Bottomline Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • Competitive Salary, Great people across all lines of business, Friendly co-workers, Execs take the time to listen to all ideas (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits, good life work balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of resources in most ares making work life balance a challenge (in 30 reviews)

• If you want to work in an under-appreciated place with little to no room for growth, this is the right place for you (in 6 reviews)

1. "CHP Program is great"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Everything has been great so far

Cons

none- I dont have any complaints

Advice to Management

none- smart, motivating. Sometimes hard to schedule time with them

"Benefits Distinguishing A Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Six-months ago we learned that my wife had a rare form of cancer that requires many diagnostic tests, a team of oncological doctors, chemotherapy, multiple surgeries, and radiation treatments. I needed to quickly get-to-action to understand how we would afford this, determine my work-life balance, and ensure that my wife had the chance to live we want her to have. I'd not chosen Bottomline as an employer for their medical benefits coverage but due to their market opportunity in a very competitive payments solution market.

I made a great choice, if I only use the benefits to evaluate the company. Why? I selected the family medical plan available to any employee knowing that I would pay my employee share, the co-pays, and family/individual deductibles.

Since we never anticipated getting this news, I planned for the normal family benefits in my selection of medical benefits, like most employees, as they "come-with-the-role". I've always been fine with sharing in the benefit insurance costs as I know the employer pays the majority - the same here.

Our immediate reaction was how much beyond our coverage would be covered and what financial means it would take to ensure my wife got healthy. My reaction was it didn't matter how much I'd personally need to spend - even if all our retirement & personal savings would be needed - like most husbands, I'm sure.

What I learned by talking with our head of human resources is that the company's medical plans would assure that our costs would be manageable financially, the work-life balance would not be an issue, and that if we needed anything - just ask for help. This was more true than words can communicate here.

We haven't had any financial hardship and the work-life balance has been a back&forth process where some weeks I'm drawn away from work and when possible, I'm getting my role done.

I've never chosen a company due to benefits but this "life experience" taught me that what "further distinguishes Bottomline" is an offering of medical benefits that anticipates what you need...since few of us plan for this type of illness / disease...who would.

If you are looking for a great company for role, compensation, and career purposes - this is a great place.

However, if you are reading this - ask yourself, "Should I or can i be planning for the unknown for my family and what will the benefits of the company support if I get the bad news?".

I know personally what Bottomline has...as it's given my wife the ability to seek treatment, not require us to spend our life savings, and keep me employed while our family drives thru her treatments toward full-recovery. Nothing in life is certain...but we can make certain choices that can anticipate what we haven't planned for - I'm lucky I chose Bottomline. You could be too!

Cons

If you read the above, it would be difficult to find negatives!

Advice to Management

This company is distinguished by many things...while we could more strongly emphasize the benefits in the hiring and should have a focus on their importance to the individual & family that helps them anticipate for what they might not see in their future.

"Great Company!"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Bottomline for over 3 years. Great atmosphere, one of a kind culture, and lots of growth potential.

Cons

Still a business that seems to run 5 or six businesses seperatly . Still working on a "one company" atmosphere. sometimes it seems like one hand does not know what the other hand is doing sespite great efforts at communicaion

Advice to Management

I do not have much more to add here. This company is great and the employees are friendly and helpful. They are willing to see talent, not just education

5. "Resting on their laurels"

Current Employee - Consultant in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people amongst the chaff. Great potential due to a very large customer base. Good place to work if you want autonomy as many managers are incapable of managing their teams.

Cons

Rely too much on existing customer base that legacy products generated. Product development is slow and lacking in imagination. Service driven culture is non-existent.
    There's lot's of dead-wood in middle management upwards, with many of them having very poor management skills and very out of their depth in their roles, but allowed to carry on regardless.
    Customer care programme is a bit of as joke. Some people truly seem to believe this program is good, but it's just a marketing exercise really, there's no supporting substance.
    Bad tendency to sell what they can to customers rather than what the customer actually needs.

Advice to Management

Overhaul your management structures and get people into the roles who can actually do the job. Implement a service driven culture based around ITIL to get things moving properly.

"Recognition of a good company, that is working to be great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Company is growing in a positive direction
    -Fast-paced environment
    -Company-wide quarterly meetings
    -Community involvement (charitable donations, heavy involvement with the United Way, annual 5ks which benefit a local charity)
    -People are amazing
    -Generous vacation time
    -Casual dress work environment
    -Family friendly events (i.e. bring your kids to work day, Halloween...)
    -Ice cream truck in Summer!
    -Fresh fruit
    -'Get to Know' programs offer education on Bottomline's different lines of business

Cons

-Fast-paced environment (not for everyone), can create confusion, chaos and lead to a lack of communication

Advice to Management

Work with team to set internal advancement opportunities
    Communication!

"Great place to work! Modern and growing environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Work-Life Balance/Flexibility
    -Friendly/Knowledgeable Employees
    -Growth Opportunities
    -Modern office and technology
    -Very fast paced

Cons

-Disorganized at times
    -Very fast paced
    -Hard to get to know everyone!

Advice to Management

Weekly check-ins are helpful , everyone seems to get so busy and lose track of time. Keep up the constant communication!

"A great company on New Hampshire's Sea Coast!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Bottomline for 1 year now and I couldn't be happier. My work has been very rewarding, management wants and expects you to come in and try and make a difference no matter what your position. In my experience, if you come to Bottomline, come with ideas because management wants to hear them. The other thing that I love about the company is the work life balance. If something happens outside of work the teams and managers are flexible and that helps.

Cons

This is not really a negative but the company is extremely fasted paced and it can be hard for hiring managers to express the reality of the speed that we move.

"IT"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

Culture of the Company needs to change

"Better to be a contractor"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Lot of technologies, complex environment, decent starting pay, great stock program, decent open door policy.

Cons

no raises, poor company culture, high turnover, cheap benefits, laughable bonuses

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and reward them appropriately
    HR should do some investigation on the high turnover rate and employee satisfaction
    Senior management should speak up and fight for those budget increases even if the stock goes down.

"Fake News"

Pros

Bullet on your CV. Work from home policy. Frequent opportunities to laugh at CEO. They treat the college hires better than current employees.

Cons

Management uses stack rankings for measly salary increases. Layoffs in fall and Spring. No privacy. Both in the office and your electronic privacy. Health insurance continues to increase. They blame increases on ACA but continue to save money for the company while acting like they are here for you.

Advice to Management

Time for another acquisition, so be prepared for another layoff to pay for the new execs in the salary budget. Quit schilling your slaves to post positive reviews. The CEO is an avid trump donor.