Bottomline Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Bottomline Technologies President and CEO Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people to work with, which promotes loyalty (in 17 reviews)

• Good benefits - much better than my last company (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is completely out of proportion (in 31 reviews)

• If you want to work in an under-appreciated place with little to no room for growth, this is the right place for you (in 6 reviews)

"Challenge and Opportunity go hand in hand"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

There is opportunity at BT, I've lived it. Starting with the company five years ago I now make more money than I ever have in my life. My daughter started as an intern this year, was hired in early and is now making a fair salary and has both a technical career path and is excelling at the work and excited about her future. Would I like to be compensated more?..Of course...but it seem's more than a bit naive to have an expectation that a global, public corporation is going to weight everything towards the individual. Any company in this category is responsible to the shareholders and has to try to strike a balance between revenue and expense.

The executive management did a great job of continuing to drive profits during an extremely difficult economic downturn, keeping the company in business as other's were closing their doors. Was that challenging for the worker?...less so than not having a job...and in fact, we've been able to grow the company substantially in these last years, which does open the door for greater opportunities.

This is software development, with a great client base of some of the largest corporations in the world. Are the hours challenging sometimes?...Yes, but if people want a 9 to 5, check in - check out position...they probably should look to another industry to meet those need's.

The greatest asset of BT is it's people. I've never worked with a more dedicated, intelligent and caring group of peers. At the end of the day, however long that may be...I know I've been part of a team of excellence unlike any other...and yes, just as high caliber as any of the largest companies now making software on the planet.

Cons

One could always say compensation could be better, but only each individual can really say what that would be for them.
    No clear process for comp time when long hours to hit deliverables is a reality.
    Not enough focus on emerging changes in the technology and being far ahead of the competition related to those technologies....example...where will java based software be in 10 years?...I would hazard a guess that it will be completely different...it's great to be aligning with the move to mobile technologies etc....but what will be driving the industry and put the company ahead of the pack 5- 10 years from now? As an evolving company, there need's to be more investment in the long range tech future.

Advice to Management

Listen to your middle-management tier....they are the backbone of the success of BT and allow them dialogue without filters...perhaps create a regular forum for such dialogue, a "BT think tank" , where they can share the intel. They know where the challenges are and addressing those challenges are what create the opportunities for continued success.

"Building a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at Bottomline for over six years now, and I can say that the environment is high-energy, positive, and supportive. At all levels, there is an emphasis on putting the customers first, and supporting your team and co-workers (we’d call it “working with and for each other”). For the entire time I’ve worked here, the company has been aggressively growing by pursuing larger customers, acquiring new businesses, and expanding its offerings to capture more business. The company has grown significantly (check the market cap), and continues to push along that track. What that means for employees is a fast paced environment that top performers will be comfortable in.

With all of that said, people at all levels take pride in the company’s achievement, and management makes everyone aware of the business results and how every person contributes to our success.

Salary and Bonuses - Ample, opportunities to ensure that you're where you feel you should be
    Benefits - Excellent, can't say enough about the medical, vision, dental, life ins, etc.

Cons

These are not "Cons", but a reality check:

When considering Bottomline, don’t mistake it for a “typical” medium size company that’s coasting on past successes. The pace is fast.

The company has high expectations, and those who have high expectations of themselves will succeed most here.

"Great Company for A players"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very much client delight focused, compensates well if you are making an impact.

Cons

if you are not good, does not take long to get fired

"A great place to experience growth and challenges"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bottomline is a growing, fast-paced company that provides a challenging environment for those that are up to it.

Cons

The experience of working at Bottomline is NOT for everyone given the rapid pace we all work at.

6. "Excellent and rewarding work environment!"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the biggest pro's are the benefits. They are robust and affordable. Bonuses are paid quarterly and they are generous. Hard work is recognized, but you have to work hard! There are long hours when the situation calls for it, however; they are also flexible with time off, sick time, comp time, etc. After reading some reviews, I was concerned but, knowing my own situation, I wonder if those people actually spoke to their managers regarding their circumstances. I can't imagine having to chose work over family, and I do not see that, even in my position, where I am exposed to many departments and many levels of employees. Having to work after hours or hours that are not usually defined as working hours is sometimes required as some of the work that is necessary cannot be done during that time. This is the nature of the business. You can't upgrade software during business hours, if you don't know that prior to coming to work for a software company, then that's a problem.

Cons

Opportunities for job growth outside of the corporate headquarters are not heard of often. The employees are responsible for their own development, and although that is also a Pro, knowing what positions or career paths are available is sometimes not as clear.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to do your best to keep the a positive work dynamic. Take the time to listen to the people actually doing the work. You may have a superstar on the team, but just not the "right team". Having the right employees in the right team is a win-win situation. Having a person with great skills but doesn't work great with the rest of the team really isn't beneficial to anyone.

7. "very nice place to work. Great benefit"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

very strong culture. Relaxed working environment

Cons

no cons. all good so far

"Sr production support engineer"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good benefits: health, 401K, stock purchase program, gym membership incentive,
    In some positions and locations, partial or full work from home is available.
    Good atmosphere, lots of nice and professional people. Interesting products.

Cons

Salaries below average. Health insurance has deductible.

"Working at Bottomline"

Pros

Good working environment, one of the top employers on the Seacoast. Provides good opportunities for qualified and motivated people, and room to grow a career.

Cons

The company has grown mainly by acquisition over the past 15 - 20 years and so there are many different groups and organizations inside it. Your experience will vary considerably depending on which particular business unit you are working for.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the core values and on trying to harmonize employee experience across all the different lines of business.

"Bottomline: A Great Place to Jumpstart One's Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

Strong, positive culture that yields an ever-changing, fast-paced environment. Management is always willing to listen and do its best to support what it is an employee is looking to achieve day-to-day and long-term in one's career growth. Bottomline is a great place to jumpstart one's career or for one to settle in to a positive corporate culture where one is not just a number. The support of upper management is like no other as the Senior Management team is highly-engaged in day-to-day activities and always leads by example.

Cons

Limited interaction among the different lines of business. Need for more organizational structure and employee guidance.

Advice to Management

You've got some rockstars for employees! Keep investing in the team you have and watch them blossom! Cross-training as well as informal social events outside of the office with different employee groups across the array of business lines will sustain the positive corporate culture and bring the BT team together as one.

"It's a Good Time to be at BT!"

Current Employee - New Hampshire in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - New Hampshire in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full of opportunity. People are dedicated, kind, curious and driven to WIN and to Win together.

The business is investing in future.

Great business opportunities, customer following and new technologies that our customers want and need to grow their businesses.

Family friendly and community minded- kids day, trick or treating, race 4 a cause, quarterly charitable giving, fun United Way campaign activities.

Communication is active and culture is positive.

Great benefits, for the most part.

Cons

Communication around performance is inconsistent. Some people get reviews, some people don't. This can create an uneven playing field for career growth.
    Work hours can be very long.

Advice to Management

No matter how stressful things become, now matter how many multiple competing priorities you have to manage, remember that the way you interact with your employees creates impressions. Remember that your employees' experience with is a significant factor in their engagement and desire to stay and grow with the company.

I am very happy at BT - but addressing the cons and advise in this review would be greatly appreciated.