Bottomline Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Bottomline Technologies Reviews

Updated May 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Competitive Salary, Great people across all lines of business, Friendly co-workers, Execs take the time to listen to all ideas (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits, good life work balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of resources in most ares making work life balance a challenge (in 30 reviews)

• If you want to work in an under-appreciated place with little to no room for growth, this is the right place for you (in 6 reviews)

"Good People leave or get laid off; Inept management gets raises or promotions"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers that are not managers are great. Unique product lines and partners are good to work with. Free ice cream.

Cons

Anyone with a manager title. They lay off ALL THE TIME, and they let go hard workers with the better attitudes. I've seen too many good people laid off just so their profit margins look good.
    Petty, condescending and judgmental managers who play favorites and if you are not in their circle, your life will be miserable here. Run as fast as you can from this company, as they are trending and spiraling down. Most of the positive reviews are mandated by management or created by HR in an attempt to cover how corrosive and toxic this place is.

Advice to Management

Advise? As if anyone in this company would listen. Most of the tenured team that has had to watch great people leave or get laid off are actively looking to leave.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bottomline Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people, very helpful

Cons

Expect you to work ridiculous hours

"Good company, but beware of Layoffs all of the time"

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

- The only good thing about working at Bottomline was that I was able to get hands-on experience that I can use to polish my resume.
    - Working here led me to discover what career field I am passionate about. However, I probably could have found that elsewhere as well.

Cons

- Upper management is very corrupt. It's not very noticeable but all I can anonymously advise is to beware of it.
    - Salary/bonuses are OK, but they continually have layoffs.

Advice to Management

For the good managers (yes, there definitely are a handful), keep up the good work)!!

"Tasting of the kool-aid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People. The people at this company really do work with and for each other. The people are one of the only things that keep most of us coming back each day.

Cons

The kool-aid is a true thing here at Bottomline... People are not treated equally, pay is all over the place. College students that get hired as part of the special "College Program" get paid more than some employees that have quadruple the experience and have worked in the company for multiple years. Only certain people who are "connected", to the upper echelons, get invited to special company events like Christmas Parties and Summer outings..

The "open door" policy... is only an open door on your way out. (when you get laid off 15 days before Christmas) There is no open door. Nearly everyone I have ever spoken to is afraid of HR and they are supposed to be the most supportive in the company and help when you need it.

POLITICS POLITICS POLITICS... A "flat" organization... What a joke! Dicatorship might be a better word... the simplest things are a huge process and anything that might actually move the company forward into the 21st century gets turned down. Technology and systems are a mess. They continually buy more and more tech and software.. under use it or set it up wrong and then say it was the technology that didn't work. Finally, the worst and most unhealthy con.. is the undermining attacks and treatment by the C level. One day might be all smiles and the next you are fearing being fired for what might be the smallest mistake (Like printing something on the wrong type of paper)

Advice to Management

The Board of Directors seriously needs to read these reviews, step in and make changes. There are so many mid level management members that are successful but, they are blocked by hierarchy, politics and processes that never end. Hoping something happens soon... this is going downhill fast..

"Best Company!!"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

The people at BT are amazing and truly work with and for each other. The energy and enthusiasm is infectious and ideas are welcome at all levels.

Cons

None to report - a great company all around

Advice to Management

Continue to create opportunities for top performers. Employee meetings are informative and energetic allowing employees to understand future opportunity.

"This company is a joke !"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Don't have any pros for this company.

Cons

Company spent a lot of money trying to develop a simple web service, a restful api and failed miserably. The management put people who have no knowledge of the technologies in charge of the project. Those people only know how to play politics. They completely ruined the project.

Advice to Management

Put the people who can do the job to the position. Not the people who can talk and who can go to bar with you after work.

"My experience working at Bottomline Technologies"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bottomline Technologies is a company with sound core values, making it a high quality work environment for high quality employees. The company encourages and rewards a strong work ethic, not only with regard to working hard but even more so working smart and working collaboratively with your peers. At Bottomline Technologies we leverage current technologies and project management techniques, making it an ideal work environment for technology enthusiasts to expand their knowledge-bases. Furthermore we are poised to make a significant mark on the state-of-the art for Digital Banking Solutions.

Cons

The environment at Bottomline is fast-paced. Look elsewhere if you are seeking a passive work environment where it's easy to blend in!

Advice to Management

Continue to stick to the core values that have created a solid, stable business that is poised for growth!

"It's a Good Time to be at BT!"

Current Employee - New Hampshire in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - New Hampshire in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full of opportunity. People are dedicated, kind, curious and driven to WIN and to Win together.

The business is investing in future.

Great business opportunities, customer following and new technologies that our customers want and need to grow their businesses.

Family friendly and community minded- kids day, trick or treating, race 4 a cause, quarterly charitable giving, fun United Way campaign activities.

Communication is active and culture is positive.

Great benefits, for the most part.

Cons

Communication around performance is inconsistent. Some people get reviews, some people don't. This can create an uneven playing field for career growth.
    Work hours can be very long.

Advice to Management

No matter how stressful things become, now matter how many multiple competing priorities you have to manage, remember that the way you interact with your employees creates impressions. Remember that your employees' experience with is a significant factor in their engagement and desire to stay and grow with the company.

I am very happy at BT - but addressing the cons and advise in this review would be greatly appreciated.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

I recently started at Bottomline and I must say it is a fantastic place to work. The atmosphere is very comfortable and everyone in the office is extremely welcoming. It is also a fast pace company with a lot of room for mobility. It is an exciting place to be and I would certainly recommend it to other aspiring professionals.

Cons

I can't think of any cons in regards to working with BT.

"Great People, Great Place"

Current Employee - Developer in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Questions are welcomed and people will do their best to answer them
    2) Many people from all around the org chart are willing to take time out to talk to you if you need time with them
    3) The benefits are very good, good dental, health, some 401k matching, life insurance
    4) Everyone seems to be very happy and invested in their positions
    5) They embrace agile in coding
    6) A real sense of care is given by the company
    7) quarterly bonuses

have had no problems with my manager, any other manager, have been able to talk to and get to know the CEO a little bit here and there. I'm a recent hire in an entry-level position and Iove it. Swapping to other positions seems very possible and everyone seems to be supportive of it. Lots of nice little things like keurig coffee and tea, a wonderful coffee machine, and fruit in the break rooms.

If you are coming out of college, consider applying, they have a great program getting you acclimated. They expect work out of you but if you give it to them, they'll reward you in kind.

Cons

Not too many cons to be honest.
    depending on the person it might be a con that its a very fast moving company so solid performance is expected and a good amount of work will be required. Some people might find the emphasis on the company's philosophy a little overwhelming but I have no problem with it.

Advice to Management

About the only thing I'd say is that, while the college hires got a good mix of experience of the company, other employees did not. A boon for college hires but the same would be good for other employees that get hired to get some of the training