communicate

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - . in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - . in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bottomline's Paymode-X unit is a great place to work (I haven't worked in other areas of Bottomline). There's a real sense of everyone trying to work together - people really do help each other out, and push to be successful together, as a team and as a company. There's very little tolerance for office politics. I recognize that I have a good job, for a good company, and I work hard. The head of this part of the business is demanding but fair and has grown a successful organization on a culture of cooperation and hard work, and has a supportive open-door policy.

The Paymode-X product is well-known in our market, and recognized as a leading payments solution. It is nice to have people recognize your company and product name, and to be part of a successful product.

Cons

This is a fast-paced company. Being successful requires a lot of hard work, and you have to be willing to take responsibility for your own fate. If you want a company that gives you the set of manuals you need to read for your next promotion, you won't find that here. If you're willing to dig in, learn your position and learn about the products and people, and apply that knowledge to help the team, you can grow a career here.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on your team. Sometimes there are a lot of things happening at once which can be hard. Don't let office politics seep into the culture.

"Great Culture!"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

-Lots of awesome people who are willing to help you
    -Big company, small company feel
    -Exciting to work there

Cons

-Limited visibility + gap from management

"Go Long for this Potential Acquisition Target"

Former Employee - Product in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Product in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Likely the one global company that really knows payments well. Perhaps someday you'll be able to say "Alexa, pay all my account payables and send notices to our late net-10/30s that full payment is now required."

Cons

If you liked "Hot Tub Time Machine", you'll love working at Bottomline Technologies (not in 1986, but in the early noughties)

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing. Your competitors will love you for it.