Bottomline Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • Competitive Salary, Great people across all lines of business, Friendly co-workers, Execs take the time to listen to all ideas (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits, good life work balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of resources in most ares making work life balance a challenge (in 30 reviews)

• If you want to work in an under-appreciated place with little to no room for growth, this is the right place for you (in 6 reviews)

"Recognition of a good company, that is working to be great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Company is growing in a positive direction
    -Fast-paced environment
    -Company-wide quarterly meetings
    -Community involvement (charitable donations, heavy involvement with the United Way, annual 5ks which benefit a local charity)
    -People are amazing
    -Generous vacation time
    -Casual dress work environment
    -Family friendly events (i.e. bring your kids to work day, Halloween...)
    -Ice cream truck in Summer!
    -Fresh fruit
    -'Get to Know' programs offer education on Bottomline's different lines of business

Cons

-Fast-paced environment (not for everyone), can create confusion, chaos and lead to a lack of communication

Advice to Management

Work with team to set internal advancement opportunities
    Communication!

"Bottomline Technologies Employee"

Current Employee - Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Manager in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

I have just reached my year anniversary at Bottomline! I had a great year working for and with a progressive, high-energy company and team.
    I consider myself extremely fortunate to work in such a positive culture and environment with great employees and customers.
    The Portsmouth office is a great space to work in with the benefits of cafe's on all floors, free coffee and fruit! We are truly committed to the community, which has also been important to me.
    Thank you BT!

Cons

Some of our office processes are still manual, but I know there are a number of important projects underway to change this.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in technology and people!

"Good benefits"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good life work balance. Nice people who do great things in the company. The senior employees help starters

Cons

Salary is pretty stable with not enough incentives to reward hard working employees. Spreading wide rather than focus on fee good products

"It's a Good Time to be at BT!"

Current Employee - New Hampshire in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - New Hampshire in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full of opportunity. People are dedicated, kind, curious and driven to WIN and to Win together.

The business is investing in future.

Great business opportunities, customer following and new technologies that our customers want and need to grow their businesses.

Family friendly and community minded- kids day, trick or treating, race 4 a cause, quarterly charitable giving, fun United Way campaign activities.

Communication is active and culture is positive.

Great benefits, for the most part.

Cons

Communication around performance is inconsistent. Some people get reviews, some people don't. This can create an uneven playing field for career growth.
    Work hours can be very long.

Advice to Management

No matter how stressful things become, now matter how many multiple competing priorities you have to manage, remember that the way you interact with your employees creates impressions. Remember that your employees' experience with is a significant factor in their engagement and desire to stay and grow with the company.

I am very happy at BT - but addressing the cons and advise in this review would be greatly appreciated.

6. "A great place to experience growth and challenges"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bottomline is a growing, fast-paced company that provides a challenging environment for those that are up to it.

Cons

The experience of working at Bottomline is NOT for everyone given the rapid pace we all work at.

"Building a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at Bottomline for over six years now, and I can say that the environment is high-energy, positive, and supportive. At all levels, there is an emphasis on putting the customers first, and supporting your team and co-workers (we’d call it “working with and for each other”). For the entire time I’ve worked here, the company has been aggressively growing by pursuing larger customers, acquiring new businesses, and expanding its offerings to capture more business. The company has grown significantly (check the market cap), and continues to push along that track. What that means for employees is a fast paced environment that top performers will be comfortable in.

With all of that said, people at all levels take pride in the company’s achievement, and management makes everyone aware of the business results and how every person contributes to our success.

Salary and Bonuses - Ample, opportunities to ensure that you're where you feel you should be
    Benefits - Excellent, can't say enough about the medical, vision, dental, life ins, etc.

Cons

These are not "Cons", but a reality check:

When considering Bottomline, don’t mistake it for a “typical” medium size company that’s coasting on past successes. The pace is fast.

The company has high expectations, and those who have high expectations of themselves will succeed most here.

"Challenge and Opportunity go hand in hand"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

There is opportunity at BT, I've lived it. Starting with the company five years ago I now make more money than I ever have in my life. My daughter started as an intern this year, was hired in early and is now making a fair salary and has both a technical career path and is excelling at the work and excited about her future. Would I like to be compensated more?..Of course...but it seem's more than a bit naive to have an expectation that a global, public corporation is going to weight everything towards the individual. Any company in this category is responsible to the shareholders and has to try to strike a balance between revenue and expense.

The executive management did a great job of continuing to drive profits during an extremely difficult economic downturn, keeping the company in business as other's were closing their doors. Was that challenging for the worker?...less so than not having a job...and in fact, we've been able to grow the company substantially in these last years, which does open the door for greater opportunities.

This is software development, with a great client base of some of the largest corporations in the world. Are the hours challenging sometimes?...Yes, but if people want a 9 to 5, check in - check out position...they probably should look to another industry to meet those need's.

The greatest asset of BT is it's people. I've never worked with a more dedicated, intelligent and caring group of peers. At the end of the day, however long that may be...I know I've been part of a team of excellence unlike any other...and yes, just as high caliber as any of the largest companies now making software on the planet.

Cons

One could always say compensation could be better, but only each individual can really say what that would be for them.
    No clear process for comp time when long hours to hit deliverables is a reality.
    Not enough focus on emerging changes in the technology and being far ahead of the competition related to those technologies....example...where will java based software be in 10 years?...I would hazard a guess that it will be completely different...it's great to be aligning with the move to mobile technologies etc....but what will be driving the industry and put the company ahead of the pack 5- 10 years from now? As an evolving company, there need's to be more investment in the long range tech future.

Advice to Management

Listen to your middle-management tier....they are the backbone of the success of BT and allow them dialogue without filters...perhaps create a regular forum for such dialogue, a "BT think tank" , where they can share the intel. They know where the challenges are and addressing those challenges are what create the opportunities for continued success.

"Great Company!"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Bottomline for over 3 years. Great atmosphere, one of a kind culture, and lots of growth potential.

Cons

Still a business that seems to run 5 or six businesses seperatly . Still working on a "one company" atmosphere. sometimes it seems like one hand does not know what the other hand is doing sespite great efforts at communicaion

Advice to Management

I do not have much more to add here. This company is great and the employees are friendly and helpful. They are willing to see talent, not just education

"Good people, decent 401K, salaries remain flat"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are the best, decent 401K , work-from-home policy for many employees

Cons

Medical insurance has large deductible and co-pays, bonuses range between few hundred $ or none at all, salaries remain flat for several years now.

"hard worker"

Pros

good pay benefits conditions - there is a lot of work to do - writing a review gets you free access to Glassdoor

Cons

no raise this year, at least five words