Bouchard Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 2, 2018

2.1
Morton S. Bouchard III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The pay is very good for Long Island, very little overtime" (in 4 reviews)

• "Bouchard have a strong support for his crew members and the people working for the company" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "This isn't the type of job you should take if you have a family and value job security" (in 5 reviews)

• "The turn over rate at this company is Luke a revolving door" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great"

I worked at Bouchard Transportation full-time

Pros

Good Pay, Great fleet and equipment.

Cons

Hard work and little sleep but thats tug life

Bouchard Transportation Response

Mar 26, 2018 – Operations

Thank you for recognizing Bouchard for one of the best fleets in the Jones Act Trade
    We value our hard working employees and encourage you to take the time to rest and abide by the work rest rules... More

"Tankerman"

Pros

The pay is good and that's it.

Cons

Never have a relief, benefits are okay. Office management is unorganized.

"Safety is lacking"

Current Employee - Able Seaman in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Able Seaman in Melville, NY

I have been working at Bouchard Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, average crew, good way to get started on ATBs.

Cons

As a mariner, it’s not a good long-term option. Company lacks safety culture. Of all of the vessels I have ever worked on, Bouchard’s may be the worst maintained, both boat and barge. Safety is my number one concern, and the company needs to start taking it seriously before more people die.

Advice to Management

Send office personnel, specifically safety coordinators, to the boats to see how bad they look.

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

I worked at Bouchard Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like working at the most depressing company ever, this is the place for you.

Cons

CEO should be committed. I was warned by the Agency that the CEO could be "difficult" ... that was putting it mildly. After reading all the other reviews posted, it all makes sense now and I actually got off lucky. He fired me the same day I started ... and yes, as someone else mentioned, it was while he was at a liquid lunch!

"Narine"

Former Employee - Marine in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marine in New York, NY

I worked at Bouchard Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits were ok

Cons

Owner should be committed to nearest mental health institution. Abusive to say the least.

Advice to Management

Quit

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Able Bodied Seaman in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Able Bodied Seaman in New York, NY

I worked at Bouchard Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and 401k were good

Cons

Crewing, Management, schedule, growth. I was asked to help out and stay extra time which I didn't mind but when they take advantage of you and keep you on for weeks extra, it makes planning anything at home very hard

Advice to Management

Find a competent crewing department and stop laying entire boats off for a few days at a time.

"Run Away"

I worked at Bouchard Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The stories you will have to tell after you leave will astonish your friends for years.

Cons

Too many to list. Read the prior reviews. From signing in/out for the restroom to the sadistic narcissist CEO, it is all true.

"“Rats get fat while brave men die” saw this today"

Current Employee - Mortys Birth Father
    Current Employee - Mortys Birth Father

I have been working at Bouchard Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money money money that’s it nothing about this company is positive. If you need experience get it and run that’s all I can say

Cons

This company does not care about its employees period they show no regard to safety they treat people like checker pieces and move you around where ever they feel is best. If you call the DPA with any issues they shrug it off and try to defend the issues. Basically the obnoxious owner all 5 foot of him scares these office personnel so much they would rather sweep issues under the rug then go to him and face whatever drunken rage filled rant he may hurl at them. At the end of the day this company isn’t worth losing your life for. No company is. This all mighty clown gets on here and reads the reviews because he can’t handle the truth of what this company has become. He calls any honest review a lie essentially. But I can honestly say these reviews are almost all truth in some way. It’s time for every person to get the truth out about this company. Safety is not a priority no matter how much they say it is. Employees from the office to the vessel are nothing to the owner and he has no issue “laying you off”. If his IQ was as high as is ego the company may be something some day. But it will never change

Advice to Management

Strap on a life vest get your credentials to be on a vessel. Stay on 1 unit for 1 year and see what really goes on if that isn’t a wake up call for you to experience everything first hand then sell. You own the company so as long as you’re on the unit you can make sure it won’t blow up or sink. Not a new unit either. Don’t be scared Man up. Till then sit down and watch this company crumble away. Ps how’s the 275 going for ya?

"Bouchard transportation is a good place to start your maritime career."

Current Employee - AB Deck Hand in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - AB Deck Hand in Melville, NY

I have been working at Bouchard Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always get paid on time and Northeast runs are great.
    Paid travel tax free and eat like a king on the tug.

Cons

Trying to move up the ladder seems to be quite an accomplishment because can’t keep a steady crewing department it’s a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Promote from within the company before outsourcing new employees.

Bouchard Transportation Response

Mar 26, 2018 – Operations

We agree with promoting from within and support AB’S moving up through training
    Please call and I will personally see that this is addressed
    Mr Bouchard

"Worst company known to man"

I worked at Bouchard Transportation full-time

Pros

There are none. You will probably get paid a lot but it’s not real money it’s blood money. War pay to be exact.

Cons

Where do I begin? Signing in and out to the bathroom. Being told one thing and the next minute another. Being told your incompetent and then great the next. And the son and daughter? Both are jokes. What do they do all day? Sorry excuses for human beings. And Mr. Bouchard oh I mean SIR. Are you kidding me? Who do you think you are? Last time I checked you weren’t GOD. This place is the worst thing that can ever happen to you. So please don’t ever take a job here. you will be sorry!

Advice to Management

Karma I can’t wait to see it. U will go down one day after all the lives you ruined.