Boulder Valley School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Christopher King

1. "custodian"

Current Employee - Custodian in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Custodian in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Boulder Valley School District part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good people good benefits good pay

Cons

its at Night so i dont like it much. i try to come in early some times

2. "Assistant High School Baseball Coach"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dacono, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dacono, CO

I worked at Boulder Valley School District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provided some PERA benefits.

Cons

Certifications and bus driving qualifications were mandatory even though assistance coaches never had a drive a bus.

Advice to Management

BVSD is great for teachers and full-time employees, but ease up on some of the requirements and mandatory certifications for part-time coaches.

3. "Mixed experiences"

Former Employee - Teacher in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Teacher in Boulder, CO

I worked at Boulder Valley School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic colleagues, students and funding base. Generally more stable programming than other districts. For independent strivers, growth opportunities can be found and sought.

Cons

Ego-driven power politics within buildings, especially at high school level. Too many decisions made for good of adults and systems rather than students. Too little fostering/encouragement of employee growth;.

Advice to Management

Conduct annual, anonymous staff satisfaction surveys (akin to parent survey) in each building with focus on collegial and supportive culture.

5. "Just When You Think You're Doing a Good Job..."

Former Employee - Buyer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Buyer in Boulder, CO

Pros

It started out fine at first with people being friendly and caring.

Cons

I thought things were going fine about 6-7 months into my job. My supervisor had nothing but good things to say about me and my performance. It was chaotic and I felt I was doing okay. We were understaffed, so she asked me to take on more work which I did. Next thing I know my supervisor chews me out for all these mistakes I had supposedly made with our contracts and for not informing her of any issues. The truth is project managers and attorneys had made these mistakes and I took the blame. I admit I did forget to include her on some communication with the project managers, but I felt she overreacted. She was nit-picking everything about my performance and even my dress and appearance. I have never dressed inappropriately but she said I was wearing slippers on a casual Friday (they were clogs). Next thing I knew, I was on a performance plan where the writing was on the wall and I knew I was going to lose my job by a certain date. I felt it was in my best interest to resign, so that's what I did.

Advice to Management

The project managers have too much power over the procurement actions and management refuses to do anything about it. My boss is really a horrible manager, but they chalk it up to "that's just the way _______ is". She's won numerous awards for her contributions to various procurement organizations, so the District looks good. There is no way anyone will confront her about her negative actions.

6. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Colorado in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Colorado in Boulder, CO

I worked at Boulder Valley School District (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly educated community, value learning and education

Cons

BVSD, as well as the rest of CO, doesn't not pay those in education well.

"Food Service Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Boulder Valley School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are flexible and during the day so you can still work and pick up the kids from school after it gets out.

Cons

There are no benefits for working part time, and they tell you that you can move into a full time position but they are never available. Therefore most everyone works with no benefits at all.

Advice to Management

Open more positions that have benefits attached or give partial benefits to the part time employees.

8. "Lacrosse Coach"

Former Employee - Co-Head Mens Lacrosse Coach in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Co-Head Mens Lacrosse Coach in Boulder, CO

I worked at Boulder Valley School District part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to share my knowledge and love for the gram of lacrosse with the youth. Made a lot of solid connections and friendships over the years.

Cons

Not enough time in the season to get to work on everything we would like to work on and teach. School District only allows for a couple of paid positions per program and pay usually doesn't compare with time put in.

9. "Great for educators, staff and students."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Boulder Valley School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The education and well being of students still comes first here. This is one of the few districts left that still appreciates good teachers and retains them.

Cons

It's hard to get in because many experienced teachers are coming here for jobs.

10. "Engaged students and phenomenal colleagues."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Boulder Valley School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you entered the teaching profession because you love your content and the world of ideas, if you enjoy teaching with A+ faculty and learning along with motivated students, then Summit is a good fit for you. The focus is on academic learning, and it is OK to be a little nerdy. Teachers have a lot of control over how they teach and the materials they use. There is also less emphasis on test scores than in many other schools these days.

Cons

As a small charter with a reputation for excellence (3 national blue ribbons), expectations are very high, and while some find the environment invigorating, others find it pretty stressful. Parents are very demanding, but civil for the most part. However, if you have trouble setting boundaries, burnout may be a real challenge. The school is also governed by a parent Board of Directors, not educators, so you should expect to spend more time explaining (and sometimes justifying) what you do than you would in a regular public school.

Advice to Management

Modify the Board make-up to include some people who are not parents; give more authority to the principal for the running of the school.

11. "Very Professional leaders who also manage well"

Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Boulder, CO

I worked at Boulder Valley School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

well aimed and operated organization

Cons

dealing with fixed and aging tax revenue base