BounceX Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 4, 2019

4.6
Ryan Urban

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Business, technology, and digital marketing industry" (in 9 reviews)

• "This is my first role where I have had a true work/ life balance and particularly one of which I have not felt guilty or judged for having" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be a challenge but, at least for me, the work is exciting enough that I’m happy to dedicate much of my time to BounceX" (in 12 reviews)

• "Yes we work hard and sometimes that means long hours but that's simply because a high percentage of people who work here are incredibly driven" (in 14 reviews)

"I Love It"

I have been working at BounceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(To squash any rumors: I am not an executive writing this).

I've been at BounceX for a bit over a year, and I'm still incredibly impressed. This place is special, there's no denying it.

Another reviewer said it best: getting a job here is competitive, but internal competition isn't an issue. People are genuinely supportive of one another and the general attitude is that everyone here wants everyone to succeed.

Arguably the biggest pro of working at BounceX is that we truly become a necessary part of most of our clients’ business. We make a difference, we’re respected, and we get to collaborate as partners and not just as a vendor.

People work very hard here. It’s hard to stand out because everyone is so damn driven. If you’re looking for a company where it’s easy to shine, BounceX is not the place for you. Most people are high-performers and it’s not part of the culture to seek out public praise. People works as teams, not individuals.

Cons

There isn’t pressure to stay late, but there is a lot to get done. Work-life balance can be a challenge but, at least for me, the work is exciting enough that I’m happy to dedicate much of my time to BounceX.

People are a little less social than normal because we’re in a temporary working space. However, I’d emphasize that this is a temporary problem and really isn’t that bad.

Transparency into the product roadmap has been limited at times, but this is definitely improving.

Advice to Management

More all-hands. Everything is happening so quickly so it's nice to have visibility into what's ahead.

2. "Growing company, turning a new corner"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at BounceX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands down, I've never worked with such smart, driven, and hard working people. I think every growing software company has it's challenges, and BounceX certainly is up there one of the most innovative products. The company and people are committed to making sure your values and individualism are heard. We have a strong focus on diversity and inclusion here, and the leadership team is listening and making strong and positive changes. Sure, the product could always be better, but go to another tech company and you'll hear the same gripes - work life balance, product not perfect, too many office politics. The grass isn't always greener, folks. Health benefits, parental leave, sabbatical, PTO, VTO, 401k are some of the best in the industry. People support each other and their career development, through ups and downs and with every turn of the company. Really cool opportunities to join culture groups, employee groups, and volunteer during work and after hours. No pressure to "stay late to move ahead mentality."

Cons

I've experience ups and downs here at BounceX - just with other tech and product focused companies, there will be roadblocks and challenges. Temp space has caused disconnect, but we will be moving to 1WTC soon. Just like other tech companies, product launches and onboarding could be smoother. Don't get rid of the small perks that make a big impact - coaching, UK-US buddy system, weekly breakfasts, and volunteer opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your teams. Input matters, but output matters just as much. Stay humble and focused. Make strong moves, stay focused.

"Rapidly Growing Company of Self-Starters"

I have been working at BounceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BounceX is an extremely exciting place to work. The environment is fast-paced and encourages continual curiosity.

Your ideas are valued-- the leadership team is invested in your growth, and outside-of-the-box thinking is the norm. An interest in continually improving yourself will get you far here.

It's stimulating-- hours are long and the work is challenging but rewarding. Though you are expected to operate with a healthy level of autonomy, you don't ever feel like you are working alone or without gratitude. Perks and food are excellent.

The people. Hands down the best group of co-workers I have ever had. Getting a job here is competitive, but internal competition is minimal-- there is an astounding level of teamwork and support. I am friends with many of my co-workers.

The CEO-- Ryan is an incredible leader. He's warm and down to earth. He's definitely out there, but he ensures that the office atmosphere stays friendly, exciting and positive. He eats with a different employee every single day.

You are overestimated and pushed-- in a good way. You are constantly given projects that stretch your knowledge and current ability. They hire very smart people and then truly develop them into the best version of themselves.

Cons

Some people here do struggle with work/life balance, though I have never seen long hours encouraged by management. The types of people who work here generally hold themselves to high standards and can many times be seen working late into the night.

Advice to Management

Stay dedicated to growing top employees.

Continue to hire intelligently and listening to a multitude of opinions.

Up the cadence of all company meetings. We are growing so fast that this is the best chance we have to get an updated grasp on what is happening cross-departmentally.

"Growing pains"

I have been working at BounceX full-time

Pros

- Generally flexible schedule when you need it
    - Basic perks of a successful startup
    - Great PTO policies leave policies (from bereavement to marriage and everything in between)
    - CEO is eccentric, but a sincerely kind, loving guy who is genuinely interested in the people at the company

Cons

- Long hours
    - Seemingly internal political games
    - A quality health insurance plan is lacking
    - Senior Leadership/Execs comes off as cold

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on innovating product offerings, but also what it takes to take it to market in an effective way. Hiring more people focused on ensuring the company has what it needs to expand internally/externally without it being a chaotic process will lead to happier people.

