Bottomline Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Bottomline Technologies President and CEO Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits - much better than my last company (in 20 reviews)

• Good benefits and Employee Stock Purchase Program (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is completely out of proportion (in 32 reviews)

• If you want to work in an under-appreciated place with little to no room for growth, this is the right place for you (in 6 reviews)

"clueless"

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that come to mind

Cons

horrible management, lack of direction, ego's

Advice to Management

just quit

"Tough Culture - most difficult experience in my career"

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

The company was fairly stable. They had some good flagship accounts which hedged us from layoffs

Cons

Evenings and weekends were more than occasional. They kept demanding more and more. The salaries were nothing to brag about either. People just kept their heads down and worked. So it wasn't uncommon to work right next to someone for years and not know who they were. It felt like a corporate sweatshop. I understand they revamped their processes since then. I hope they did something about their management and culture.

Advice to Management

People matter. If your middle managers care more about their careers than their teams, you need some new management.

"Fake News"

Pros

Bullet on your CV. Work from home policy. Frequent opportunities to laugh at CEO. They treat the college hires better than current employees.

Cons

Management uses stack rankings for measly salary increases. Layoffs in fall and Spring. No privacy. Both in the office and your electronic privacy. Health insurance continues to increase. They blame increases on ACA but continue to save money for the company while acting like they are here for you.

Advice to Management

Time for another acquisition, so be prepared for another layoff to pay for the new execs in the salary budget. Quit schilling your slaves to post positive reviews. The CEO is an avid trump donor.

"Completely sucks, Ex slave."

Current Employee - Slave in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Slave in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers, everybody works hard and want to do their best. Benefits are good and pay is good. Can work remote, so this is the only thing keeping me here

Cons

Work you like a dog (slave). Have no direction and management needs to go. They Can't find new people because no one wants to work for them. Network is like 2 cans and a string.

Advice to Management

Change careers. You have no idea how to run a complete

"A lesson in poor management"

Pros

The only positive I can say about this company is that there are other talented people that work here who are equally miserable and feel stuck under the weight of horrendous upper management.

Cons

I worked in sales for the Digital Banking group, so this only applies to that LOB. The leadership is the worst I have seen in my career. The idea of being servant leaders or at a minimum a part of the solution is completely foreign at Bottomline. Upper management will swoop in to tell you everything you did wrong even in victory; however, ask them to participate in a prep session God forbid an actual meeting with a client and ask luck would have it their calendar is magically completely booked for 3-4 straight weeks. Stale, old school banking, east coast mentality that has been out of popularity for well over a decade.

Advice to Management

Purge yourself. You are the reason this company isn't more successful. The technology is sound, if not differentiating, when given the opportunity to be fully baked before being shoved out the door. That said, this company is destined to fail with current leadership at the helm.

"Annual Layoffs are a big issue"

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Like most have stated, good, hard working people, especially on the frontlines. Decent benefits. Decent office locations.

Cons

Unfortunately there are many but for the sake of brevity I will list but a few. Morale is awful all around and management consistently fails to see where the fault lies when things don't go as planned. Annual (sometimes semi-annual) layoffs, as MANY have stated, are a serious problem. People who have been in the same position for 3-5 years are seemingly let go to make room for younger folks straight out of college who are paid less then the folks before them. It seems to have very little to do with performance in many cases. You are also at risk if you have any issues that may result in a leave of absence. I have seen many great colleagues let go within 6-8 months after recovering from a serious illness or family problem. Workloads for multiple departments are incredibly strenuous. The numbers game is very much an issue here and staffing never quite seems adequate (often a result of the aforementioned layoffs). Expect to put in a lot of overtime to get anything done. Promotions are spotty at best for many and promises are often broken.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the real issues and act accordingly. Also ease off on the annual 'cleansing.' This alone kills morale company-wide. You claim to be a great place to work and that you care for your employees but your actions speak louder than your words.

"Wow people still rate them well?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are amazing but under powered to do anything or move anywhere in an upward direction. Decent benefits. Decent location on the seacoast of NH

Cons

The banking sales team is a joke. Egotistical leadership with zero insight into customer needs/wants. Stuck between sunsetting products and trying to develop new "groundbreaking" banking product. The worst place I have ever worked in terms of leadership. Zero room to grow and hone your skills. Zero training and the culture is that of a 40 year old bank. I can't stress enough I did not get fired so this is not a spite review! If you don't believe me look at their stock price which is about to drop to its lowest point in almost 5 years.

Advice to Management

In your yearly layoffs. Instead of the good people that are doing your grunt work take a look at your management team and replace them! you would be surprised at what your people think of them if they weren't so scared to speak up!

"N/A"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Initially there were quarterly bonus' as well as "on the spot bonus", but those stopped 1.5 years ago

Cons

Working for a supervisor who has aggressively attempted to bully me into leaving. 5 years.... Pretty rough way of existing. Management is HORRIFIC... Top heavy... they say there's an "open door policy" but there isn't. if you aren't a favorite... you are nothing and no one . Every year there is a "Be Heading" to reorganize the company.... I've escaped it all this time.....

Advice to Management

Allow workers to review and rate management. You may find that they aren't as good as they pretend to be. Get managers who CARE about the people they work with, encourage and develop them.

"It's a bust"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Your direct co workers are great. The benefits are better than average. The office is very nice. The hardware is awesome.

Cons

The core platform for Digital Banking 3.0 is busted. Management will force you to work weekends and holidays. Management will deny your vacation to meet there half sold software and over promised schedule. Management will call you any hour of any day, night, and weekend and ask you to build some insane piece of functionality in 12 hours. Management thinks every bug can be fixed in 4 hours or less, despite the massive technical debt they have already leveraged on the platform. You can not focus on one thing. You are forced to work on dev support for one month on a crappy legacy platform that only the old school devs with a ton of tribal knowledge can figure out. You will spent about 70 percent of your time switching and building environments working on both the front end and back end, and everyone is expected to be full stack. Agile is dead here. You have no input. You are assigned work based on what your scrum master thinks they know.

Advice to Management

No need to comment. It will not change and is a lost cause. Everyone wants to get out after about 6 months. The turnover rate in our office alone was astronomical.

"Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Bottomline Technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. If you just want a job then this is the place for you. They have no future (and the stock market agrees.)

Cons

management has no direction, mostly old legacy products, lowest morale of anyplace I have worked. avg to poor benefits. No future, just a job

Advice to Management

Employees offer suggestions all the time but management thinks they always know best.