Bottomline Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Bottomline Technologies Reviews

Updated July 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Competitive Salary, Great people across all lines of business, Friendly co-workers, Execs take the time to listen to all ideas (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits, good life work balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of resources in most ares making work life balance a challenge (in 30 reviews)

• If you want to work in an under-appreciated place with little to no room for growth, this is the right place for you (in 6 reviews)

"CHP Program is great"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Everything has been great so far

Cons

none- I dont have any complaints

Advice to Management

none- smart, motivating. Sometimes hard to schedule time with them

"Some great people but very short sighted"

Former Employee - Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great perks such as Summer Party, Christmas party, free breakfast once a month, free pizza once a month, well being talks, an element of flexible working and some really great people.

Cons

Many are overworked and underpaid compared to market rate. America have too much control over the UK and their short sighted approach to hiring and firing clashes with the culture of UK.
    Management tend to have a pigeon approach in that they rarely praise you when you have done well but they will happily fly in and tell you when you haven't done something to their liking.
    Very high level of staff turnover.

Advice to Management

Whilst it is all well and good brining in all the "well being" perks to win the investors in people awards. More often not people just want a fair wage for a fair job and some recognition of the work they are doing. Stop hiding behind gimmicks and actually inspire and lead your teams so that some of them actually stick around!

"Benefits Distinguishing A Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Six-months ago we learned that my wife had a rare form of cancer that requires many diagnostic tests, a team of oncological doctors, chemotherapy, multiple surgeries, and radiation treatments. I needed to quickly get-to-action to understand how we would afford this, determine my work-life balance, and ensure that my wife had the chance to live we want her to have. I'd not chosen Bottomline as an employer for their medical benefits coverage but due to their market opportunity in a very competitive payments solution market.

I made a great choice, if I only use the benefits to evaluate the company. Why? I selected the family medical plan available to any employee knowing that I would pay my employee share, the co-pays, and family/individual deductibles.

Since we never anticipated getting this news, I planned for the normal family benefits in my selection of medical benefits, like most employees, as they "come-with-the-role". I've always been fine with sharing in the benefit insurance costs as I know the employer pays the majority - the same here.

Our immediate reaction was how much beyond our coverage would be covered and what financial means it would take to ensure my wife got healthy. My reaction was it didn't matter how much I'd personally need to spend - even if all our retirement & personal savings would be needed - like most husbands, I'm sure.

What I learned by talking with our head of human resources is that the company's medical plans would assure that our costs would be manageable financially, the work-life balance would not be an issue, and that if we needed anything - just ask for help. This was more true than words can communicate here.

We haven't had any financial hardship and the work-life balance has been a back&forth process where some weeks I'm drawn away from work and when possible, I'm getting my role done.

I've never chosen a company due to benefits but this "life experience" taught me that what "further distinguishes Bottomline" is an offering of medical benefits that anticipates what you need...since few of us plan for this type of illness / disease...who would.

If you are looking for a great company for role, compensation, and career purposes - this is a great place.

However, if you are reading this - ask yourself, "Should I or can i be planning for the unknown for my family and what will the benefits of the company support if I get the bad news?".

I know personally what Bottomline has...as it's given my wife the ability to seek treatment, not require us to spend our life savings, and keep me employed while our family drives thru her treatments toward full-recovery. Nothing in life is certain...but we can make certain choices that can anticipate what we haven't planned for - I'm lucky I chose Bottomline. You could be too!

Cons

If you read the above, it would be difficult to find negatives!

Advice to Management

This company is distinguished by many things...while we could more strongly emphasize the benefits in the hiring and should have a focus on their importance to the individual & family that helps them anticipate for what they might not see in their future.

"Not terrible, but I always had one foot out the door."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Some nice people
    Relative stable business
    Some small perks like pizza fridays, fruit and a Christmas do

Cons

Knows where it wants to go but doesn't want to invest to get there
    A lot of people in senior or strategic positions that are coasting

Advice to Management

Sell-up or make some real investments in technology and good people at the top

"Great company with great people"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helpful coworkers
    Portsmouth office in a nice location

Cons

Lack of resources for many teams
    Lack of product knowledge in each team
    Many teams follow Agile Scrum in name only
    Some teams neglected
    Coworkers constantly shifting teams

Advice to Management

Allow teams to determine one of the two major release variables (deadline or featureset).

"Tough Culture - most difficult experience in my career"

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

The company was fairly stable. They had some good flagship accounts which hedged us from layoffs

Cons

Evenings and weekends were more than occasional. They kept demanding more and more. The salaries were nothing to brag about either. People just kept their heads down and worked. So it wasn't uncommon to work right next to someone for years and not know who they were. It felt like a corporate sweatshop. I understand they revamped their processes since then. I hope they did something about their management and culture.

Advice to Management

People matter. If your middle managers care more about their careers than their teams, you need some new management.

"Great Company!"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Bottomline for over 3 years. Great atmosphere, one of a kind culture, and lots of growth potential.

Cons

Still a business that seems to run 5 or six businesses seperatly . Still working on a "one company" atmosphere. sometimes it seems like one hand does not know what the other hand is doing sespite great efforts at communicaion

Advice to Management

I do not have much more to add here. This company is great and the employees are friendly and helpful. They are willing to see talent, not just education

"No work/life balance"

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people to work with. Job was challenging. Great benefit package.

Cons

Literally no work/life balance. They force you to work long hours in order to make commitments that are unreasonable. They never adhere to scope. They are so hyped up about bending over for the customer that they will commit to anything to make the customer happy at the expense of their employees. Pay is below average and they will try to get out of giving raises as much as they can.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better. Stop making them work ungodly hours. Don't TELL them you care...SHOW them.

"Resting on their laurels"

Current Employee - Consultant in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people amongst the chaff. Great potential due to a very large customer base. Good place to work if you want autonomy as many managers are incapable of managing their teams.

Cons

Rely too much on existing customer base that legacy products generated. Product development is slow and lacking in imagination. Service driven culture is non-existent.
    There's lot's of dead-wood in middle management upwards, with many of them having very poor management skills and very out of their depth in their roles, but allowed to carry on regardless.
    Customer care programme is a bit of as joke. Some people truly seem to believe this program is good, but it's just a marketing exercise really, there's no supporting substance.
    Bad tendency to sell what they can to customers rather than what the customer actually needs.

Advice to Management

Overhaul your management structures and get people into the roles who can actually do the job. Implement a service driven culture based around ITIL to get things moving properly.

"Recognition of a good company, that is working to be great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Company is growing in a positive direction
    -Fast-paced environment
    -Company-wide quarterly meetings
    -Community involvement (charitable donations, heavy involvement with the United Way, annual 5ks which benefit a local charity)
    -People are amazing
    -Generous vacation time
    -Casual dress work environment
    -Family friendly events (i.e. bring your kids to work day, Halloween...)
    -Ice cream truck in Summer!
    -Fresh fruit
    -'Get to Know' programs offer education on Bottomline's different lines of business

Cons

-Fast-paced environment (not for everyone), can create confusion, chaos and lead to a lack of communication

Advice to Management

Work with team to set internal advancement opportunities
    Communication!