Invest in your people

Dec 11, 2018 – HRBP

Thank you for your feedback! We are so pleased that you’ve made mention of our extensive leave policies. I'm personally proud to work for a company that understands each employees personal life is... More

5. "Customer Success"

I have been working at BounceX full-time

Pros

-Incredible team of outgoing, hard-working individuals
    -One of the most innovative, caring, humble, and compassionate CEOs I have ever met or spent time with
    -An incredible product
    -Great company culture and employee retention

Cons

-None: keep doing what you are doing

Advice to Management

-Keep hiring great candidates and building a culture where people love coming to work everyday

"Great Product but leadership issues abound"

I worked at BounceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has an amazing product and Ryan Urban (CEO) has an amazing vision and passion for the product and the people who work at Bounce. The people working at Bounce are very smart and always have the clients best interest at heart.

Cons

Senior Leadership is non-existent. Almost every department within the organization is led by someone who has little to no leadership or managerial experience. This lack of leadership trickles down to people not feeling like there is room for growth since their managers don't know how to train their teams on how to grow with the company.

There is A LOT of favoritism and people moving up the line who are not qualified for the positions they hold.

More focus should be placed on core values of the company and the amazing work they do rather than the perks that come with working at Bounce.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people who are necessarily friends of Sr. Leadership and come up with clear, achievable growth plans for your employees. You have a great team there. Do not ignore them

Oct 26, 2018 – HRBP

Thank you for reaching out! Feedback is a really important way for us to continue to improve and grow as a company. It is never easy to hear constructive feedback but we are hopeful that it helps us... More

"Company is in the midst of an identity crisis"

I have been working at BounceX full-time

Pros

Many coworkers are genuinely smart, hardworking, and make coming into work a pleasure.

Company recently raised a round of capital from Battery Ventures, which is a good signal towards future growth.

New office coming soon?

Cons

The company's growth is choked by an outdated platform, over-reliance on manual work/data entry, and lack of investment in employee growth and empowerment. The engineering department is woefully small for a SAAS company.

The company has stagnated severely from a corporate strategy perspective as well. Competitors have reached parity as far as technology goes, and BounceX only gets contracts from its performance guarantee, which limits scalability. The c-suite can't seem to commit to a decision as to where the company is going.

The corporate culture is still pained by clear favoritism driven by the senior leadership. There's a severe lack of women in senior leadership as well, and the company suffers for it. There's very little leadership experience at the company in general. Most teams are dominated by "bro culture".

Compensation is low relative to the industry averages.

Advice to Management

Start acting like a real company. Focus on scalable software and processes and stop chasing after new or limited-impact ideas for a quarter and then abandoning them. Invest heavily in engineering, and develop a corporate strategy that puts us head and shoulders above our competitors, or hire senior leadership who is capable of making those decisions.

Oct 25, 2018 – HRBP

Thanks so much for reaching out with your feedback. While it is always hard to hear constructive criticism, reviews like this help us to get better - and we are always striving to get better.
    To... More

"Great place to grow"

I have been working at BounceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing group of people
    Inclusive culture, focus on diversity, LBGTQ, and women in tech
    People are humble and constantly helping each other, rather than being cutthroat or competitive
    There's the opportunity to progress your career, get promoted, or switch to other departments if you work hard and prove yourself
    Great place to start a career, and the "BounceU" presentations that are held teach important skills like financial wellness
    The technology is actually impactful and drives real, visible results on client's websites, which is a rewarding thing to be working towards

Cons

Disorganization and chaos in product and engineering departments; however, several hires in the past 6 months have worked on fixing this and now the outlook is a lot better, and also despite this disorganization, the product is now better than ever
    At times, lack of transparency from upper management
    Some clear favoritism from upper management
    Some departments still need to work on figuring out a system of career pathing, so that employees will stay and continue to grow their careers here

Advice to Management

You've done a good job helping the company mature from startup to "real" company; keep focusing on that and don't be afraid of new processes and rules -- they're necessary if we want to join the big leagues

"Excellent experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BounceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Lovely people to work with. Everyone is open to any questions you may have.
    2. Benefits are top-notch.
    3. Perks, including food, drink, and fun company outings, are A+.
    4. Exciting time in the growth stage, considering we're gearing up for IPO and working out the kinks related to scaling
    5. Very interesting products and software that we get to work with.
    6. The CEO is down-to-earth and knows how to have fun. Has a great head on his shoulders. You can tell he loves the company. Gives great food for thought whenever you get to hear him speak.
    7. Incredible management. Every manager I've worked with so far has been very open to suggestions and clearing up any confusions I had.

Cons

Came in expecting a kind of snobbish corporate culture, so I went out and bought business casual attire for the gig. Was told a couple days in to relax and enjoy myself. I guess this isn't really a con after all...

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people. Take care of those who stick around. Create opportunities for growth within the company. Make sure people feel well compensated for their efforts.

10. "Manager"

Pros

Great experience with BounceX, very positive

Cons

None to mention as of now