Bottomline Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • Competitive Salary, Great people across all lines of business, Friendly co-workers, Execs take the time to listen to all ideas (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits, good life work balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of resources in most ares making work life balance a challenge (in 30 reviews)

• If you want to work in an under-appreciated place with little to no room for growth, this is the right place for you (in 6 reviews)

"Benefits Distinguishing A Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Six-months ago we learned that my wife had a rare form of cancer that requires many diagnostic tests, a team of oncological doctors, chemotherapy, multiple surgeries, and radiation treatments. I needed to quickly get-to-action to understand how we would afford this, determine my work-life balance, and ensure that my wife had the chance to live we want her to have. I'd not chosen Bottomline as an employer for their medical benefits coverage but due to their market opportunity in a very competitive payments solution market.

I made a great choice, if I only use the benefits to evaluate the company. Why? I selected the family medical plan available to any employee knowing that I would pay my employee share, the co-pays, and family/individual deductibles.

Since we never anticipated getting this news, I planned for the normal family benefits in my selection of medical benefits, like most employees, as they "come-with-the-role". I've always been fine with sharing in the benefit insurance costs as I know the employer pays the majority - the same here.

Our immediate reaction was how much beyond our coverage would be covered and what financial means it would take to ensure my wife got healthy. My reaction was it didn't matter how much I'd personally need to spend - even if all our retirement & personal savings would be needed - like most husbands, I'm sure.

What I learned by talking with our head of human resources is that the company's medical plans would assure that our costs would be manageable financially, the work-life balance would not be an issue, and that if we needed anything - just ask for help. This was more true than words can communicate here.

We haven't had any financial hardship and the work-life balance has been a back&forth process where some weeks I'm drawn away from work and when possible, I'm getting my role done.

I've never chosen a company due to benefits but this "life experience" taught me that what "further distinguishes Bottomline" is an offering of medical benefits that anticipates what you need...since few of us plan for this type of illness / disease...who would.

If you are looking for a great company for role, compensation, and career purposes - this is a great place.

However, if you are reading this - ask yourself, "Should I or can i be planning for the unknown for my family and what will the benefits of the company support if I get the bad news?".

I know personally what Bottomline has...as it's given my wife the ability to seek treatment, not require us to spend our life savings, and keep me employed while our family drives thru her treatments toward full-recovery. Nothing in life is certain...but we can make certain choices that can anticipate what we haven't planned for - I'm lucky I chose Bottomline. You could be too!

Cons

If you read the above, it would be difficult to find negatives!

Advice to Management

This company is distinguished by many things...while we could more strongly emphasize the benefits in the hiring and should have a focus on their importance to the individual & family that helps them anticipate for what they might not see in their future.

"Great company with great people"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helpful coworkers
    Portsmouth office in a nice location

Cons

Lack of resources for many teams
    Lack of product knowledge in each team
    Many teams follow Agile Scrum in name only
    Some teams neglected
    Coworkers constantly shifting teams

Advice to Management

Allow teams to determine one of the two major release variables (deadline or featureset).

"A great company on New Hampshire's Sea Coast!"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Bottomline for 1 year now and I couldn't be happier. My work has been very rewarding, management wants and expects you to come in and try and make a difference no matter what your position. In my experience, if you come to Bottomline, come with ideas because management wants to hear them. The other thing that I love about the company is the work life balance. If something happens outside of work the teams and managers are flexible and that helps.

Cons

This is not really a negative but the company is extremely fasted paced and it can be hard for hiring managers to express the reality of the speed that we move.

"Great place to work! Modern and growing environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Work-Life Balance/Flexibility
    -Friendly/Knowledgeable Employees
    -Growth Opportunities
    -Modern office and technology
    -Very fast paced

Cons

-Disorganized at times
    -Very fast paced
    -Hard to get to know everyone!

Advice to Management

Weekly check-ins are helpful , everyone seems to get so busy and lose track of time. Keep up the constant communication!

"Recognition of a good company, that is working to be great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Company is growing in a positive direction
    -Fast-paced environment
    -Company-wide quarterly meetings
    -Community involvement (charitable donations, heavy involvement with the United Way, annual 5ks which benefit a local charity)
    -People are amazing
    -Generous vacation time
    -Casual dress work environment
    -Family friendly events (i.e. bring your kids to work day, Halloween...)
    -Ice cream truck in Summer!
    -Fresh fruit
    -'Get to Know' programs offer education on Bottomline's different lines of business

Cons

-Fast-paced environment (not for everyone), can create confusion, chaos and lead to a lack of communication

Advice to Management

Work with team to set internal advancement opportunities
    Communication!

"Bottomline Technologies with and for each other"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for Bottomline Technologies for the last 11+ years, and in that time I have witnessed a great many things that speak to the heart of this company. The depth of commitment to employees is second to none. When there is someone in need Bottomline steps up in ways that most companies do not. These acts of kindness are not publicized, but I've witnessed them first hand on many occasions. Bottomline Technologies truly lives the guiding principal of "With and for each other"

Cons

Still making progress on the Agile transformation. At times when the pressure mounts Agile principals get tossed out the window.

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees and help them progress on their career path. Don't be fearful that they look for other opportunities.

"Challenging Culture"

Former Employee - Reporting Developer in Exeter, NH
    Former Employee - Reporting Developer in Exeter, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The fast paced atmosphere fits my desire to push the limits of technology.

Cons

The culture focuses on accountability. The business model is on acquisitions, which makes for a defensive atmosphere among peers. As someone who focuses on the positive and how a team can improve during both good and bad situations, Bottomline Technologies culture made it difficult for a team to really thrive.

Advice to Management

Shift focus from reducing number of team members after acquisition to acquiring companies that are lean and can therefore be gracefully added to the Bottomline team.

"So Glad I Came Here"

Current Employee - Vendor Advocate Specialist in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Vendor Advocate Specialist in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I just passed my one year mark at Bottomline as well. My employment here marked my leap from one industry into this completely new (to me) field. Bottomline takes the time to invest in the training and development of the people that they hire. My investment here has been met ten fold with opportunity and support. I absolutely love the culture and the challenge.

Cons

This is not a place to rest on your laurels. If you do not like a challenge or can not learn new systems, this is not a fit for you. Great supportive environment, but generally challenging (by design).

Advice to Management

From my vantage point: the more you communicate specific goals, the more this staff wants to rise to the challenge. Hiring seems to be focused on hard work, competence and motivation. Setting clear markers for success has been a good strategy.

"Great Company, Great People"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Competitive Salary, Great people across all lines of business, Friendly co-workers, Execs take the time to listen to all ideas. College Hire Program is great for recent/upcoming Grads. Work/Life Balance is also great if you can manage your work. Benefits are very competitive, ESPP, 401K matching. Also great opportunities within the company to grow both vertically and horizontally.

Cons

company is rapidly expanding industries and growing its market share so keeping up with demand can sometimes be difficult

"Senior Software Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a company which truly cares about its employee's. Team members are not just employees but are part of an extended family. The work is fast paced but very rewarding. Out of the companies I have worked for I have fun here, the people are great, the work is exciting and cutting edge.

Cons

I cant think of any real cons to working at Bottomline. The work is faced paced and can sometimes be stressful but at the end of a day I feel I've made a difference; my opinions and contributions are appreciated.